Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31

Author Topic: Legends Viewer (Maintained Branch) 1.20.08 | DF 0.47.XX  (Read 222458 times)

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer (Maintained Branch) 1.20.08 | DF 0.47.XX
« Reply #435 on: April 18, 2022, 02:43:34 pm »

That's due to the fact that there is a WebBrowser control embedded that sadly uses an IE under the hood and I do have very limited control over how the internal browser behaves.
The whole project is nearly 10 years old and I took over 2015. If I would start from scratch, Legends Viewer would be totally different, at least from a technology standpoint.  ;)

You are aware that this is v. probably also a symptom of IE being generally booted into the Great Redmond Recycle Bin, right?

Haha, yeah I know that. But sadly Microsoft still uses IE in the WPF/Forms WebBrowser control in .NET Framework. I can not easily switch to .NET Core because of various dependencies that only work in .NET Framework and would be a lot of work to replace.

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 08, 2022, 11:42:04 am »

I have found a bug, but I am unsure which utility the bug is in. It may be in the exportlegends script or in legends viewer (or in legends browser if I am not parsing the legends XML correctly when I do it manually).

In this world I am looking at, an alliance formation event happened in the year 243. In legends.xml it is encoded with this tag:
Code: [Select]
<historical_event>
<id>409560</id>
<year>243</year>
<seconds72>8400</seconds72>
<type>entity alliance formed</type>
<initiating_enid>91</initiating_enid>
<joining_enid>67</joining_enid>
<joining_enid>85</joining_enid>
</historical_event>

In two applications display it like so:

At core, the bug is that Legends Viewer is only showing one of the supporters, but since I cannot find this event in legends_plus.xml I cannot know whether that is due to the export by the script or due to how legendsviewer is using the data.

A secondary bug is that the only civ which has this type of event in it's log in Legends Viewer is the initiating entity.

ribchinski

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 15, 2022, 07:50:44 am »

This is probably the umpteenth question regarding Linux and MacOS, but I've got to ask. So, I tried running Legends Viewer in wine, but many parts of the program end up broken that way (showing blank tabs and not letting me see some statistics, etc.). I was thinking - I know coding, so why not try to make a Legends Viewer clone or port?

However, I imagine that a project like this is relatively big. I don't know quite where to start. Is there any documentation on how the legends xml files work and do you have any tips on where to start?

OneDoesNotSimplyWork

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 21, 2022, 09:23:40 pm »

My legend viewer shows this error whenever i try to open my world, does anyone know how to fix it ? thanks in advance!

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at LegendsViewer.Legends.EventCollections.Battle..ctor(List`1 properties, World world) at LegendsViewer.Legends.Parser.XmlParser.AddEventCollection(String type, List`1 properties) at LegendsViewer.Legends.Parser.XmlParser.ParseSection() at LegendsViewer.Legends.Parser.XmlParser.Parse() at LegendsViewer.Legends.World..ctor(BackgroundWorker worker, String xmlFile, String historyFile, String sitesAndPopulationsFile, String mapFile, String xmlPlusFile) at LegendsViewer.FileLoader.BackgroundWorkerOnDoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 22, 2022, 01:42:20 am »

If you zip up the exported Legends files and make them available it might be possible to determine the cause and possibly fix it.

It looks like the exported Legends info has some battle reference that isn't referencing something in a way Legends Viewer doesn't expect.

OneDoesNotSimplyWork

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 22, 2022, 09:46:12 pm »

If you zip up the exported Legends files and make them available it might be possible to determine the cause and possibly fix it.
Thanks for the advice

Here is the zipped file of my export https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16042
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 12:04:24 am by OneDoesNotSimplyWork »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 17, 2022, 02:38:03 pm »

In the museum game we have run into issue. The player character Moldath Mournsaints the Ardents profile now results in a crash. Might be related to secrets learned.

Legends files - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16082
The Save - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16073

Spoiler: Exception Text (click to show/hide)

The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 28, 2022, 07:38:21 am »

@Kromtec

....so yeah, DFFD database went 'smash' recently, ergo, semi-urgent problem, at least as I understand it. (https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 28, 2022, 05:24:50 pm »

@Kromtec

....so yeah, DFFD database went 'smash' recently, ergo, semi-urgent problem, at least as I understand it. (https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455)
What is urgent about this? The file still exists. It doesn't have metadata, yeah, but it can still be downloaded.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 10, 2022, 08:32:30 pm »

This may not be the place for this, but... is there an intention to release Legends Viewer as a mod for the Steam DF as well?  I would dearly love it if so  :)

Thanks for all you do!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 10, 2022, 11:55:09 pm »

This may not be the place for this, but... is there an intention to release Legends Viewer as a mod for the Steam DF as well?  I would dearly love it if so  :)

Thanks for all you do!
Right now the export legends data function is missing in 50.0x.
I expect DfHack would be able to export usually, so it would have to wait until DfHack is ready (or Toady gives us the export data functions back).

TrippleFlipple

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 21, 2022, 09:28:58 pm »

I'm loving the steam update in fortress mode. So much fun. But I feel like the world generating experience has become more cumbersome and less intuitive. You can't quickly abort and begin a new generation. You have to crawl back to the settings you were using. Also there is no way to zoom or explore the map with exports. I do hope The exports come back soon. Legends Viewer gives the world so much more depth with the graphs, charts, and family trees. I miss it so much. Thank you for your work!

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 28, 2023, 07:04:44 am »

Same here. I love the fortress game mode now, but I miss the family trees, the maps view and the way Legends Viewer presents the information of the whole world. I used it every time to check my kings' family history, check for interesting monsters I wanted to fight or personal dramas I wanted to draw.

I hope it becomes possible to use the viewer again, at some point (or similar). Thanks for all the work and the joy you gave me with it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 28, 2023, 08:38:10 pm »

Same here. I love the fortress game mode now, but I miss the family trees, the maps view and the way Legends Viewer presents the information of the whole world. I used it every time to check my kings' family history, check for interesting monsters I wanted to fight or personal dramas I wanted to draw.

I hope it becomes possible to use the viewer again, at some point (or similar). Thanks for all the work and the joy you gave me with it.
Legends export was mentioned in Toady's last interview. The functionality is all there, just needs a button, and a display saying "please wait" (because freezing your computer for 10 minutes in the age of Steam isn't good apparently).

Five minute job, but he has a lot of five minute jobs to do...

Anyhow, when that's back (should be soon) we'll hopefully see Legends Viewer updated (although generally, despite errors, newer version's output XML tends to work OK in older versions anyhow, so might just be able to start using it right away).

xzaxza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 24, 2023, 01:25:36 am »

This is probably the umpteenth question regarding Linux and MacOS, but I've got to ask. So, I tried running Legends Viewer in wine, but many parts of the program end up broken that way (showing blank tabs and not letting me see some statistics, etc.). I was thinking - I know coding, so why not try to make a Legends Viewer clone or port?

However, I imagine that a project like this is relatively big. I don't know quite where to start. Is there any documentation on how the legends xml files work and do you have any tips on where to start?
I'm not the dev, but you know the source is out there on Github: https://github.com/Kromtec/LegendsViewer

Also, since it's apparently C#, it might be easy-ish to rewrite it to use Mono, which should provide compatibility.

However, there's also LegendsBrowser 2, which is already cross-platform: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=179848.0
Known issues
You may get a dwarf that likes bugged stockpiles.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31