Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.5%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 210 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 173 (26.9%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 640

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85]

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 715320 times)

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #1260 on: June 30, 2023, 08:16:27 am »

Doesn't stonesense already do that? I'm pretty sure it updates live if you unpause the game.

Yeah, I hadn't used stonesense in a few years. It's pretty impressive now.

You'll need dfhack installed. Pull up the script window and just type stonesense. Hit enter. :)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: June 30, 2023, 03:09:10 pm »

I haven’t used Stonesense in years.  The last time I tried it (a year ago on a prebuilt build), it just exited with an error message.  Years before that, when I first tried compiling DFHack, it wouldn’t compile because it couldn’t find agui.  Eventually, I found some instructions (from Japa, I think) showing how to get agui compiled on the system so that you could then compile Stonesense.  Unfortunately, at some point in time, those instructions stopped working and I could no longer compile Stonesense.  Now, I’m on a system that won’t run pre-SDL2 software, so I’m waiting for the Linux port of DF to be released (and for DFHack and DT to be updated for it…).
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: June 30, 2023, 11:27:10 pm »

I haven’t used Stonesense in years.  The last time I tried it (a year ago on a prebuilt build), it just exited with an error message.  Years before that, when I first tried compiling DFHack, it wouldn’t compile because it couldn’t find agui.  Eventually, I found some instructions (from Japa, I think) showing how to get agui compiled on the system so that you could then compile Stonesense.  Unfortunately, at some point in time, those instructions stopped working and I could no longer compile Stonesense.  Now, I’m on a system that won’t run pre-SDL2 software, so I’m waiting for the Linux port of DF to be released (and for DFHack and DT to be updated for it…).

Yeah, all I remember is that it didn't work very well on my machine. Now, it's a breeze.

Don't let SDL2 hold you back. If you are okay with Steam, add the game to your library. If you right-click on the game in your library and select the compatibility tab, choose proton 7. It will run just fine on any distro you have. Otherwise, if SDL is an issue, you can always run the free Windows version using Wine. There's a DLL you might need to download to get it to work though, msvcp140_atomic_wait. Just throw that dll into your main directory and you're airborne.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 11:30:45 pm by Clatch »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 01, 2023, 11:31:37 pm »

There's a DLL you might need to download to get it to work though, msvcp140_atomic_wait. Just throw that dll into your main directory and you're airborne.
This alone typically isn't enough on Wine 8, and for Wine 7 it typically isn't necessary. For Wine 8, these instructions might work, but I haven't tested them out yet.

I'm using wine 8.11.

It's pretty straightforward for Wine directly.  You get a copy of msvcp140_atomic_wait.dll (from various places on the internet).  You put it in the Dwarf fortress folder.  Then you run winecfg.  Go to the "libraries" tab. In the "New override for library" drop down you select msvcp140_atomic_wait.dll and then hit the "Add" button.   Finally "Apply" or "OK".  After that wine DF will work with wine.

For doing it with Proton, it's a bit more complex because you have to run winecfg specifying the the directory that Proton is installed in.  Also, the default prefix seems to have problems for me, so you have to find the DF prefix (which is in the Steam folder somewhere) and update that.  After that, it's the exact same procedure as per normal wine.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85]