Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Don't Starve- Survival nightmare sim  (Read 37974 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Starve- Survival nightmare sim
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2014, 07:54:14 am »

Yeah, I raged against it for 15 minutes before I just installed chrome and bought it anyway. The thing is, I raged at the idea of installing Steam, then Origin, then.........

At the end of the day, I can either stand firm with my convictions or I can play the latest games. (shrug)
Yeah I also refuse to install Steam / Origin / etc. Especially Origin and their ilk which just feel like wannabe Steams trying to get in on that sweet sweet marketplace-control action. And I don't play consoles or mobiles, partly because of region locking (which I've never had a problem with but which is absurd) and exclusive releases (I'm not gonna buy a console just to play a game, it should be released on all da consoles).

Then again I don't play new games. I play games from like 3+ years ago. It means I only upgrade my hardware when it dies, my new hardware is always inexpensive, and the software is inexpensive, fully patched, has available mods and expansions, and there are well-developed reviews online so I can avoid the stinkers and only buy the gems. You generally see games re-released without DRM after some time as well.

So despite being a customer I'm not really the big guys' target audience.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2014, 04:12:04 am »

*Casts Necromancy lvl 1: Thread embalming fluid applied*

Don't Starve Together, the multiplayer standalone expansion thing-a-ma-jig is on early release for public purchase (which gives two copies for $5 if you already have the game, or I think $20 and includes one main game and 2 copies of DST if you don't) sometime today.  Also, it gets released free of charge to people that own the game after awhile anyway though (and the cost of the main game goes up afterwards).

Brother got me Don't Starve on the turkey sale thingy and it was decent at least, and had quite a few mods... wondering how this will translate into multiplayer.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 15, 2014, 08:38:34 pm »

I received beta keys, and I've set up a little "Bay12 Server" on my own laptop. The setting is wilderness, which means you will need to find other people by exploring. Also, when you die you die permanently. PvP is also enabled, but that doesn't mean you're not allowed to be friends.

The password is "fun".

EDIT: Unfortunately I can't seem to keep the server going while logging off myself (have to go to work).

I wonder if there is a way we could set up our own dedicated server.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:50:25 pm by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 15, 2014, 11:11:50 pm »

I'm involved in the Beta as well, but after playing for a few hours with a friend I already miss my RoG content.

Really hope they integrate it.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2014, 11:41:31 pm »

EDIT: Unfortunately I can't seem to keep the server going while logging off myself (have to go to work).

I wonder if there is a way we could set up our own dedicated server.

If the computer isn't going with you to work, you can simply lock the login.  Things would continue to run, but no one can mess with it unless the password is entered.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2014, 09:40:27 am »

At what point would I do that though? The character creation screen? I can only seem to host a server while actually having a character in the world. So just let my guy starve and leave things running with my char creation screen as is?
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2014, 09:53:15 am »

At what point would I do that though? The character creation screen? I can only seem to host a server while actually having a character in the world. So just let my guy starve and leave things running with my char creation screen as is?

Hmm...  no idea, then.  Perhaps now that Don't Starve Together is out in the wild (even though it's only early access), options will improve in the future.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2014, 02:15:41 am »

I bought the frontier thing for 5 dollars (edit: Actually, I had 1.11 steam dollars, so a bit less than 5). Anyone who is interested, that is rather a huge sale. It comes with base game (for those who don't have it), but more importantly (for me anyway) is that it comes with TWO frontier copies. I gifted one to my friend as soon as I got it, and the other one for myself. But, that is quite a deal.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:48:07 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2015, 02:18:38 am »

Does anyone have Don't Starve Together and would like to play?

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2015, 02:43:27 am »

Whoa! There's a Don't Starve thread on these forums? Neat! Unlike DF, I've actually found Don't Starve penetrable after a few days of playing. Here's how my last Adventure Mode run went... (spoilers)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, but like DF, Don't Starve is the kind of game I spend more time modding than actually playing. Here's a sneak-peak for a character mod I'm making!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, what do you guys think? Would a character like this be balanced enough? All I have left to do is the scripting and half of the character lines. All of the art and sound effects are finished.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:45:11 am by DragonDePlatino »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2015, 03:05:53 am »

I really like the design, the art and the powers.

I worry about the sanity stuff though, because while the code of of honor is interesting, it might lead to a snowball effect. E.g. you get hurt bad in a fight and run, which hits your sanity, which summons a shadow monster who hurts you, so you run, losing sanity etc.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2015, 03:29:57 am »

Hey, glad you like the idea! And the sanity issue wouldn't be hard to fix at all...There could be a 6-hour cooldown for the sanity loss. If you flee from several battles within the same 6-hour period, you don't loose the sanity from fleeing.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2015, 02:48:15 pm »

The new DLC Shipwrecked is out! It adds a entirely new map with a bunch of new biomes. You have the ability to build boats and sail between islands. It still feels a lot like the old Don't Starve. Some things are merely reskins of older items but there seems to quite a few new toys to play with as well.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2015, 03:15:31 pm »

Yeah, some things are reskins, but there is a lot of new stuff. Actually the reskins are rather few, I'd say. Crabs instead of rabbits, and they have new behaviors. Sweet potato instead of carrots. New look of the berry bush. New look of the pigs. Most of everything else I've seen was either completely new or exactly the same as before.

Coconuts make for a great early long-term food supply, I found. Very slow to spoil before they're cooked, and decent nutrition.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]