Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does the Internet discourage intellectual discussion/debate?

Yes
- 21 (27.3%)
No
- 45 (58.4%)
Not decided entirely, maybe
- 11 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Does the Internet discourage intellectual discussion and debate?  (Read 27974 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Does the Internet discourage intellectual discussion and debate?
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2015, 10:09:13 am »

If't pleases you. Just remember that folk where you live are the sort who'll shoot back.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2015, 10:11:09 am »

Mate, these fuckers'll shoot for no reason, nevermind getting shot at first. If that was a concern I'd never go outside.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2015, 10:26:27 am »

Nah, if I were going to shoot people involved in that nonsense, I'd be shooting the ones that are complaining about it. I can actually find large numbers of those in driving distance. Rabid SJW stereotypes barely exist outside the internet (or on it, really), but people frothing about political correctness and whatnot are literally down the street in numbers that require more than fingers and toes to count.
I live in London, I can tell you rabid SJWs don't come from the internet, they merely go on it. Dyed armpit hair and problem glasses as far as the eyes can't see, shitlord

More worrying, these fucks are in power trying to ban all problematic speech.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2015, 10:33:53 am »

A SJW is the most terrifying being imaginable. For them to be that terrifying, they must be real. Therefore they are real.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2015, 10:35:45 am »

Nah, if I were going to shoot people involved in that nonsense, I'd be shooting the ones that are complaining about it. I can actually find large numbers of those in driving distance. Rabid SJW stereotypes barely exist outside the internet (or on it, really), but people frothing about political correctness and whatnot are literally down the street in numbers that require more than fingers and toes to count.
I live in London, I can tell you rabid SJWs don't come from the internet, they merely go on it. Dyed armpit hair and problem glasses as far as the eyes can't see, shitlord

More worrying, these fucks are in power trying to ban all problematic speech.

^Pretty much this. Frumple just happens to live in a place where they're more reserved. In europe and parts of south america, SJW dweebs are everywhere and often have connections with the government, who's all too happy to use them cannon fodder and leverage to silence all opposition and have them lobby for anything the government wants. Cue calling all oposition "fascists" and silencing any speech that doesn't support their own.

Hell, look at Brazil, who's currently fighting to remove a 12 year old corrupt as all hell lefty government from power. The only guys actualy defending the government are the so called "social movements" that claim to "represent the opressed minorities", and who just happen to gain ludicrous ammount of public funding, and some of them may even have ties with south american dictatorships. Things are getting specially heated now that Argentina kicked Kirchner and her cronies out.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:40:03 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2015, 10:51:53 am »

Yeah, claiming that SJWs only exist on the internet is, quite, simply, bullshit. Just look at Sweden, the entire political dialogue is built around them, and it's terrifyingly dysfunctional.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2015, 10:53:12 am »

SJWs Internet moralists* have as much political power as cats. They can sometimes be annoyingly noisy, or scratch furniture, or chew cables, or piss on the bed, or puke on the keyboard, or... well, whatever they do, the point is that being a nuisance does not make you powerful.**

* I prefer this term because it has less usage as a snarl word for non-stupid, non-internet people.
** This is one of the Iron Rules of Politics, in case you haven't noticed.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2015, 11:06:47 am »

Here is where I personally draw the line on such issues--

Does the person trying to "step up" use thier resources to actually give voice to a social minority (as in a charity group that provides enabling services, but has no message of its own)-- OR-- Does the person trying to "step up" raise their resources to raise their own voice, on a topic they innately can know nothing about?

The former, I have no problem with.  This is a good thing, and allows actually repressed or disadvantaged people to hold the mic, and let the world hear them.

The latter, I have a serious problem with. This is a bad thing. It is hypocrisy incarnate, as instead of the actual situations faced by the targeted minority getting spoken about, it is instead purely the opinion and rhetoric of people of privelege, working themselves into a rabid lather over what they THINK those people experience. This poisons the actual social discussion by parading a caracature of the problem around with such loudness and grandure, that the actual voices of the actually disenfranchised gets smeared with it. This makes people who would otherwise be sensible, and sympathetic toward solving actual adversity become adverse to even listening, because of how radically batshit the characaturized version is.

Recent example from history:

Hearing about communism in the soviet union, from people who lived in the soviet union.
vs
Hearing about communism in the soviet union from Joe McCarthy, and his cronies. (Or from Stalin's PR machine, either one is just as bad.)

It is important to keep in mind that there does not need to be an obviously malign agenda, like with the prior example. People can truely mean well with thier interjections-- The problem persists though; They are raising their own (imagined) perception of the problem, rather than using their resources to hand the mic over to people that actually experience the problem.  When that happens, they drown out the signal, and make only noise.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:15:41 am by wierd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2015, 11:26:06 am »

It is more that SJWs kind of "Talk for them" and if the group they are speaking for disagrees well "They are just brainwashed".

Not that the reverse doesn't happen where a group goes "No one can have an opinion on this unless they are us"

--

So you get a LOT of situations where the SJWs are offended by something that the group in question is not.

A huge example is Speedy Gonzales from Loony Toons who have been banned for YEARS because "White People" thought it offended Mexicans... when in fact it was the opposite the Mexicans thought it was a great and positive character.

And honestly the examples are rather long if I chose to list them all.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:28:50 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2015, 11:28:04 am »

Funny you mention that, my hispanic co-worker loves speedy gonzales.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2015, 12:01:20 pm »

Since this thread seems to be in danger of turning into an SJW-bashing circlejerk with little self-awareness, I'm encouraging everyone to read these words of wisdom on the subject of "internet safety/justice," or whatever you'd call it. It's by one cynical and disagreeable old misanthrope, but regardless, I found it eye-openingly astute and true for the most part.

Spoiler: A few key points: (click to show/hide)

Remember: Whenever you're raging helplessly about "SJWs censoring and controlling and ruining the internet," you're thinking exactly what the media wants you to think.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2015, 12:04:17 pm »

Remember: Whenever you're raging helplessly about "SJWs censoring and controlling and ruining the internet," you're thinking exactly what the media wants you to think.

Well no... I can distinguish the difference between the two.

People will ALWAYS try to paint the opposition in extremist colors, whether or not they are.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2015, 12:04:57 pm »

SJWs Internet moralists* have as much political power as cats. They can sometimes be annoyingly noisy, or scratch furniture, or chew cables, or piss on the bed, or puke on the keyboard, or... well, whatever they do, the point is that being a nuisance does not make you powerful.**

* I prefer this term because it has less usage as a snarl word for non-stupid, non-internet people.
** This is one of the Iron Rules of Politics, in case you haven't noticed.

When you're wrecking the inventor of Javascript and Nobel laureates, banning thoughtcrime from campuses to countries and you fucking dominate the politics of three continents you are far more than annoying. Just look at Oxford and Cambridge - two intellectual centers of Western civilization and the world. They don't give a fuck about free speech or challenging ideas, they want to get rid of everything they find problematic. These centers produce the leaders of tomorrow and the majority of middling managers and controllers of the Western world. 1 in 7 world leaders studied in UK Universities. This is a staggering amount of influence that lets people get away with the witch hunts, curtailing free speech from University to State level (last year they tried banning criticizing Islam and Feminism. The latter of which you will note have great enthusiasm for censoring and false flagging, and just so happen to be sitting in the U.N. making the case for making a "safe" internet.

^Pretty much this. Frumple just happens to live in a place where they're more reserved. In europe and parts of south america, SJW dweebs are everywhere and often have connections with the government, who's all too happy to use them cannon fodder and leverage to silence all opposition and have them lobby for anything the government wants. Cue calling all oposition "fascists" and silencing any speech that doesn't support their own.
Hell, look at Brazil, who's currently fighting to remove a 12 year old corrupt as all hell lefty government from power. The only guys actualy defending the government are the so called "social movements" that claim to "represent the opressed minorities", and who just happen to gain ludicrous ammount of public funding, and some of them may even have ties with south american dictatorships. Things are getting specially heated now that Argentina kicked Kirchner and her cronies out.
These aren't fringe crazy cat ladies, control the Academia and you will have the future leaders and consumers all on the same page. They've decided in this case that all must be fighting all that is problematic by any means necessary, there are no such things as bad tactics and only good targets. Remember, racists are subhuman, and racists are people I don't like.
Do you know what the politics in Britain is like? I can't comment on South America, but I can for Britain. Our police and councilors covered up so many rape gangs I've lost count, and they're still going on. Our Rotherham MP Sarah Champion is getting on average 10 more English girls a week, where some of them had been branded as chattel and all raped and groomed and passed around - the police and councilors of course having also destroyed evidence to maintain social cohesion, and the media also keeping quiet about it in the runup to the elections. No national taskforce has been set up in spite of state commissioners being sent to take over from the corrupt councilors. One of them, Rochdale - is fucking notable because when people said there were Pakistanis who were treating prepubescent English girls as meat they were called racist by the media and by its MP Cyril Smith (who is now himself under raped one of the boys working for him). The reports that came out determined that the local councilors were worried about appearing racist so brushed it all under the rug letting several thousand English girls be turned into sex slaves because. The identity politics is so prevalent and the SJW mentality so strong that our largest left wing party is currently undergoing infighting because its communist leader has been accused of harassing and bullying his centre-left party members and the accusation that has picked up the most is his bullying of women MPs. His supporters are in turn trying to get these MPs replaced with their own and are shaming them on Facebook and Twitter for not being left wing enough to their liking. And then it comes to the internet where if I don't have to worry about Joexirphine Bloggs and xir echo et al or the U.N. cucking it out, I have to worry about my own Cuckservative government (who also all come from Oxbridge, incidentally with all three main parties "left" and "right" all united against the only party whose leader didn't go to Oxbridge) trying to curtail freedom of speech on the internet (already succeeded in real life) with expanded anti-trolling and the excision of """"hate"""" from the internet. And to top it all off if they fail to get these kinds of laws through Parliament they just get the EU to pass these laws. The war on hate has only one response from me: Consume a bag of poz'd dicks
They are such a powerful tool, heck you may remember when I posted about our local ex-MP Lutfur Rahman who got away with years of corruption, literally stealing ballot boxes and council tax money by calling everyone who investigated him racist. We had people posting on youtube Rahman's lads literally storming voting booths and stealing the ballot boxes and when the BBC sent their guys to investigate they backed out when Rahman called them racist. It took a year after that for a shitlord Commissioner to rekt him.

SJWs have as much political power as cats.
People baking Jihad cakes for instagram, people trying to summon skinwalkers, people tipping tinfoil hats; they've got as much power as cats. Funny on the internet. SJWs are much more.
Before we had to curtail freedom of speech to catch pedophiles and if you didn't support them you were a pedophile, then we had to curtail freedom of speech to catch terrorists and if you didn't support them you were a terrorist (they failed), then we had to curtail freedom of speech to catch subhuman racists and it's done.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:36:59 pm by Loud Whispers »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2015, 12:28:18 pm »

*snip*
There are quite a few things in that post, but here's just a quick note Re: colleges:

I've only seen that shit happen in hugely expensive and prestigious private universities à la Oxbridge and Ivy League. There's nothing---not even the earliest warning signs---of that sort going on in rinky-dink Finnish state universities, for example.

I wonder why that is?

EDIT: Also, LW: Everyone's heard that Rochdale stuff so many times that you can stop posting it now, thanks. It's blood-curdlingly heinous and wrong, but (at the risk of sounding callous) so what? There's nothing we can do about your shitty corrupt officials in your country---we can only hope that you guys will succeed in smoking them out of their offices and throwing them in jail, if that's what they deserve.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:39:44 pm by SirQuiamus »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2015, 12:51:17 pm »

EDIT: Also, LW: Everyone's heard that Rochdale stuff so many times that you can stop posting it now, thanks. It's blood-curdlingly heinous and wrong, but (at the risk of sounding callous) so what? There's nothing we can do about your shitty corrupt officials in your country---we can only hope that you guys will succeed in smoking them out of their offices and throwing them in jail, if that's what they deserve.
Because it's relevant?
Because it's a direct fucking result of the PC era?

So when people say that SJWs and the like have no affect, the travesty that is Rochdale is a current and continuous example of why they're wrong.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12