Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: religious needs not being met (for polytheist dwarves)  (Read 6336 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
religious needs not being met (for polytheist dwarves)
« on: December 11, 2015, 09:06:44 pm »

I've noticed dwarves who worship multiple deities slowly sliding down into being demotivated, because they only pray to one of their deities at my pantheon temple, and for their other deities their thoughts show that they are 'unable to pray to <deity>'

Anyone know if that's fixable? Does designating multiple, specialized temples work?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:37:55 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: religious needs not being met
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 10:54:31 pm »

Are you running 42.02? This was common in 42.01, but I haven't seen much of it since the update.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 02:58:42 am »

Are you running 42.02? This was common in 42.01, but I haven't seen much of it since the update.

That was a different kind of bug. Sounds like this one is from a dwarf not choosing to pray to all his gods, or possibly not having enough time to do all of them and stay happy.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 08:02:10 am »

That was a different kind of bug. Sounds like this one is from a dwarf not choosing to pray to all his gods, or possibly not having enough time to do all of them and stay happy.

Yeah I am running 42.02, and I think it's the former (not choosing to pray to all of his gods) more than the latter. Dwarf does socialize, meditate on mountains and generally has enough time to do leisure stuff, but in 3 years time he has only ever prayed to one out of his 3 gods. Same for another dwarf with 3 gods.

I'll wait until the next version is out and see if it persists there, if so, I'll put it on Mantis.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 08:16:31 pm »

It's out!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 08:32:13 pm »

Sadly, the new version did not fix this behaviour. Reported it on Mantis (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9324), trying to figure out a workaround now. Sadly, building lots of single deity temples did not solve it. They refuse to go there, and keep praying to one god, and if I force them to move by removing the temple they are praying in / using civilian alert and burrows, they just adopt the single temple's deity as their next singular target of worship.
Now going to try a combination of single temples and nefarious use of civilian alert burrows. I think, with some micromanaging (as in forbid / allow certain temples every few dwarf weeks) I might be able to get those religious needs met.

It's a huge pain though. It basically makes every polytheist dwarf completely useless after 2 or so years in your fort :(
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:35:52 pm by martinuzz »

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 08:38:25 pm »

Do all dwarves really need to pray that much? Do dwarves that don't care much about religion not need to pray as much? Do dwarves that don't care much about religion tend to worship gods less ardently? I see it's time for some science.

Also, try a temple to ALL gods, see if that works.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 08:49:20 pm »

Do all dwarves really need to pray that much? Do dwarves that don't care much about religion not need to pray as much? Do dwarves that don't care much about religion tend to worship gods less ardently? I see it's time for some science.

Also, try a temple to ALL gods, see if that works.

Doesn't in my case. I have a temple to each of the civ's gods, plus one to ALL gods, and I still have dorfs distracted by being unable to pray (despite the availability of both a temple to the specific diety they want to pray to, and a pantheistic temple).

This is on 42.02. Downloading 42.03 now.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: religious needs not being met (for polytheist dwarves)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 09:02:47 pm »

Try JUST one temple to ALL gods.
Sigtext!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 12:30:06 am »

I guess you don't know what pantheon means in my first post.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 10:38:58 am »

I think he was either replying to the post before his that had a pantheon temple AND individual ones and/or assumed you had that setup as well.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 12:39:56 pm »

Okay. I have managed to find a temporary workaround for this problem. It does not involve burrows. Burrows will not help here. It does require micromanagement, sadly.

1) For every deity your dwarves have, designate 1 temple from a (i) meeting zone or room.
2) Once every few dwarf weeks, (l)>>(X)retire one temple location, each time a different one. remove the meeting area designation from that zone, or delete the zone.
3) check your unit list to see that the problematic dwarves that were stuck praying or meditating in the currently non existing temple are actually using the other temples now.
4) Once your dwarves did some nescessary praying, recreate the deleted temple, and go back to 2) for the next god's temple
5) Keep up the rotation.

Note 1) I've found that only removing the meeting zone or room does not fix it. The temple location also needs to be retired. My dwarves were praying and meditating in the tavern when I didn't remove the location.
Note 2) I prefer using zones over rooms, or rooms from chairless tables. Don't want eating dwarves messing up my temples, and temples designated from beds don't work, since they will not be given a dancefloor, which is apparently needed to pray.
Note 3) For dwarves that worship more than 2 deities, you will need to demolish more than one temple at a time, specific to their combination. This is where this becomes a huge pain.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:52:17 pm by martinuzz »

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 02:11:11 pm »

I think he was either replying to the post before his that had a pantheon temple AND individual ones and/or assumed you had that setup as well.

The first. I wasn't sure if that would fix his problem, despite it not solving OP's problem.
Sigtext!

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 06:27:34 pm »

I made a giant room, and layed down 10x10 i-m-l-a-* zones in it, one for each diety and one for the non-specific Unidwarfian church.  I put a chest in each, and my dwarves seem quite happy about.  The only unhappy dwarf I has is the one without any legs laying in a workshop.  He's apparently hungry, thirsty, lonely, and frustrated. But I had almost finished my hospital last night (after I noticed him laying there) so just as soon as someone goes to the masons shop to make a chest, that one dwarf should be much happier.