Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Wands Race II - Forenia  (Read 3087 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race II - Forenia
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 04:57:34 pm »

No, I think we'll be using Moskurg's railguns instead of Arstotzkan cannons. Though we will most certainly combine some Arstotzkan self-propelled-shell tech with Moskurger high-velocity cannons to make deadly combinations. Oh, and add in a little guidance magic using Lucky Strike and an enchantment, because we can.

Added together, that should be enough to shut down pretty much any enemy landing attempts.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 06:26:08 pm »

We also happen to be heavily invested in weather manipulation magics, including precision lightning strikes and tornadoes. It's a good idea to make anti-air anyways, because all that stuff is expensive and requires mages, but it's a good option to shut down large landing groups.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2019, 07:55:43 pm »

I was thinking accelerator/lightning charged bolts of adamantite. Would be great to have a rapid fire chained/Gatling format of said Weapon. Aimed for sky and now the crazy space Vikings down.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2019, 08:13:38 pm »

A gatling railgun sounds pretty complicated, but I bet we could manage. The need to have multiple powered magnetic rails would make it pretty darn expensive, though. It would be cheaper to make a gatling cannon powered by just steam or gunpowder, as that way each barrel would only have to be a simple gun barrel, not a powered rail, which requires more precise engineering and more expensive materials.

A rapid fire single barrel railgun would also be possible, but it would quickly overheat and wear down the rails.

I think for rapid fire our best options are either some sort of propellant or a purely magical means of accelerating the projectiles. It's still a bit out of our tech range, given that we've never created rapid fire weapons before, and our existing guns all rely on steam or electricity. It may be a better idea to make a flak cannon, firing bombs with a fuse or proximity sensor, so that it still hits aircraft on near misses.

Or we could go the other direction and invest in air superiority fighters. Vaulters might have an intrinsic advantage in aircraft, though, being a space based civilization.

Ah, but I do agree that a self-propelled railgun with lucky shot built in would suffice for most anti-air applications. Lucky strike makes up for the difficulty in hitting aircraft just as much as rapid fire or fragmentation bombs do.

...That also makes me think we could attach a lucky shot wand directly to a lightning rifle as a "sight". Unly really useful if a mage is holding it, but it should increase the effectiveness of elite snipers.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:18:28 pm by Egan_BW »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2019, 05:21:44 pm »

The only advantage they'd have would come from the technology they have. We will apparently not be losing out on as much tech as it originally appeared (though losing out on any tech at all seems...silly) and thus we will be able to counter them/fight them pretty easily.

Anyway the first thing we'll need to do is take stock and just start recombining stuff.

We'll want to mix Arstotzkan and Moskurger armor techs and material techs so that our infantry and vehicle armor is consistent (and better than the individual materials). Then we move on to weaponry, mixing self-propelling munitions with high-velocity railgun weaponry controlled by magical circuitry. Also, we should try and add in some new storm magic, so mages have something to do with themselves besides twiddling thumbs and acting like glorified batteries.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2019, 10:40:51 pm »

The only advantage they'd have would come from the technology they have. We will apparently not be losing out on as much tech as it originally appeared (though losing out on any tech at all seems...silly) and thus we will be able to counter them/fight them pretty easily.

Well... The Crystalworks was destroyed in the final battle if I remember right. It was a product of many years, and it may have been neglected in the reconstruction... Or more likely, the development time to reinvent all the patterns for most of the military stuff it used to be able to make was neglected in favor for getting it ready to aid reconstruction and civilian efforts. Basically, if the Crystalworks stands now, it's at best a shadow of its former self.

Let's all be honest, a bunch of Arstotzka's tech needed the Crystalworks in some shape or form.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2019, 01:22:07 am »

Yes, the wrote themselves into a corner depending too much on Crystal works and trying a magic tech/steam punk revolution.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2019, 02:43:24 pm »

Year 1

It has been a decade since the Vaulters left, forsaking you, the true rulers of the island of Forenia. Your astronomers have reported seeing the Vault drop in its orbit, as if it were landing.
Your military advisors have already prepared the war machine, requiring only your approval to begin production and recruitment. You hold designs from both sides of the First War, united under one king.
Your researchers are eager to design and implement new designs and strategies. Our suveyors scry the land for mineral resources to boost the war effort.
The astronomers predict that the Vault will land in about 2 turns. It is time, to prepare for war. Because war never changes.

Your cartographers have created this map from old war maps, and will update it as time goes on.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your first Designs, as well as a Strategy, are welcome.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2019, 03:13:38 pm »

Lightning Rifles, if we don't have those already.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2019, 03:53:51 pm »

DEATH RAY

A GIANT RAY OF ACID, BURNING FORTH.

This is a serious design. The ray emanates from the caster's outstretched palm and has a half mile range. A forcefield protects the caster from backlash, and the ray is about an inch in diameter.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:58:57 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2019, 04:04:37 pm »

I say we use storm magic with albaest to make magicpunk rail guns. To shoot st air targets.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]