Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digging 1x1 vertical shafts straight down with channels  (Read 2690 times)

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Digging 1x1 vertical shafts straight down with channels
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:40:46 am »

Is anyone else having trouble digging 1x1 vertical shafts straight down with channels for many z-levels? It used to be that when I would do this, a miner would start digging from the top and then get 'stuck' in the hole he'd dug, requiring him to keep digging until he reached the bottom.  I would generally do this when digging a garbage chute or something similar.

Seems like in the new version when I try to do this, the miners only dig down a z-level for two before giving up and climbing out of the hole. Then they can't get back in so they never finish the shaft.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging 1x1 vertical shafts straight down with channels
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:45:50 am »

I've had this. I got around by using a parallel up/down stairs which was floored over once the shaft was finished. Although I suppose your could try smoothing the walls of the first level before digging further.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 04:02:42 am »

I also dig a parallel staircase, but don't bother to floor it over afterwards. In 0.40.24 the bone crafter could get down there to make ¤Elf Bone Greaves¤, but it seems sapient bones are now off limits? Of course, if you're in a reanimated biome you want to ensure what goes down doesn't come up again...
I would advice against smooting, as there is a significant risk the digger would just sit at the bottom of the hole and mope or go to sleep rather than dig, so you'd end up having to send someone else to dig a path out.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 04:07:34 am »

This totally used to work though, I used to do it all the time. I wonder when it changed.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 06:17:41 am »

build an up/down staircase and carve it one by one from top to buttom

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 07:00:11 am »

This totally used to work though, I used to do it all the time. I wonder when it changed.
It changed when climbing was introduced.