Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.03 Released  (Read 61967 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.03 Released
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2015, 06:23:47 pm »

... (*) Stopped dead/caged commanders from stopping invaders from moving (thanks to vjek for preparing a very useful and funny save) ...
Indeed, there is nothing that makes me laugh quite like watching those goblins jump to their death. :)

Thank you very much for this bug fix, Toady. Definitely made my day/week/month.  :D :D :D

Hahah what was in that save that warranted making it to the devlog? I am both fearful and excited.

In text:
Indeed, there is nothing that makes me laugh quite like watching those goblins jump to their death. :)

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

In links:
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2015, 06:47:02 am »

Yes, you can build polytheistic temples, choose the "No Specific Deity" option when you create the location. It will do less for dorf happiness, but it's less work than making multiple single-deity temples, I guess. I've always just gone the hard route though.
such detail is amazing, thanks!

One question, the major bug to the bins is fixed?

Which "bug" is that? 
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2706

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8755

basically, tasking to weave thread stored in bins cancels the job because dorfs can't find the thread

in order to avoid this, I have to create large stockpiles without bins and this applies for all jobs involving stuff stored in bins
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

Eldhelion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 08:14:16 am »

Guy, I Know that this may not be the appropriate spot, but I prefer some confirmation before posting on bug tracker.
I always play on the largest area possible, but I'am unable to embark, after prepare carefully, the game start loading the map then it crashes when reach , ~1.5 Gb of ram.

the error log have:
Code: [Select]
Connected Component Overflow

I got to embark on 7x7.

I know it is not a priority since there is other bugs to fix, but, can someone test it?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 08:50:21 am »

Guy, I Know that this may not be the appropriate spot, but I prefer some confirmation before posting on bug tracker.
I always play on the largest area possible, but I'am unable to embark, after prepare carefully, the game start loading the map then it crashes when reach , ~1.5 Gb of ram.

the error log have:
Code: [Select]

I got to embark on 7x7.

I know it is not a priority since there is other bugs to fix, but, can someone test it?
Sounds to me like your memory is running out. Something like #2715, "Crash during huge, lengthy world gen (out-of-memory)". Connected Component Overflow is noted in this comment as some pathing issue. Together I would think your game has not enough memeory to calculate detailed path map of such big embark area.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 09:24:41 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2706

I don't know if that one is still an issue.  It hasn't been an issue for me, but I haven't spent enough time with the military in 0.42 yet.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8755

This one says "Items in bins (coins, thread, mechanisms, ammo) are sometimes not found for tasks".  Which is sorta still true, but it's not just bins.  It's any container that two dwarves are both trying to use at the same time.  The bug is related to #5992: Conflict between hauling jobs (i.e. filling containers) and other jobs using items in those containers which is marked as resolved, but which still happens.  Occasionally.

basically, tasking to weave thread stored in bins cancels the job because dorfs can't find the thread

This still happens sometimes.  Just not anywhere near as often as it did from 0.40.01 to 0.40.19.  And with weaving in particular, it's really not a big deal, because weaving jobs automatically restart.

It's a bigger issue with "process plant to bag" or "brew drink from fruit" or similar jobs that have to be manually restarted.

in order to avoid this, I have to create large stockpiles without bins and this applies for all jobs involving stuff stored in bins

That seems like overkill to me, but maybe I just don't share your goals & requirements.

If you want 100% elimination of these cancellations, then I would suggest a minecart quantum stockpile configuration.  If you can live with 98% elimination after the first year, just make regular stockpiles with containers and get your industries up to the point where you have a large buffer of all the input items, such that even if one container is locked by a dwarf putting stuff in it, another container with the same commodity is nearly always available.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2015, 09:54:08 am »

Compactness of bins, reliability of no bins: use a feeder stockpile without bins.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2015, 10:08:13 am »

(*) Stopped cats from dying of alcohol poisoning after walking over damp tavern floors and cleaning themselves (reduced effect)

Lines like these are the main reason I read the change-log. Dwarf Fortress is truly art.
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2015, 12:05:30 pm »

Is it verified that a non-specific temple is worse than a bunch of specific temples?
Not officially, but like, wouldn't it make sense? Otherwise what's the point of making deity-specific temples ever?
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 12:33:33 pm »

Not officially, but like, wouldn't it make sense? Otherwise what's the point of making deity-specific temples ever?

Same as everything else in this game.  Fun.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 02:08:49 pm »

Is it verified that a non-specific temple is worse than a bunch of specific temples?
Gods won't be unhappy they have to share one temple with other gods and won't curse YOU into either vampire or werecreature. That's why.

Btw, I am using two general temples. So far no retribution...
(noted by jwoodward48df)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2015, 03:24:41 pm »

Compactness of bins, reliability of no bins: use a feeder stockpile without bins.

I am doing this and STILL having the issue....I have a stockpile with no bins taking cloth from anywhere feeding into a pile that gives to the clothes shop...constant cancellations.

I get tons of cancellations for dying stuff as well

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2015, 08:15:34 pm »

Do you, in fact, have enough cloth? This technique will not, contrary to popular belief, create woven cloth from dwarven beards.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2015, 08:21:14 pm »

Assume two cloth stockpiles, one with no bins allowed and taking from anywhere (feeder), and one with bins allowed taking only from the feeder.

When you have a small amount of cloth, it will sit in a single bin in the second stockpile.  Dwarves can take cloth from it.

Now assume you produce a new bit of cloth.  It will be hauled to the first stockpile, and dropped in one of the tiles.  Then a new job will be generated to move it from the first stockpile to the second stockpile.

At some point, that bin in the second stockpile will be "locked" by the hauling dwarf.  I'm not yet clear on exactly when the lock is acquired, and when it is released.  But even though a dwarf may pick up the cloth instead of picking up the bin, there will still be a nonzero length of time where dwarves are unable to remove cloth from the bin, due to the hauling job.

The solution?  Get more cloth.  Have so much cloth that even if the entire feeder stockpile is full of cloth, and an entire army of dwarves descends on the cloth stockpiles all at once with Intent To Haul, there'll still be some unlocked bins.

(The other solution, as I mentioned before, is a minecart quantum stockpile setup.  No bins.  The second stockpile is 1 tile.)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2015, 08:24:00 pm »

Ahh, true, but frankly I don't care about the occasional cancellation in the first few years, and after that, I have at least 10 full bins of cloth at any given cloth-producing time.

Solution! Make sure that there are less tiles in the feeder stockpile than bins in the storage stockpile!
Sigtext!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2015, 08:38:52 pm »

Honestly if you just buy all the cloth from the first traders, which you can use to train your clothiers, that works just as well.

it doesn't fix the bug though which is the main point

i'd love it if jobs didn't cancel but instead just paused and resumed when you run out of items
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7