Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.03 Released  (Read 61966 times)

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.03 Released
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 08:24:34 pm »

That 64 bit test will that be a public release?

When might my dwarf military be able to wear more then one sock?

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 09:06:20 pm »

...In this release? He _did_ say he fixed something with equipment...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 09:23:26 pm »

(*) Made training marksdwarves want both combat and training ammunition and fetch stacks appropriately (thanks to ag for analyzing this one)
   (*) Made edible seed-type growths gatherable
And there was much rejoicing!  :D

edit: derp--
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 03:13:08 am by TBeholder »
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 11:12:18 pm »

...In this release? He _did_ say he fixed something with equipment...
That was just a new problem from 42.01 and not the more long standing one.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 11:38:24 pm »

Thank you for your dedication at improving the game Toady, great work !

waveclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 12:38:43 am »

Thank you, Toady, for all this wonderful work.

Generated a new large world, Anenu Mare, "The Planet of Soul" currently enjoying it's 341st year in the Age of Myth.  :D

The evolution of long-lived worlds is quite dynamic in this version now that they don't suffer infant mortality. Every year cities are rising up, falling down and ruins pockmarking the sea of elven outposts.

I have rebuilt my custom Linux package of vanilla if someone wants to try them:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wonder if might be possible in this release to walk into a retired fortress as an adventurer and read ones way to a free medical license?

Time to get some probing literature piled up.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 02:43:01 am »

Indeed, there is nothing that makes me laugh quite like watching those goblins jump to their death. :)

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.
Vjek is god of traps. Had the privilege to examine one of his saves once (can't remember why exactly, something to do with TinyPirate's book I think). Brutal efficiency to the point of awe-inspiring beauty. Only way to describe it.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2015, 04:23:55 am »

thank you again from Italy for this new release!

One question, the major bug to the bins is fixed?

Quote from: dennislp3
more than a "boost". if the dwarves don't have anywhere to pray, socialize/party, or read then they start to develop negative thoughts which can lead to tantrums when combined with other stressors. Definitely a necessity...the library/tavern/temple combo has essentially replaced "idle" time and dwarves will prefer to do those things instead of just stand around idle.

Values are simply ideas that dwarves have...IE believing hard work is good or prefering peace over war.

Books can be written on topics and those include values. When a dwarf reads a book about values they will start to take on the values of the books...IE a book about working hard will make dwarves value hard work more.

The rate these values transfer or the chance that they even do is not something I know...I imagine there will needs to be extensive amounts of science done on the topic before we have solid answer

mmmh, I see, so we have more stuff to manage for useless dorfs. FUN!

Quote from: greycat
As dennislp3 says, the new locations are essential to fulfilling your dwarves' inner needs.  You can probably do without a library (unless Science indicates otherwise), but a temple and a tavern are both pretty critical.  A significant number of your dwarves will worship a deity, and will need a place to pray, or they will start to become upset.  I'm not as clear on how the tavern works, but it allows performance art (music, dance, poetry recitals) that definitely improves moods.

The library allows you to produce and copy written works, if you want to pursue that.

is it ok to build one temple for all the deities? or different deities require personal temples?

thanks to both of you for the explanations

http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

PFunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2015, 05:22:22 am »

This was the version I was waiting for before jumping in.

Many thanks.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2015, 08:57:38 am »

(*) Stopped cats from dying of alcohol poisoning after walking over damp tavern floors and cleaning themselves (reduced effect)

That's amazing.
Finis sanctificat media.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2015, 10:33:24 am »

Quote from: greycat
As dennislp3 says, the new locations are essential to fulfilling your dwarves' inner needs.  You can probably do without a library (unless Science indicates otherwise), but a temple and a tavern are both pretty critical.  A significant number of your dwarves will worship a deity, and will need a place to pray, or they will start to become upset.  I'm not as clear on how the tavern works, but it allows performance art (music, dance, poetry recitals) that definitely improves moods.

The library allows you to produce and copy written works, if you want to pursue that.

is it ok to build one temple for all the deities? or different deities require personal temples?
Yes, you can build polytheistic temples, choose the "No Specific Deity" option when you create the location. It will do less for dorf happiness, but it's less work than making multiple single-deity temples, I guess. I've always just gone the hard route though.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2015, 12:09:22 pm »

Is it verified that a non-specific temple is worse than a bunch of specific temples?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2015, 02:10:26 pm »

One question, the major bug to the bins is fixed?

Which "bug" is that?  Are you talking about the hauling behavior from 0.34 to early 0.40, where dwarves would take a bin out of the stockpile, carry it to a spot where there were multiple pieces of clothing, put the clothing in the bin, drop the bin, then queue up another job to return the bin to the stockpile?

If so, that was never a bug per se.  It was just how dwarves hauled in those versions.

If that's what you're asking about, then you should be aware that yes, their hauling behavior has changed.  This change started somewhere in the mid 0.40 releases.  Dwarves can haul more than one thing at a time now.  I've seen a dwarf pick up two pieces of clothing from two different tiles and carry them both ("Hauled") at the same time, without having to pick up a bin or other container.

So... is that a "yes" to your question?  Probably.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2015, 03:33:18 pm »

About 12 hours into a fortress. No crashes so far. No thieves or snatchers, but my first siege of 10 about ~3 years into the fort.

This seems very playable, well done Toady.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2015, 04:09:48 pm »

Thanks a lot Toady!
Going to enjoy this release a lot it seems :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7