Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Strongest base playable animal character?  (Read 31024 times)

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strongest base playable animal character?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 07:56:20 am »

a necro tower full of zombies can and will still kill you. Zombies are indeed way overpowered.
The problem with zombies is not only that their absurd stats will make them parry everything all the time, but also that their absurd strength means that their muscle tissue is fucking unbreachable at the same time.

And if that's not overpowered as fuck then I don't know what is.

oh_no

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 09:48:44 am »

a necro tower full of zombies can and will still kill you. Zombies are indeed way overpowered.
The problem with zombies is not only that their absurd stats will make them parry everything all the time, but also that their absurd strength means that their muscle tissue is fucking unbreachable at the same time.

giant cave spiders, being webbed and put into a stunned state which gives anyone auto-crit on hit.
or letting a dragon breath fire on you, or any of the AOE effects demons have.
zombies are kinda of durable and not damaged when you see them, mostly because the game spawns them in for necromancers.
also spawns them in armor and gives them weapons sooooo compared to a normal player zombie these are groomed undead.
I tested a few out against bogeymen and 2 zombies while getting punched out are still fighting the bogeyman horde.
also the whole aspect of parry is kinda funny when that states they mastered the art of blocking with a weapon something I think the player can do.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 11:28:08 am »

Yeah, the entire time they were trollololo'ing all around me doing crazy matrix dodges and circus acrobatics. My giant 12 mil size unit had great(11) skill in fighter and striker yet was only hitting about half the time on "difficult" strikes. Most of their hits only inflicted bruises, but what took me down was one of them getting a lucky shot on a flipper, chipping a bone causing me to immediately give in to the pain(despite high willpower) then several pages of them hammering on my skull later I was dead.

The whole "any form of bone damage = instantly passing out" is also kinda broken. I've chopped off limbs before and they would still keep fighting, but break so much as a toe bone and it's coma time.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 01:46:54 pm »

Your complaints are imaginary. Zombies do not exist, so Toady is free to balance them any way he pleases and it will always make sense. It is not and cannot be overpowered or absurd.

Personally I feel it makes sense, as a necromancer is more or less channeling the power of a god to make the dead walk, so their strength is a strength of a god's power - unless you demand everything to fit boring tropes and you *know* what a zombie is or isnt.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 08:03:14 pm »

Your complaints are imaginary. Zombies do not exist, so Toady is free to balance them any way he pleases and it will always make sense. It is not and cannot be overpowered or absurd.

Personally I feel it makes sense, as a necromancer is more or less channeling the power of a god to make the dead walk, so their strength is a strength of a god's power - unless you demand everything to fit boring tropes and you *know* what a zombie is or isnt.
Counterpoint: They are not fun to fight in their current state.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2015, 08:26:59 pm »

Back to the topic, I tried elephantman striker last night.
Oh man, he is literally DF's ONE PUNCH MAN.
Any part my fist aim for just explode into gore, and that poor soul will fly across the room onr end to the other. :D

Bonus point, you also have to 2 spear in your tusk can be use as spear. :P

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 02:09:09 pm »

Well considering what the Toad has just posted I have egg all over my face and body.

Trainzack

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is, and we are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 07:50:22 pm »

Well considering what the Toad has just posted I have egg all over my face and body.

Well, on the bright side, you can now cook a wonderful fully body omelette.

And then eat it I guess.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 10:31:09 pm »

giant cave spiders, being webbed and put into a stunned state which gives anyone auto-crit on hit.
or letting a dragon breath fire on you, or any of the AOE effects demons have.
Yes, I agree. Those are also broken as fuck.

The way they could be 'balanced' would be making such attacks require 'charge-up' like states (think archvile from doom (without the prostrats)) that indicate that they are going to fire off such an attack - another great time to make Observer rolls - and consequently giving you time to get the unhallowed fuck away from there for dear life.

This also makes for the opportunity of painting mental pictures of someone looking at a dragon taking a big breath and doing a sick dive away before it huffs out pure death. Cool.

Full-body omelette or not, I'm still going to address this shit.

First of all I really dislike the whole "he has full articstik ctornol!!" argument that quite a lot of people bring up, due to it being completely backwards in regards to my second - main - point;
Dwarf Fortress is a game, that much is undeniable.
It is a fantasy world simulator first, yes, but it is also a game in that allowing you to interact with it is just as - if not more - important than just simulating the world.

This means that for it to be enjoyable, it has to follow the vague concept known as "good game design".
Here's a fun little anecdote from a radically different game;
The algorithms were, of course, very fun to construct and interesting to discuss outside of the game. The players, however, felt left behind -- the computer was having all the fun -- so we cut the feature. Further, games require not just meaningful choices but also meaningful communication to feel right. Giving players decisions that have consequence but which they cannot understand is no fun. Choice is only interesting when it is both impactful and informed.

--Sid Meiers, on Civilization game design

In this case we are talking about a turn-based action game, which has different requirements than "meaningful choices with meaningful communication of their effects" - though those are also important - the most important of which is the ability to handle a situation or fight.
DF is based in a high fantasy world - a more down-to-earth of the sort, yes, but there's still plenty of bizarrely unreal things such as titans of smoke and shit like that - which does give it an excuse to include gargantuan, terrifying figures that are nigh-unkillable and which can squash just about anyone with little effort. This is already present, as that is what function demons have; they're absolutely massive and crazy dangerous to fight without exploits, a terrifying foe.

Now, as cool as having those "big bad evil" creatures is, they have to be few and far between for them to be truly terrifying - otherwise they're just perfectly ordinary; if every enemy is massive and unbeatable, then there is no real contrast between them, and they don't carry any of the weight they would should they only be extremely scarce.

Besides the fact that having every enemy be unbeatable would make for a very boring theme:
Violence isn't all that impactful in a game like Hatred, since you both have no choice but to kill people and to execute them in various violent ways; there are no contrasting colors in this gameplay picture, it's all violence and gore, thus violence and gore isn't very impactful, unlike something like this (watch a couple of minutes).

Thus part of what makes for a good turn-based action game that has nigh-unbeatable enemies is to keep those enemies reasonably scarce.

But that is only one tangentially related thing, because I haven't even gotten to the meat of the issue yet.

The issue with the massively overpowered zombies (40.01-42.04, rip in piss) is one of meaningful choices.
With the "big bad evil", you have the choice of running away or not fighting them at all, like with zombies - but there is also no reason to fight them other than to challenge your luck and the well-being of your character for a blaze of glory.
Zombies, however, protect a certain thing you may want to put your hands on - namely the power of necromancy. An actual gameplay feature locked behind a wall of guards.

Your choices with the overpowered zombies, however, were severely limited; you could either bite the bullet and spend many hours (and probably a couple of powerful adventurers due to them only having to get lucky once) painstakingly dragging single zombies out of the their huge crowds and 1v1'ing every single one of them - a very boring exercise in patience - or dig around the wall and become a vampire to make the zombies not care about you.

You cannot sneak past them - they smell your life - you cannot kill them with throwing (cross/bows are completely out of the picture) because they are fast, untiring and extremely dodgy - and you absolutely cannot take them on in a brawl because each one takes forever to kill due to the absurd amount of muscle. Your choices are thus either doing something extremely boring in comparison to everything else you could be doing in the game, or becoming a vampire and skipping all the 'fun'.

That is not how a good game works, because this is neither a 'the ultimate big bad' kind of encounter or one that is supposed to be absolutely impossible to approach - since it is a wall to a special aspect of the game (necromancy is quite different from normal companions) - and it's certainly not set up to be anything particularly special; the demons are massive monsters, while zombies are literally rotting corpses.
For this to be good fun, you have to actually be able to handle it in some way that does not require exploiting(!) game mechanics for hours on end (not fun!).

Thus the zombies shouldn't be among the absolute strongest opponents in the game. They're nothing special - necromancers aren't that uncommon - and there's certainly no meaningful reason (the demons come from the terrifying depths of fantasy hell, zombies are walking corpses) for them to be among the most powerful beings in the world. The fact that they can't be defeated with stealth already dictates that brute force is the only solution, and thus this must be a viable solution - otherwise there's not really any choice (it's either "go vampire" or "fuck off", gee, fun!). That Toady has decided to make the zombies much weaker and clumsier while charging all the time is actually a good thing, since it means that you really want to break them up unless you wish to risk losing your footing and be stuck among a horde of zombies, which is already a change of pace from normal fights where such things aren't nearly as necessary. The fact that they're clumsy as hell likely means that if you take the lazy path of brawling and get knocked down, you can cut a lot of feet off to stand up soon afterwards, but that will require some actual playtesting to see if that's practical.

Either way, the nerf provides you with some actual choices on how to approach the fight; you should no longer be forced to spend hours taking down zombie Kenshiro after zombie Kenshiro in single combat exclusively with a fantastically skilled adventurer for a slim chance of success. That is a good change, because they had no place being just as (if not more) unwinnable than fights against the biggest baddest things that even exist in the world.

Which now solves this design issue I've rambled about for quite a while now that made zombies not fun, woop-ee.

In short, then no - this is not some imaginary issue. DF is a game, it should try to be a good one.
There are no excuses to intentionally make a shitty game that doesn't try to be a good experience.
Which is especially important seeing that the whole "fantasy world simulator" thing has a lot of effort put into it.

tl;dr good game design is hard and kenshiro zombies had no god damned place existing let alone being harder fights than fights against motherfucking demons from motherfucking hell, good thing they're gone now
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:55:50 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 11:17:52 pm »

I find that I agree wholly. ^
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 06:44:08 am »

Kenshiro zombies give a whole new meaning to "you are already dead", I must say.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 08:54:53 am »

The zombies guarding the secrets of necromancy are an appropriate challenge. They aren't entitled to fall down and make way for you just because your reach so extends your grasp that you run in before you're prepared.

On the other hand, they needed to be better balanced so that NPC's who should be able to fight them off, equipped and experienced fighters, would be able to. As it stands, no matter how powerful your allies have become, there'll still be a total casualty rate. I've only been able to solo a necro tower with a combat oriented character, but social oriented characters have no chance to recruit a party capable of achieving it. Also, these hearthfolk just get slaughtered when a necro bandit sends a horde to 'harass' their village.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 12:06:03 pm »

The zombies guarding the secrets of necromancy are an appropriate challenge. They aren't entitled to fall down and make way for you just because your reach so extends your grasp that you run in before you're prepared.

On the other hand, they needed to be better balanced so that NPC's who should be able to fight them off, equipped and experienced fighters, would be able to. As it stands, no matter how powerful your allies have become, there'll still be a total casualty rate. I've only been able to solo a necro tower with a combat oriented character, but social oriented characters have no chance to recruit a party capable of achieving it. Also, these hearthfolk just get slaughtered when a necro bandit sends a horde to 'harass' their village.
well no way outside of kiting the zombies out and running in and hoping to find the book. OOOOOR just knock over a statue get free necromancy pass and wander into the tower.
because now you don't need to find and kill a vampire to get a free pass at learning necromancy. or getting lucky and finding a necromancer with no zombies with a slab out in the open for you to talk them out of it.
necromancy for social characters kinda end up moot due to uhh zombies nature of killing anything with a pulse so using them to talk to others is a lot more tricky unless you tell them all to sit out. though that said if you want to use a free zombie army to get your hands on the real social character slab, the demon name then go ahead.
like man I still remember seeing my zombie army getting wrecked by a single normal hell demon so maybe the brokeness is how well equip the zombies are in that tower to how not equipped the ones you get.
that said wait can't you just fly with any of the animal people and just lure the zombies out.

that said I'm gonna miss those Kenshiro Zombies they were FUN. and isn't that the motto of Adventure mode? "Losing is Fun Now it's personal."
also I wonder what do people normally do in adventure mode all the time? because I rarely seen anyone mention going into the caverns after 40. not many know about vaults, has it just been bandit murder 24/7?

edit: wait I remember jumping would save you from webbing if you time it. also the game doesn't get rid of your access to a minecart so you can just ride that out of danger if you're webbed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:11:52 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2015, 12:45:08 pm »

edit: wait I remember jumping would save you from webbing if you time it. also the game doesn't get rid of your access to a minecart so you can just ride that out of danger if you're webbed.
Last time I stumbled upon a giant cave spider (df2012) you just immediately lost all control of your character the moment you were webbed (and consequently, you then 'instantly' die), is it any different now?

I should roll some character down in the caves. Has the "mysterious cave population mass disappearance" bug been fixed since df2012 too, by any chance?

oh_no

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2015, 01:06:41 pm »

Last time I stumbled upon a giant cave spider (df2012) you just immediately lost all control of your character the moment you were webbed (and consequently, you then 'instantly' die), is it any different now?

I should roll some character down in the caves. Has the "mysterious cave population mass disappearance" bug been fixed since df2012 too, by any chance?
oh well with my modded self the whole webbing mechanic on the other side basically makes you unconscious and anyone unconscious has opportunity of attack set to all their body parts including their head.
which the spider would gladly attack.  modded spider people with webbing on greeting has led to some practice on avoiding being webbed as any other race.
basically it's similar to how you can sneak up and stick a person into a headlock and choke them out giving you a Free que de grace.
that said the difference between a spider killing you with a bite while being webbed and you getting one shot from a goblin getting a lucky hit on your head is just the same.
also you get the same chance as well so it's pretty even all though. 
still waiting for toadyone to add giant cave spider people so I don't have to mod that stuff into brown recluse folks all the time.
like I still think you can scale 1 tile walls with minecarts if you throw them up properly. that's how I climb stuff in the old days.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8