Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Good and Fun JRPG that isn't trying to be an Anime?  (Read 5543 times)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
Re: Good and Fun JRPG that isn't trying to be an Anime?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 12:25:04 pm »

Honestly I like anime and Agarest was terrible. The gamplay alone is just terrible.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 12:29:35 pm »

Also, someone mentioned septerra core, which is currently on steam and I never played it. Consider my interest picked :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 12:37:50 pm »

It's probably not what you're looking for given that it's visual aesthetic can best be described as 'extremely retro', but Undertale is (technically) a JRPG by play style, given the menu-based combat system that's been combined with a bullet-dodging minigame for defending against the enemy attacks, as well as (more importantly) a big focus on story and characters over gameplay.

It's also pretty un-Anime, depending on your definition of 'anime'. Anime as a subject does become a plot point between several of the characters, but it's mostly being poked fun at.

I don't know if it's what you're looking for, necessarily, since you seem to be a fan of more turn-based tactical RPGs, but it might pique your interest.

Alternately, if you want something that's heavy into the turn-based tactics, Valkyria Chronicles is pretty good. It's technically very unlike most jRPG systems, but at the same time some of the key elements are there: the story, the characters, and the fact that it's turn-based.
Nothing important here, move along.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 12:52:22 pm »

Yeah Valkyria Chronicles isn't a Anime RPG for sure. Well ok if it IS an anime RPG it is in the style of those really old animes... but still I dont' count it :P

But its anime sure is "WAAAAY too anime"

I'll have to afford Valkyria Chronicles someday.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 01:19:33 pm »

Also, someone mentioned septerra core, which is currently on steam and I never played it. Consider my interest picked :v

I heard the Septerra Core version on Steam has some problems with it and that the Gog version was better.  I have it on CD so I don't know first hand.
Pages: 1 [2]