Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Strongest base playable animal character?  (Read 31048 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strongest base playable animal character?
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2015, 05:47:50 am »

Salperticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2016, 07:38:44 am »

I know, it's been a while since this thread was used. But the topic kind of fits and it was a good read so far, so I thought I'd rather add to it instead of opening a new one.

As far as I have read until now, there seem to be three types of animal people favoured.
The spider men for the multiple limbs, the elephant men for the sheer size and strength, and the turtle / turtoise men for the ability to withdraw into their shell.

But how about wearing armour?
Assuming I have no clue about modding or how to properly use DFHack and just want to play the game (so I cannot "make" suitable armour for the three types suggested above), would it be worth to pick something more dwarf sized, so it can wear armour?

Three species come to mind in particular:
- The wild boar man, with a size of 75,000 being the largest animal man who is still able to wear (human) armour.
   - Snapping turtle men sound like a very tempting alternative, since they are of the same size accoring to the List of creatures by adult size in the Wiki. But as far as I can tell, that entry is wrong. The wiki page of the snapping turtle men states their size as 50,000, which seems to be correct; and too small for armour.
- The hyena / cougar man, with their size of 65,000 being able to wear both dwarven and human sized armour.
- The cheetah man, with their standard movement speed of 40 kph being ~33% quicker than other races - and they can still wear dwarven sized armour.

Could those three be an alternative to the ones mentioned above?
Or would the advantages of the others outweigh the armour?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2016, 08:01:58 am »

I haven't tried it yet, but I hear you can make any sized armor at your fortress now.  So you should be able to armor up your elephant man.

You man need animal man immigrants in your fort to be able to do it?  Not sure.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2016, 12:08:08 pm »

I haven't tried it yet, but I hear you can make any sized armor at your fortress now.  So you should be able to armor up your elephant man.

You man need animal man immigrants in your fort to be able to do it?  Not sure.
which is as easy as moving your adventurer animal person to the fort. and by easy I mean you may or may not have to trek all the way to a nearest player fort to get free custom made armor. but yeah probably doable.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2016, 01:13:07 pm »

If you do make armor for an elephant man adventurer, then you're going to want very high armor user skill, as a singular piece of armor will be massive and probably completely weigh you down without very high armor user skill. However, there is a benefit to this, in that the armor is also incredibly thick. Elephant men are 1/4 the size of demons, and back when demons still took over human civilizations, just their clothing would be enough to block pretty much any weapon's attacks. So if you get actual metal armor, you'll pretty much just be invincible.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2016, 09:25:54 pm »

If you do make armor for an elephant man adventurer, then you're going to want very high armor user skill, as a singular piece of armor will be massive and probably completely weigh you down without very high armor user skill. However, there is a benefit to this, in that the armor is also incredibly thick. Elephant men are 1/4 the size of demons, and back when demons still took over human civilizations, just their clothing would be enough to block pretty much any weapon's attacks. So if you get actual metal armor, you'll pretty much just be invincible.
The Elephant Man's achilles heel however is his trunk. Impossible to protect with armour. Will soon go flying off in an arc. Not sure if trunk damage will cause fatal bleeding or pain though...

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2016, 02:15:22 pm »

You could always build a trap that consists solely of serrated disks and walk into it fully armoured. It could quickly improve armour skill, as well as surgically removing your trunk so that it won't be a problem later. In all seriousness though, I wonder how much metal is required to fully armour an elephant man.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2016, 03:21:12 pm »

The Elephant Man's achilles heel however is his trunk. Impossible to protect with armour. Will soon go flying off in an arc. Not sure if trunk damage will cause fatal bleeding or pain though...

Then what about other types of animalmen? Rhinocerous Men are significnatly smaller (a mere 1.5 tons to the elephantman's 2.5 tons) but they shouldn't have any such vulnerability.  (Their horn might get sheered off, but I don't think that counts for pain or bleeding.)  Plus, they're still over twenty times the size of a dwarf, and will have armor twenty times as thick.  (With candy robes over steel breastplates and candy mail FTW!)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2016, 07:22:14 pm »

Then what about other types of animalmen? Rhinocerous Men are significnatly smaller (a mere 1.5 tons to the elephantman's 2.5 tons) but they shouldn't have any such vulnerability.  (Their horn might get sheered off, but I don't think that counts for pain or bleeding.)  Plus, they're still over twenty times the size of a dwarf, and will have armor twenty times as thick.  (With candy robes over steel breastplates and candy mail FTW!)
Most of the trunk is cartilage, which is similarly lacking in pain receptors or blood vessels, meaning it's just one size 200 body part with some skin that you're going to lose in blood, which might have an impact if you're also getting two arms severed, but your arms aren't getting severed with full armor. The trunk does have the [SMELL] token though, which might mean you'd lose your not very useful sense of smell. So, you become more likely to lose your sense of smell as an elephantman, but there's no real danger other than that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2016, 07:51:47 pm »

However, doesn't cartilage (unless modded) never heal, and continuously bleed, functionally winding up a gradual death sentence the first time cartilage is struck? 

Granted, you could try to sever the trunk purposefully, then fast-travel the same way you used to be able to melt off all your fat to become fireproof...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2016, 11:30:34 pm »

I've never had someone die of blood loss after losing their nose, so assuming the trunk is the same it shouldn't be a threat with regards to bleeding to death. An infection is a distinct possiblity, however.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2016, 02:23:01 am »

However, doesn't cartilage (unless modded) never heal, and continuously bleed, functionally winding up a gradual death sentence the first time cartilage is struck?

It'll stop bleeding like anything else, but it won't heal, so you'll die from infection. Same with nails.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2016, 09:46:38 am »

Interesting.

Of playable animal people capable of flight, swan men are the strongest. Still pretty weak and fragile, though.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

DrewLegend

• Bay Watcher
  • henlo my guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2016, 11:53:40 pm »

Adder man? I just made a new IWC adventurer earlier and checked for a adder man but there was none. Are they available in vanilla DF?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2016, 05:52:11 am »

Adder man? I just made a new IWC adventurer earlier and checked for a adder man but there was none. Are they available in vanilla DF?

They do still exist. Dont know if they are playable.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8