Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.03 Released  (Read 62287 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.03 Released
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2015, 08:39:44 pm »

well I have well over 100 thread and over 100 cloth as well as over 70 dye. I finally just quantum stockpiled the cloth for now to avoid the annoying spams

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2015, 08:50:28 am »

Trying out the new version and really enjoying it! I'm still having issues with military equipment, though... After embarking I forged up a set of bronze armor and assigned my militia commander to a squad with a uniform that included "metal" greaves, mail shirts, breastplates, helms, gauntlets, high boots, shields and melee choice weapons. She put on the greaves, mail shirt, breastplate, and helm that I made, as well as equipping her axe and shield, but she ignored the high boots and gauntlets. I looked in her inventory, and she was already wearing some cloth socks, cloth shoes, cloth gloves, and cloth mittens, so I thought maybe some of that stuff was getting in the way and tried to forbid it in her inventory, but she didn't put any of it down and continued to not put on her boots and gauntlets. I disbanded the squad and recreated it with the same uniform, but nothing changed. Am I missing something about how military uniforms work now, or is this still not quite working properly?

Thanks for ideas, and thank you Toady for the wonderful work!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2015, 09:21:06 am »

Trying out the new version and really enjoying it! I'm still having issues with military equipment, though... After embarking I forged up a set of bronze armor and assigned my militia commander to a squad with a uniform that included "metal" greaves, mail shirts, breastplates, helms, gauntlets, high boots, shields and melee choice weapons. She put on the greaves, mail shirt, breastplate, and helm that I made, as well as equipping her axe and shield, but she ignored the high boots and gauntlets. I looked in her inventory, and she was already wearing some cloth socks, cloth shoes, cloth gloves, and cloth mittens, so I thought maybe some of that stuff was getting in the way and tried to forbid it in her inventory, but she didn't put any of it down and continued to not put on her boots and gauntlets. I disbanded the squad and recreated it with the same uniform, but nothing changed. Am I missing something about how military uniforms work now, or is this still not quite working properly?

There is a switch: overclothing (put given armor on your civilian clothing) vs. replace clothing (remove all civilian clothing before equiping armor).

If I have just few pieces of armor, I use overclothing. Once I get some more (and military dwarves train a bit so they can bear the added weight), I switch to replace clothing. Don't put full metal armor on untrained dwarves, they will be like snails. See "Armor user" at DF wiki for more.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

mgotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2015, 10:18:52 am »

There is a switch: overclothing (put given armor on your civilian clothing) vs. replace clothing (remove all civilian clothing before equiping armor).

If I have just few pieces of armor, I use overclothing. Once I get some more (and military dwarves train a bit so they can bear the added weight), I switch to replace clothing. Don't put full metal armor on untrained dwarves, they will be like snails. See "Armor user" at DF wiki for more.

FYI - I'm having the same behaviour in two forts so far.  Dwarves are now equipping everything except gauntlets and boots, and 'replace' doesn't seem to help.
I'm thinking about bug reporting it.

In other news:
My first 42.03 fort is up to 200 citizens, and the only thing breeding are the dogs (which started to get a bit ridiculous like cats used to).  No babies arriving via migration or being born in fort, and only one child on migration. Have played with some of the settings via the Lazy Newb Pack, with no result. Very odd.

Second world seems to work properly... There are abandoned babies crawling around being neglrcted by their mother.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2015, 12:13:52 pm »

Anyone else having issues engraving memorials? I've had a ghost haunting me for a couple of years now because not one of the eight stonecrafters I have will engrave the "DO THIS NOW" slab job. I even made extra slabs just in case, but no dice.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2015, 12:23:16 pm »

I engraved a few, which worked. Very odd though. The last engraved stone slab simply showed up as 'granite slab' in the list, requiring me to build all of them to figure out which it was.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2015, 12:36:56 pm »

I engraved a few, which worked. Very odd though. The last engraved stone slab simply showed up as 'granite slab' in the list, requiring me to build all of them to figure out which it was.

You forgot to press x to expand the list?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2015, 01:07:29 pm »

I didn't even know that was a thing. So yeah, probably. It just gave me the engraving the first time so I assumed it always would.

Eldhelion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2015, 02:46:17 pm »

Guy, I Know that this may not be the appropriate spot, but I prefer some confirmation before posting on bug tracker.
I always play on the largest area possible, but I'am unable to embark, after prepare carefully, the game start loading the map then it crashes when reach , ~1.5 Gb of ram.

the error log have:
Code: [Select]
Connected Component Overflow

I got to embark on 7x7.

I know it is not a priority since there is other bugs to fix, but, can someone test it?
Sounds to me like your memory is running out. Something like #2715, "Crash during huge, lengthy world gen (out-of-memory)". Connected Component Overflow is noted in this comment as some pathing issue. Together I would think your game has not enough memeory to calculate detailed path map of such big embark area.

Man, I have 16Gb of ram, I used to play in older versions just fine, that why I`m asking confirmation

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2015, 05:44:24 pm »

Guy, I Know that this may not be the appropriate spot, but I prefer some confirmation before posting on bug tracker.
I always play on the largest area possible, but I'am unable to embark, after prepare carefully, the game start loading the map then it crashes when reach , ~1.5 Gb of ram.

the error log have:
Code: [Select]

I got to embark on 7x7.

I know it is not a priority since there is other bugs to fix, but, can someone test it?
Sounds to me like your memory is running out. Something like #2715, "Crash during huge, lengthy world gen (out-of-memory)". Connected Component Overflow is noted in this comment as some pathing issue. Together I would think your game has not enough memeory to calculate detailed path map of such big embark area.

Man, I have 16Gb of ram, I used to play in older versions just fine, that why I`m asking confirmation
Since DF is a 32-bit program, it can't actually leverage the generous amount of ram you have. This is part of why Toady is going to give a 64-bit version an attempt soon.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

NolanSyKinsley

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2015, 06:17:09 pm »

Anyone else having issues engraving memorials? I've had a ghost haunting me for a couple of years now because not one of the eight stonecrafters I have will engrave the "DO THIS NOW" slab job. I even made extra slabs just in case, but no dice.

Are the engravers able to do anything else? if not check if they are polytheistic (pray to two gods) if so then there is currently a bug ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9324) that renders polytheistic dwarves pretty much useless after a while as they cannot pray/contemplate properly to either god.

I currently have a large portion of my population stuck in the temple trying to pray so hard they are letting their pets starve right beside them, and if I don't have the temple they all become extremely distracted.

Also check the workshop profile, make sure it is not limited to one person or skill level.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2015, 07:47:21 pm »

Just a question: When I serve outsiders in my tavern, will they pay me with coins or stone blocks or other stuff like that? I haven't been able to play DF recently because of work, and I'd like to know.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2015, 02:46:35 am »

Are the engravers able to do anything else? if not check if they are polytheistic (pray to two gods) if so then there is currently a bug ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9324) that renders polytheistic dwarves pretty much useless after a while as they cannot pray/contemplate properly to either god.

I currently have a large portion of my population stuck in the temple trying to pray so hard they are letting their pets starve right beside them, and if I don't have the temple they all become extremely distracted.

Also check the workshop profile, make sure it is not limited to one person or skill level.
It certainly wasn't a workshop limitation. It quite possibly could've been that bug, it seems strange enough to be the culprit. Eventually that slab did get made but only until a few more stonecrafters arrived.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2015, 05:32:31 am »

If you want 100% elimination of these cancellations, then I would suggest a minecart quantum stockpile configuration.  If you can live with 98% elimination after the first year, just make regular stockpiles with containers and get your industries up to the point where you have a large buffer of all the input items, such that even if one container is locked by a dwarf putting stuff in it, another container with the same commodity is nearly always available.
hhm I don't know... Maybe I'll just wait for the bug to be fixed, I have a short beard at the moment :P

Honestly if you just buy all the cloth from the first traders, which you can use to train your clothiers, that works just as well.

it doesn't fix the bug though which is the main point

i'd love it if jobs didn't cancel but instead just paused and resumed when you run out of items
with the manager, maybe it's possible to order like 30 production of shirts, or cloth weaving, having some job cancellation spams (with bins) and still having the work eventually done

The thing is, this bug doesn't block all the labors involving stuff in bins, some jobs will be done eventually

I don't understand what causes the job cancelled, because there is no hauling job existant when the weaver or clothier go look for materials in bins and he doesn't find them
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2015, 04:41:57 pm »

There seems to be a bug where, if you retire a site while it has guests, then upon returning they are marked as "hostile" and just hang around, never leaving or socializing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7