Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Making and running good forum games. How to?  (Read 28106 times)

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making and running good forum games. How to?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 09:00:06 am »

Thanks, that actually helps. I think. simplified huh?

Ok, so quasi 1986 graphics era mapping question though, well sorta: is there a way to make sure text symbols stay evenly spaced and close together? Or at least don't get moved/distorted by autoformat and space saving?

Example: Spaceship interior sections

Map Key:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Map of Ship (Not to Scale):

Example: Terrain

See how those move around and aren't exactly clear? Keeping in mind that habitable ship section is just a big rectangle. You throw in some angles or curves or even differently spaced walls and things get messy as all heck. Solution?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 10:07:57 am »

Table tag:

[][]O
[]X[]
X[]O

It's the grid button on the toolbar. Copy td tags for more items per row, tr blocks for more rows. Downside is that it makes it a pain in the ass to sift through to find what's doing what, especially if you're using tags around the actual components. You don't have to upload it, but I'm not convinced it's any easier than an image editor past fairly small, simple images.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 10:48:32 am »

I've run what I thought would be good forum games here, but for some reason they all seem to fold up and die (though the last one was my health as a problem):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149463.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149879.msg6141289#msg6141289
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151766.0

I tried to make fun games, but they just seem to putter out on this board for some reason. How could these be improved?

I was particularly proud of the detail put into the zombie survival game's text area layouts, but I'm not sure they took. I thought the greater degree of customization, and detailed battle scenes in Bronze Age Peasant would play well, but.... Finally, the Dwarf Game was incredibly forum appropriate and had an incredible amount of flexibility and pretty detailed maps, but that had a hard time taking off even before my health dropped.

I made detailed names (with family lines), detailed locations (sometimes with pictures on grids), made things pretty open ended for a text game (always leaving open other options in suggestion games), let people craft things, etc. I even made detailed multi layered, multi area maps.

Question, what gives?

Am I not getting something? I mean, I thought people wanted a large degree of customization, and ability to set up their own situation with a detailed world. I thought I was giving them that, but for some reason, the games never seem to take off. I even invited people by PM but somehow, nothing.

Can I make some kind of game, maybe a suggestion one, on this forum that will take off and be fun for everyone? I want to try again, but ... if it just doesn't take off, then what?

1. Make the system simple or people will be scared off and you'll hate yourself later.

2. Leave room for lots of player freedom, which mechanics that empower them to change the situation and maybe even the game.

3. Don't hit them with walls of text or huge back stories. I know you spent a lot  of time thinking this crap up, but people balk at a novel's worth of set up.  Instead, give them just enough to know what the hell is going on with them right now and to give them an idea of what their goals are.  Then let their investigations uncover the universe.

4. Focus on the characters; namely the PC's. You want it to feel like they're seeing this complete world of yours from their own perspective. They  are small critters in a big world, and you want to focus on the interplay and how they can and do change things, as well as how they can't and don't.

5. Remember, don't be afraid to ask your players to help you do shit.

6. In the end, this is something done for the enjoyment of you and your players. If something is dragging on and you or they aren't having fun, just change it.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 01:14:52 pm »

Glad to see more good advice. Thanks.

Was trying to avoid the whole overdone simplified stuff, because I've heard too many people complain about it. That said maybe that was just idle complaints. I still want  more customization that "you place a lumber mill and that gives you X." There's just more to it than that in real life but maybe I should start smaller and work my way up.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 02:41:53 pm »

Table tag:

[][]O
[]X[]
X[]O

It's the grid button on the toolbar. Copy td tags for more items per row, tr blocks for more rows. Downside is that it makes it a pain in the ass to sift through to find what's doing what, especially if you're using tags around the actual components. You don't have to upload it, but I'm not convinced it's any easier than an image editor past fairly small, simple images.

Not certain, but can't you just use [tt][/tt] truetype for monospace, which does the same thing? Might be misunderstanding the issue, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 07:01:51 pm »

Hi again.

You seem upset your hard work hasn't paid off. Understandable. Frustrating. Difficult. Confusing. Regrettable. Your seeking help is wonderful.
If you'd like and if you think it may help, there are seven (7) points below intended as helpful hints. I hope they do help you.

1st, your games aren't bad. I've played some and happily helped out a bit.
2nd, (K.I.S.S.) "Keep It Simple Stupid." People should read. They don't. That's sad. Cope.
3rd, Homebrew can work (not always). Mine have, but you must boil it down. People have 15 second attention spans. It's sad, but true.
4th, FOCUS. You are writing scenes with SOME flexibility in them, but not total.
5th, Generally, what scenes are possible? Exploring/Scouting? sneaking? Combat? Tech/Mechanical? Crafting? Diplomacy? Where? When?
6th, Mechanically, how is the general scene done/decided? Dice rolls? When/determining what? What choices are available and to who?
7th, Specifically, what do you show in a given circumstance, picture, text, more choices, consequences, rewards? What?

You are writing a play and allowing for improv influenced by certain factors like player/NPC/area stats. (strong characters act strong;  fast ones ... etc).

Have an answer for what combat choices and consequences look like. Have an answer for what crafting looks like. Same with sneaking, and diplomacy, etc.

Finally, have an answer for what good, just ok, and bad, combat looks like for circumstances (win, lose, or draw). Know what could make it better and what could make it worse. Communicate this beforehand in short, sweet, easy to read parts.

I do heavy experimenting on complex homebrew. I eventually boil it down to avoid player head explosion. Few people want this for farming, even though it's cool. That's sad. Here's how I deal with it. A.) Come up with the awesome, complex system. B.) Create a simplified system while keeping an advanced version for advanced players. Even in the simplified version, farming benefits from engineered infrastructure, fertilizer, pest control, etc is yawn material, until you turn it into a player motivation and make it give them simplified stat bonuses, more food to sell and more money. Suddenly, rescuing that farm tool maker might matter and give the players real, understandable money instead of Link breaking pots/money appearing out of monster's butts. That's longer term though.

Short term, what happens when player meets monster or problem? What can they do and what does it look like when they do it? Use short but expressive sentences, referencing easy to understand meaning. You can do callbacks to some fairly intricate story stuff (maybe even embed a hyperlink to it and other reference materials). Who, what, when, where, why, how, are questions that need answered in simplified form.

Bottom line, you need a menu to order off with an a la carte section. Here's the menu, here's the people you're feeding; here's what looks delicious/why you're hungry; here's your budget. The kitchen can make X, Y, and Z happen in time. The blowfish is poisonous; I wouldn't eat it if I were you. Have a really cool atmosphere/theme for the restaurant. Have at it.

You've not done bad. You can do great.

I do hope that helps. If anyone would like me to elaborate, then that's doable, if you'd like.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 08:19:55 pm »

Welp, thank you all again.

Uh, yeah, if you could explain that'd be nice, please. I kinda think I get it, but it's kinda hard.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 07:58:38 am »

Keeping in mind this is a simplified version of things made somewhat systematic/vastly scaled down.

Backstory:

Plot:

Actions and Consequences:

If you want to do support infrastructure, then have that on it's own little card if it matters.

Goods and services locations like shops and craftspersons need a menu of services for players to choose from.

Locations need reasons to exist.

As you can see it's somewhat complicated and is best demonstrated (in my opinion) by practical doing.

Perhaps someone else can give examples of a hook and the different types of hooks, even the legendary multi hook? :) I do hope that helps.

NOTE: Most of this will be in your notes and not shown to players. What it does is make it easier and more streamlined to show what is going to be shown....
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:54:10 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 03:33:51 pm »

Thank you, that's actually helpful. If anyone has any other tips that'd be nice please.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 05:02:31 pm »

<snip>
I thought a forum full of Dwarf Fortress players might wanna build a Dwarven Fortress and be dwarves building whatever they want if they can figure out a way to build it.
<snip>

A blatant misconception. Forum game players are lazy. We like complexity in DF because it is a computer game that can handle all that complexity fast (until FPS hits singe digits) and we know what to expect. Forum games on the other hand are glacially SLOW by default. The thing that takes in DF few minutes will take weeks in a forum game. And by that time it hard to remember what I was doing in first place.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 05:22:18 pm »

Don't make complicated text maps. They're a pain, both for player and GM, and you're honestly better off with just a basic description and implying what's there. (This is an old, yet well-maintained freighter. It is unarmed, has 50 Standard Units of space, and cramped crew quarters for four.)

If you really want roguelike-ish maps, there are programs for that. Ex: ASCIIdraw, which I found to be a bit cumbersome to use.

Hexographer is useful for a general strategic level map. Beware, it tends to create larger maps: If players have to scroll horizontally to see the whole map, most won't even bother.

I've recently been made aware of MapTool, which is more for real time D&D games, but could work if you want to easily track exactly where players are in a room, building, or ship. You'll need the map images from somewhere else, but it might be worth playing around with. (I think you'd need to hit the printscreen keyboard button, then paste that into a paint program of choice to crop it down to just the map).

If you're feeling graphically creative, even quick MSPaint mouse-tier graphics are appreciated. Don't try to over-complicate things if you're unskilled, a basic room layout is fine.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 08:54:14 pm »

Fairly true. Then of course things do move slowly in forums. There are some ways around this but they can be confusing: such as running multiple parts of a game at once. Example A.) Main line, B.) Separate Group of NPCs controlled by players, C.) Perhaps combat.

Even then, there's a certain slowness that can't entirely be avoided. Another way to look at it is the persistent play portion option. Basically, you play as normal, but also go off an "off screen" script portion. That's what the character would do usually in their spare time, or as a sort of routine profession, task, or other matter.

Please don't quote me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 10:44:46 pm »

<snip>
I thought a forum full of Dwarf Fortress players might wanna build a Dwarven Fortress and be dwarves building whatever they want if they can figure out a way to build it.
<snip>

A blatant misconception. Forum game players are lazy. We like complexity in DF because it is a computer game that can handle all that complexity fast (until FPS hits singe digits) and we know what to expect. Forum games on the other hand are glacially SLOW by default. The thing that takes in DF few minutes will take weeks in a forum game. And by that time it hard to remember what I was doing in first place.

This is another reason to keep your updates relatively short and to the point: if it's been a few days/weeks/whatever, people are much more likely to go back and reread the last update if it takes thirty seconds to skim rather than five minutes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2015, 08:52:59 am »

Reserve a summary page post or two at the beginning or as another thread. Link to it at the beginning of every post update.

Keep the summary short and sweet and if you want more detail, then provide a longer version with a different link. Perhaps embed hyperlinks to the actual posting updates in the short summary of each round.

The purpose is to centralize information in condensed form so people can keep track of what might be weeks, months, or sometimes years of information easily. Keeps it all together for more informed decisions. Also, you might consider linking fluff descriptions embedded into their word usage for location info, groups, nations, etc.

If you click on [whatever text] and it leads you to an explanation, then you're not confused. If you already know, then don't click and keep on easily reading.  Embedding hyperlinks may sometimes also be used to show exactly how a result was reached (i.e. the modifiers and die rolls) but that's time consuming and slows the game down somewhat. Basically learn something from and take the abridged wiki approach.

Please don't quote me.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2015, 08:11:42 pm »

Well, with economics, I wanted something a little bit about production if that's doable. I don't want it entirely fixed, because skill or something should matter in how much is produced, at least a little. Truean's system is really impressive but if we're talking about being simple then I don't know how that'd work.

Needs to be simple but not too simple that it doesn't mean anything.

Same deal with the rest of it really.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17