Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Strongest base playable animal character?  (Read 31026 times)

Glueable

• Bay Watcher
  • Panickew
    • View Profile
Strongest base playable animal character?
« on: December 16, 2015, 09:18:32 pm »

I've been messing around in arena mode, and in my results, the Adder Man has won against a Tiger Man with brute strength, has anyone else found any playable race stronger than the Adder Man?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: Strongest base playable animal character?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 05:58:55 am »

Maybe elephant seal man? Their sheer size would make them terrifying.
Adder men are venomous, by the way, so that might be venom, not brute strenght, that makes them so powerful. Scorpion men may be more effective than adders, but I'm not sure about their size.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 02:15:55 pm »

Can you "milk" your own venom as a venomous animal, to coat it on arrows and such?

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 05:07:40 pm »

Giant desert tortoise men. A legit tanking ability if your enemy isn't armed or really big.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 08:20:39 pm »

Elephant seal man. I've done tests. They're really slow, though.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 12:15:22 am »

Can you "milk" your own venom as a venomous animal, to coat it on arrows and such?
Definitely not. There's no circumstances where you can milk anything in adventurer mode, or in any mode where you can "milk" venom.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 12:32:33 am »

As far as pure effectiveness goes, I've had great success with spider[Whether its brown recluse or jumping doesn't seem to matter] people. They're pretty small and sort of weak, but six arms makes up for it. I usually go with two short swords + a 2-hander while wearing two shields and multiattack with all three weapons each turn in a vaguely terrifying flurry of blades. Scorpion people are probably similarly strong, if not more so. They've also got six limbs to stranglehug you with, which is probably useful for a wrestling build.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:40:30 pm »

As far as pure effectiveness goes, I've had great success with spider[Whether its brown recluse or jumping doesn't seem to matter] people. They're pretty small and sort of weak, but six arms makes up for it. I usually go with two short swords + a 2-hander while wearing two shields and multiattack with all three weapons each turn in a vaguely terrifying flurry of blades. Scorpion people are probably similarly strong, if not more so. They've also got six limbs to stranglehug you with, which is probably useful for a wrestling build.

Wouldn't it simply be more advantageous to bite them as a spider/giant scorpion man and invest in wrestling, stealth and armour instead? Given that you have a inbuilt syndrome effect, but instead you're inclined to engage them in combat.

Giant tortoise man worked out well for me, good all rounder beat up some farmers for fun (I can never seem to get past the initial first 5 mins of adventure mode due to FPS reasons so i just go on a spree with whatever i start out with) good times with my mace, 10/10 would mace terrified farmers again.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 10:55:18 pm »

Everybody prepare, for the newest devlog has brought news to us of a horrific monster, now twisted into humanoid form to be playable. I talk of course, of the elephant man! A horrifying creature destined to bring destruction to all that might oppose it. This giant monster can wield a maul in one hand a halberd in the other! All must be wary of such great strength.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 01:40:18 am »

Panda men are quite large, larger than the sapient races to be sure
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 10:55:15 pm »

As of 42.03 Elephant seal men. Objectively.

Their adult size is 1.5 million(compared to a dwarf's 60,000) causing their punches to send any normal race you hit flying and instantly gorify the location you hit. Wrestling then pinching limbs can cut them off and a simple throat strangle smashes the neck into gore.

Many a time with them I've flatly bit off goblins' heads in one bite.

Everybody prepare, for the newest devlog has brought news to us of a horrific monster, now twisted into humanoid form to be playable. I talk of course, of the elephant man! A horrifying creature destined to bring destruction to all that might oppose it. This giant monster can wield a maul in one hand a halberd in the other! All must be wary of such great strength.

Isn't he also adding GIANT animal people, too?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:19:16 am by Somebodyelse »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 06:07:35 am »

Because this mountain is my chair now. HAH.

Also I can still fit in your tiny hovel.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 12:50:34 pm »

Isn't he also adding GIANT animal people, too?

Sadly you can't play aquatic people... (at least not yet!...?!)

Been playing a Brown Recluse Spider Man, carrying a steel spear, an iron whip and my large copper dagger combined with an iron shield, two wooden shields and steel armor.
Makes short work of other living things, though I could imagine that swords would be better. Or whips and scourges. But I have yet to find any good ones.

And about the poison/venom/syndromes: they are not really worth it in adventure mode as it takes forever before they affect anything. Tried killing a lion by bitting it and waiting for it to rot to death (or such) ... I waited like two days before the rot even set in, and while it was stunned from the pain of the bites, I had to stab it in the head because I was running out of food waiting.

For a moment I also played a Black Mamba Man and bit an Elf (twice) to see how long it'd take for the venom to take effect - but here as well it took a bit longer than I considered "useful".
It's a fun addition for the occasional FUN kill, but I wouldn't make my choice just on that. Having 6 arms available on the other hand ...
Downside: you can't swim. At all. Unless you like watching a spider flounder helplessly in a bit of water, don't try it.

Also played a Giant Tortoise Man, not bad. Not bad. Quite standard from what I saw, no enemy tried hitting me in the shell though, so I can't tell if that helps or not.

I think I should really try out the Elephant Seal Madness - I love being able to throw enemies around and such.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 01:27:02 am »

Sadly you can't play aquatic people... (at least not yet!...?!)

You can edit the raws and replace aquatic with amphibious.

These guys are straight up cheating. I have backpack full of gold and platinum statues along with my main weapon being a slade statue without any speed penalties. Being able to throw around clowns is hilarous.

They're not invincible though, a necro tower full of zombies can and will still kill you. Zombies are indeed way overpowered.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 01:44:14 am »

it's more so swarm tactics beats out giant single targets.
Fort mode still has that bit where a handful of dwarves can kill a forgotten beast just by all attacking at the same time and getting lucky on hit die.
that whale would still have a hard time if a bunch of peasants swarmed you.
edit: wait no I remember the zombies in towers wear armor and have weapons.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 03:12:18 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8