Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Making and running good forum games. How to?  (Read 28137 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making and running good forum games. How to?
« Reply #195 on: July 15, 2016, 04:31:56 pm »

I hear ya on how time flies.  Back in my days, I was dreaming of creating an AI Dungeon Master.  I was designing linked databases before the simplicity of installing free SQL server express in the local machine. 

My take on most games was learning the mechanic, and thinking on how to code it in the computer.  Not really a passion to earn a living from it, but rather a hobby and enjoying the learning experience from it.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 15, 2016, 08:41:06 pm »

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 18, 2016, 10:13:47 pm »

huh....
ok

Well, since you're good at making games, can we try a simple one? Where would anyone suggest we start?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 18, 2016, 11:00:23 pm »

Depends, but usually good to outline some goals and options. Start with the end in mind, then do some practice runs / develop the game world....
You'd have to peg down a couple of things to have some way to work stuff out. What are people asking for?

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 19, 2016, 07:51:04 am »

What do you mean? Goals and options? Peg down a couple of things?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2016, 12:30:37 pm »

Basically you have to have something to work with. I mean narrow it down, at least a little:

What kind of game, in terms of:

Setting: Fantasy, Sci Fi, Horror (a la your zombie game?)
Tech Level: Survival, Bronze Age, Medieval, modern, futuristic, etc?
Magic Level: None, restricted, moderate, or high?
Focus Level: Individual, team/vessel, city, country, society, world?
Main Player Focus: Combat, building, strategy, economics, puzzles?

From there you'd flesh it out more, but you have to have something to work with. The rest of the steps would change drastically if you were building a ... Fantasy, Medieval, restricted magic, individual focus, combat game, instead of a (I dunno) Sci Fi, Futuristic, no magic, Team/vessle, economics game.

Have to give something to work with here.

Please don't quote me.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2016, 01:01:31 pm »

Let's say

Fantasy
Medieval
Restricted
City
Building with a little bit of econ in there?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2016, 01:19:11 pm »

So basically a city builder with a little magic set in medieval fantasy times? Ok, moving on:

1.) Decide if you are building top down or ground up. Top down is big picture then zooming in on a little one. Ground up is the opposite, starting small and adding on as needed/desired.

2.) Imagine yourself as a potential player of this game. So you're looking at it, and what's the first thing you see or think of? What options and obvious goals do you have? What obvious challenges do you have and how might you overcome them potentially?

3.) Think up some regional powers, one or more ... countries / kingdoms that are major players. Think up smaller ones. Define their relationship to each other and what they are, generally.

4.) Start thinking of some problems that might pop up, a la "quests." Perhaps the beginnings of a storyline?

Please don't quote me.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2016, 09:54:57 pm »

1. Uh, Ground up?

2. People, their skills, resources, buildings? Gathering more resources to make more buildings and have more people?

3. Do I just make up countries? Will have to get back to you on that? If I really get it. I don't know.

4. Defending attacks and getting resources?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2016, 08:14:51 am »

Workable....

1.) Ground up means designing a single space or small area. Focus on that as a starting point.

2.)

People: X
Labor Avl: X/#
Food Req: X/#
Home Avl: X/#
Resources etc....

Resources: (Stocks and Flows) (where stocks is what you have and flows are the increase or decrease per turn presently or as best known).

Food: X (+8)
Lumber: Y (-3)
Stone: Z (+0)
etc

Buildings (List Buildings and Functions as well as modifiers like infrastructure / roads).

Intangibles: (Morale, Happiness, Religion, Culture, Appeal, etc).

3.) Yes, if you'd like I could give general guidance upon that perhaps?

4.) Good start, more. Consider groups within the area and from outside it. What are their needs, wants, and goals. How might they achieve these. Would they be adverse or in line with any potential players' reasonable goals? Outright aggression, planning and strategic opposition? Trade wars and embargoes? Political problems? Competition not arising to military levels (economic or regional competition for customers, suppliers, transit, etc). Alliances and cooperation, in need of assistance? Reluctant to join but persuadable? The enemy that could be turned friend? How?

Please don't quote me.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2016, 04:49:41 pm »

Fantasy, Medieval, Restricted (magic), City, Building with a little bit of econ in there?

1. Build Mode: Build From Ground Up
We start in a flat land.  And optional, we have a 1 room hut in the middle of our field.

2. Resources: Food, Stone, Lumber to name a few.

This means, we need items to obtain resources.
Tools: Hoe:Food, Pick:Stone, Axe:Lumber.
or Buildings:  Farm:Food, Quarry:Stone, Wood Cutter Hut:Lumber.

3. Scope:  What is our land compared to other nearby lands?
Are we one of many lands, some peasant or land owner?
Is there a government that govern our land?  A central town, a city, a kingdom?

4. Defense:  Yes, I like defending from outside threats.
So perhaps an escalating threat based on our levels to keep it challenging.
Kobolds, then goblins, orcs, trolls, ogres.

And we use magic to defend.
Actually, we can create some tech-tree to determine what defenses will be available.
Be it traps, or hired human patrols, magic, or combination of all.

Anyway, interesting stuff.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:52:43 pm by Sanctume »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 20, 2016, 05:00:07 pm »

On the original topic, http://tgchan.org/wiki/Advice_for_Running_a_Quest is a neat guide.

Battlements, my badlyISG, ended up going nowhere because, well, I ran out of things to happen and lost interest, because I had no endgame.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2016, 01:39:23 pm »

Good place to start I guess. Thanks. Anything else so far?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2016, 10:53:45 am »

Simple enough capture interest; complex enough to keep it....
Can't be too complex, few will get it. Can't be too simple, it's been done before, a bore.

When creating, think in at least broad terms of:

A.) Why does anyone care?
B.) What can players or anyone do here?
C.) What supports/pays for this? (subquestion, how can this matter?)
D.) What does this produce or create? (same subquestion, how can this matter?)
E.) Who makes decisions? Based on what/how?
F.) What happens if someone tries to overtake / disobey / or invade this?
G.) How does this relate to other things, near, and far?
H.) How does this feel / have atmosphere?
I.) Are there any "metapoints" or overarching themes to all or part of this?
J.) What problems are in the area / might come to the area?

Keep these in the back of your mind.

Please don't quote me.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2016, 04:24:59 pm »

Is it just me or does every town just seem to blur together in games? Same taverns same streets. How do you answer those questions anyhow and does anybody?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17