Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't eat sentiet meat, why? And how to fix?  (Read 6955 times)

stillrabbit730

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't eat sentiet meat, why? And how to fix?
« on: December 11, 2015, 06:00:48 pm »

Like the name says in the newest update you are unable to eat the meat of a sentient beings, why is this? If I want to eat an elf I should be able to, why has this been added? And how would someone fix this issir

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't eat sentiet meat, why? And how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 06:11:23 pm »

Unfortunately, this is an ethic-related issue, which occurs since it was reworked.
There is no easy raw-modding-workaround, sadly.
One forum member talked about creating an interaction which would lead to removing the [can_learn]-tag of a sapient being  - therefore being able to eat the flesh and use the body material for weapons/armor/clothing again, but besides that, nope, no fix.

Hopefully, we will soon be able to do the old nasty/evil stuff again, which leads to people (who don't know DF) raising their eyebrows, if you tell them what game you play.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:13:35 pm by SaD-82 »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 06:46:41 pm »

The thing about it that pisses me off is that it's ethics-blind. If you the ethics of the playable civs, or mod goblins/kobolds to be playable, you'll still be affected by it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 07:44:35 pm »

Yeah, elves and goblins should not be hit by this.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 07:47:40 pm »

Elves, maybe. Goblins, definitely if dark fortress natives, might be logical for a human-native goblin to be self-conscious about not being stereotypical. o3o

Outsiders also maybe should be exempt from ethics. >.>
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 12:48:34 am »

I must confess that I don't see the point of this restriction. It's quite possible for one's character to go against just about everything else his civ stands for, so it seems quite odd for the game to draw the line at cannibalism. Heck, you can still butcher sapients like there's no tomorrow.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 12:51:17 am »

I must confess that I don't see the point of this restriction. It's quite possible for one's character to go against just about everything else his civ stands for, so it seems quite odd for the game to draw the line at cannibalism. Heck, you can still butcher sapients like there's no tomorrow.

Agreed. What's even worse is I can't even fathom HOW Toady could've changed this without it being a deliberate change. Granted, if I had any understanding of the source code, I probably COULD fathom it, but it still seems rather out there. -w-
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 02:39:34 am »

Animal men and goblin adventurers take on the ethics of their home civs which means some goblins eat dwarf and others don't. Same with elves. This is a change, which needs to be handled in a different way to the way it was handled before. Therefore it's not too difficult to imagine that something along the line went wrong due to an incorrect variable, quotation mark or space which caused the current situation. Bug report it and hope it'll be fixed soon.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 02:43:44 am »

Hadn't thought of it that way but yeah that's really a good point. Grabbing a slice of elf meat when I'm too busy to hunt is almost never the worst thing I do in a given day. I recently started skinning people I'd killed so I could carry their skins like rolled up posters then throw them in the middle of drinking halls and reanimate them.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 07:15:29 am »

I have to say, while this sorta annoys me, it also makes me laugh that the Dorf solution to it is making an interaction that basically makes your target mentally retarded.

Which makes it fine to eat that person's meat.

Let me reiterate that.

Mentally retarded=suitable for eating

I am actually glad I have the opportunity to say this because of this update.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 09:10:37 am »

Well, I added the interaction because I didn't want to retard my megabeasts and still wanted to be able to make use of their improved material goodies, but yeah... being able to just tag people with not being able to learn is amusing. I should have it wear off after a while I guess.

Fun way to place bets! See a fight breaking out, bet who you think will win by tagging the loser with the can_eat interaction.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 11:25:13 am »

Well, I added the interaction because I didn't want to retard my megabeasts and still wanted to be able to make use of their improved material goodies, but yeah... being able to just tag people with not being able to learn is amusing. I should have it wear off after a while I guess.

Fun way to place bets! See a fight breaking out, bet who you think will win by tagging the loser with the can_eat interaction.

Derp. Of course, in the case of megabeasts the alternative solution is to give them natural skills to make up for being unable to learn.

Is there maybe a way to designate a CORPSE and remove the flag from it? That way it doesn't hinge on doing that to a still living target.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 12:34:36 pm »

I tried that at first but couldn't figure out the flags so I gave up since the retardzap worked right away.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 01:17:26 pm »

Ah, dang. I need to try it. As usual I'd have to copy the "animate corpse" interaction from the secret or disturbance file...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 01:34:54 pm »

Yeah, I tried that but it wasn't targeting it right, though I didn't mess with it further since I was fiddling with lots of other stuff. Since I got a rigged in version of parchment/papyrus/scroll roller/book binding in now I think I'll go back to fixing the corpse thing.
Pages: [1] 2