Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Adventurously Lost Newbie  (Read 2430 times)

StruckDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Adventurously Lost Newbie
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 01:58:56 am »

I generally like to start an adventure between 125-250. Enough time has passed for people to be cursed as vampires and werebeasts and necromancers to have built their towers and written hundreds of books regarding those towers. Also most civs are going strong and have connections/conflicts with each other. As for quests, I'd try to start simple with local problems that people can actually point you towards. Asking about legendary beasts will likely not lead you anywhere as very few people will know where these beasts are, just that they exist. When you get famous enough to get quests from lords, they can generally at least point you in the direction of someone who might know where to find things.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: The Adventurously Lost Newbie
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 09:47:31 pm »

So, if you are wedded to the idea of directional keypad auto-attack, you can certainly do so successfully if your character's skill stats are several levels above your opponent.

However, the one fight where auto-attack will be like playing Russian Roulette is a fight against a creature with an emissions attack—specifically a dragon. If auto-attack selects a shield strike, that pretty much removes it as a defensive option the next turn. If the next turn involves the dragon breathing, or requires an auto-block versus a tile of pre-existing dragonfire, you're dead.

You can, of course, opt to avoid creatures that feature an emissions attack and focus on slaying all others. That can be both a gameplay and roleplay choice.

However, I'd encourage you to use a more manual approach to combat. That's more process driven and less goal oriented and you'll get more out of that.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 09:57:16 pm by peasant cretin »
Pages: 1 [2]