Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31

Author Topic: Legends Viewer (Maintained Branch) 1.20.08 | DF 0.47.XX  (Read 222425 times)

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer (Maintained Branch) 1.19.09 | DF 0.44.XX
« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2019, 12:33:33 pm »

Legends Viewer isn't detecting several modded-in human civs and I can't figure out why. Their settlements appear on the map but their governments aren't listed on the summary page and they're white or grey in civ events.

EDIT: The modded civs might be transposed or superposed due to a mistake I made, but I don't know how. They all have unique entity IDs.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:57:59 pm by Flying Teasets »
Not here at the moment

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 04, 2019, 07:45:50 am »

Legends Viewer seems to be having some trouble reading my modded world correctly. It usually does OK, this is the first time I've seen this happen.
It's a large world so I can post a save or Legends file but they'll be pretty big.

Basically the world has two groups, both named "The Froths of Severity". One is a Minotaur civilization, the other is a minotaur bandit gang.
The civilization isn't showing in the list of Minotaur civs in my world on the summary screen. I guess it's because of the name duplicate, but can something be done about it?
That's the main screen I use for a quick look at the world before playing.

Searching brings up both groups. Although the non-Dfhack version describes both as "The Frosts of Severity are a group." Handy...
DFHack version has the correct descriptions but still doesn't list the civilization in the civilization list.

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2019, 12:35:42 am »

Legends Viewer isn't detecting several modded-in human civs and I can't figure out why. Their settlements appear on the map but their governments aren't listed on the summary page and they're white or grey in civ events.

EDIT: The modded civs might be transposed or superposed due to a mistake I made, but I don't know how. They all have unique entity IDs.

Look in the xxx-world_sites_and_pops.txt file if they are listed under "Civilized World Population". If they are, then it is a problem mapping their race name from the XML (singular) to one of the civilized races in this file (plural).
Or is their race "Human/Humans", in this case it should definitely work.

Legends Viewer seems to be having some trouble reading my modded world correctly. It usually does OK, this is the first time I've seen this happen.
It's a large world so I can post a save or Legends file but they'll be pretty big.

Basically the world has two groups, both named "The Froths of Severity". One is a Minotaur civilization, the other is a minotaur bandit gang.
The civilization isn't showing in the list of Minotaur civs in my world on the summary screen. I guess it's because of the name duplicate, but can something be done about it?

Searching brings up both groups. Although the non-Dfhack version describes both as "The Frosts of Severity are a group." Handy...
DFHack version has the correct descriptions but still doesn't list the civilization in the civilization list.

Could be a similar problem to Flying Teasets' issue. I always have a hard time combining the infos from the xxx-world_sites_and_pops.txt file to the infos of the XML files.
The xxx-world_sites_and_pops.txt file has no IDs for the entities and in larger worlds, duplicated names are very common.

Maybe I can improve the way it is handled in your cases if you post the zipped legend files.
I am sorry that I have long response times at the moment but I am currently moving. It is a little bit hectic until May, I read the forums but I rarely have time to look into details.  :D

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:02:38 am by Kromtec »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2019, 08:18:25 am »

Look in the xxx-world_sites_and_pops.txt file if they are listed under "Civilized World Population". If they are, then it is a problem mapping their race name from the XML (singular) to one of the civilized races in this file (plural).
Or is their race "Human/Humans", in this case it should definitely work.

Could be a similar problem to Flying Teasets' issue. I always have a hard time combining the infos from the xxx-world_sites_and_pops.txt file to the infos of the XML files.
The xxx-world_sites_and_pops.txt file has no IDs for the entities and in larger worlds, duplicated names are very common.

Maybe I can improve the way it is handled in your cases if you post the zipped legend files.
I am sorry that I have long response times at the moment but I am currently moving. It is a little bit hectic until May, I read the forums but I rarely have time to look into details.  :D
No problem. I know you said you won't be updating until after Villains release.
Here's a zip of the Legends files. It's pretty huge, sorry. 365 year old large region. 52 civilizations (well, 53 and perhaps others if I've missed any which didn't show in the list), 19 civ types (15 surviving).   
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14332

Please use for any other analysis you feel like to make Legends Viewer even better!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:26:05 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 16, 2019, 04:05:28 am »

Here's a zip of the Legends files. It's pretty huge, sorry. 365 year old large region. 52 civilizations (well, 53 and perhaps others if I've missed any which didn't show in the list), 19 civ types (15 surviving).   

Please use for any other analysis you feel like to make Legends Viewer even better!

Thanks, every time I changed the code it took ~10 min to load in debug mode, because as you said, your world is REALLY huge.  :D
But in the end I found a solution where every civilisation is listed correctly on the summary page as long as you have the additional legends_plus.xml from the dfhack export.
With the vanilla infos it might detect some more connections but I think it will be more or less the same as before.

I hope Toady will add more of the missing information to the vanilla export files with the villain update! There is a lot that can only be displayed, if DFHacks' exportlegends script was used for the export.
With the upcoming steam release the vanilla export might increase in importance...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 17, 2019, 08:03:46 am »

Thanks, every time I changed the code it took ~10 min to load in debug mode, because as you said, your world is REALLY huge.  :D
But in the end I found a solution where every civilisation is listed correctly on the summary page as long as you have the additional legends_plus.xml from the dfhack export.
With the vanilla infos it might detect some more connections but I think it will be more or less the same as before.

I hope Toady will add more of the missing information to the vanilla export files with the villain update! There is a lot that can only be displayed, if DFHacks' exportlegends script was used for the export.
With the upcoming steam release the vanilla export might increase in importance...
That's good. Yes, hopefully we'll keep getting a little more out of vanilla exports with each release. Would be good to know if Toady thinks of Legends exports as a priority for the Steam "User Friendliness" update.
Ha, yeah, that world was a little too massive. Good for noticing rare bugs and spelling mistakes but I'd normally cram everyone into a medium region at about half that history. It's crowded, but there's always interesting stories to be found.

btonasse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 02, 2019, 04:46:47 pm »

Hey guys. I had this problem a while ago and gave up on Legends Viewer, and now I've decided to try it again, but the problem persists. I never see any events in the event logs. I always follow the exact instructions given by the software (exportlegends info via dfhack.. even tried exportlegends all even though I knew it wasn't necessary), and I always make sure all exported files are in the same folder and loaded correctly, including the PLUS file. It is also not a problem of undiscovered legends, since I can see all events in the game's native legends mode. What am I missing here?

thanks for the hard work!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 02, 2019, 05:20:04 pm »

Hey guys. I had this problem a while ago and gave up on Legends Viewer, and now I've decided to try it again, but the problem persists. I never see any events in the event logs. I always follow the exact instructions given by the software (exportlegends info via dfhack.. even tried exportlegends all even though I knew it wasn't necessary), and I always make sure all exported files are in the same folder and loaded correctly, including the PLUS file. It is also not a problem of undiscovered legends, since I can see all events in the game's native legends mode. What am I missing here?

The most important thing missing is what "this problem" is...

btonasse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2019, 05:34:01 pm »

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. The problem is: "I never see any events in the event logs." That is, the event logs are always empty, even though I can see these events in the in-game Legends Mode.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 02, 2019, 06:26:27 pm »

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. The problem is: "I never see any events in the event logs." That is, the event logs are always empty, even though I can see these events in the in-game Legends Mode.
Can you post a screenshot?
Hard to figure out what you mean by empty "event logs". Are you even seeing the site/historical figure lists at all?

btonasse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 02, 2019, 06:41:46 pm »

Can you post a screenshot?
Hard to figure out what you mean by empty "event logs". Are you even seeing the site/historical figure lists at all?

I sure can. Here it is: https://imgur.com/a/NkD3pJh

This is from a world generated with 1050 years of history, and no site/historical figure/whatever has a single entry in the Event Log. I always had this problem with Legends Viewer. Before I used to just view my legends on Legends Browser, but this particular world is too big for the Legends Browser to handle. Another related problem is that all family trees are empty, even for characters with many children.

Other than that, everything works as it should. All entities as listed, I just cannot see the text for any events on the Event Log (bottom of the screen).

EDIT: providing more information
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 06:55:03 pm by btonasse »

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2019, 12:00:10 am »

This is from a world generated with 1050 years of history, and no site/historical figure/whatever has a single entry in the Event Log. I always had this problem with Legends Viewer. Before I used to just view my legends on Legends Browser, but this particular world is too big for the Legends Browser to handle. Another related problem is that all family trees are empty, even for characters with many children.

Other than that, everything works as it should. All entities as listed, I just cannot see the text for any events on the Event Log (bottom of the screen).

The Windows Forms WebBrowser control uses Internet Explorer internally. When you upgrade to the newest IE version, you should see all the charts and logs. What operating system do you use?

btonasse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 03, 2019, 01:02:26 am »

The Windows Forms WebBrowser control uses Internet Explorer internally. When you upgrade to the newest IE version, you should see all the charts and logs. What operating system do you use?

Ha! That's it. Since I never use IE (who still does, by the way?), I didn't realize mine had been uninstalled a long time ago. It's a pity that we need to install some useless piece of software (sorry, Microsoft) to be able to use this...

Anyway, thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 03, 2019, 01:53:12 am »

Ha! That's it. Since I never use IE (who still does, by the way?), I didn't realize mine had been uninstalled a long time ago. It's a pity that we need to install some useless piece of software (sorry, Microsoft) to be able to use this...

Using Chrome (windows 10). Works perfectly. Always has.

--Edit
Oh. It's using IE anyhow? Hmm. Bit of an issue there.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 01:55:06 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2019, 02:07:53 am »

Using Chrome (windows 10). Works perfectly. Always has.

--Edit
Oh. It's using IE anyhow? Hmm. Bit of an issue there.

Yeah, sadly it uses IE, regardless of what is your default browser. This cannot be changed, Windows Forms WebBrowser control is restricted to IE. There are thirdparty controls like CEFSharp that use a version of Chrome, but using these would mean that instead of being ~2.5MB, LegendsViewer would have to bundle all the necessary Chromium Embedded Framework files and would get as big as ~80MB if I remember correctly.  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31