Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Strongest base playable animal character?  (Read 31006 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Strongest base playable animal character?
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2016, 06:06:07 am »

Might be that you're not getting populations of them on those worlds youve used. The animal-person would only be available for play if the world has a biome with that species present. No wild population, no adventuring.

Double check in your world sites and pops file to see if theyre even present.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2016, 12:06:59 pm »

Also for the ones choosing spidermen with many weapons, the way I understand it choosing many more shields is superior since it increases the chance to block stuff by a lot while still allowing you to attack with them.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2016, 02:24:33 pm »

Also for the ones choosing spidermen with many weapons, the way I understand it choosing many more shields is superior since it increases the chance to block stuff by a lot while still allowing you to attack with them.
Well you can also block with weapons, so I imagine at the point of having six weapons, the difference between shield and weapon doesn't matter much because you're pretty much invincible anyway. Except when taking ranged weapons and fire into account. Arrows are a lot harder to block with weapons, and fire cones can't be blocked with them at all. I'd go with, 2 shields then 4 different weapons as pretty much ideal.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2016, 05:44:00 pm »

Elephant men are huge.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2016, 06:28:48 pm »

Well you can also block with weapons, so I imagine at the point of having six weapons, the difference between shield and weapon doesn't matter much because you're pretty much invincible anyway. Except when taking ranged weapons and fire into account. Arrows are a lot harder to block with weapons, and fire cones can't be blocked with them at all. I'd go with, 2 shields then 4 different weapons as pretty much ideal.

I prefer two shields, 2 one-handed weapons and then a two-handed weapon. Sometimes you want to block things, sometimes you want to sever ALL THE LIMBS and sometimes you want to shove a pike into someone's sternum. Being able to do all of those at once is pretty nifty.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2016, 02:54:03 am »

A spear, a warhammer, a long sword, a great axe and your trusty copper shield. All the murder one could possibly need.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2016, 04:49:51 am »

Adder man? I just made a new IWC adventurer earlier and checked for a adder man but there was none. Are they available in vanilla DF?

I played as a rattlesnake man once, and I can tell you, it wasn't that great. Your bite is often deflected by mere clothing and even if you land a bite, it takes so many injections to kill something.

I made a cat sick in a few bites, but I bit a horse a two dozen times and it was still fine. You'll barely give yourself an edge in battle because the poison takes too long to do anything significant.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2016, 12:13:24 pm »

I would probably go with 3 shields and 3 weps. One spear, one warhammer and one axe. Since you know slashing, blunt and piercing. Would consider changing one shield for a free hand to throw stuff with though because that is too good in adventure mode.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2016, 12:28:52 pm »

One spear, one warhammer and one axe. Since you know slashing, blunt and piercing

Or just pack a halberd and call it a day.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2016, 04:48:13 am »

One spear, one warhammer and one axe. Since you know slashing, blunt and piercing

To be fair a scourge, a flail and a sword/spear is probably the best due to how weapons work. Scourges and flails are extremely quick weapons. It is unfortunate that its hard to get them in good quality.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2016, 04:21:52 am »

To be fair a scourge, a flail and a sword/spear is probably the best due to how weapons work. Scourges and flails are extremely quick weapons. It is unfortunate that its hard to get them in good quality.
I'm pretty sure scourges are held to be the worst weapon in the game. An edged weapon with no penetration to speak of.

Whips, on the other hand, are great. Over double the velocity, contact area of 1, and blunt (doesn't need penetration.) Goes through armor, chips bones, knocks foes out, goes through skulls.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:32:36 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2016, 08:47:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure scourges are held to be the worst weapon in the game. An edged weapon with no penetration to speak of.

Whips, on the other hand, are great. Over double the velocity, contact area of 1, and blunt (doesn't need penetration.) Goes through armor, chips bones, knocks foes out, goes through skulls.
Yeah, I was going to say something about that. Scourges have good velocity for an edged weapon, but they need a lot more than just velocity to be good. Whips do have the downside of being the only weapon with an attack speed other than 3:3, that being 4:4. So standard speed attacks will be as slow as normal heavy attacks, but it's probably worth it still.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2016, 02:26:11 pm »

Fair enough, mustve mixed them both up. I generally stick with a named/masterwork weapon of steel since they are pretty damn good to begin with. A whip should probably be made out of the same materials as other blunt weapons though.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2016, 12:48:37 am »

Some other animal men with fun features must be added to the list:

Capybara men! Being completely amphibious and almost exactly the size of a dwarf is pretty neat. Sleeping in the middle a murky pool is helpful (and fun if its a cold biome). Hippo men are also amphibious, but they cant jump, are slower than the average creature and are also big enough to not be able to wear any normal armor. They are strong though.

Bear men of all sorts also seem to be able to climb with thier feet, which means you can fight and climb at the same time. Not to mention they are pretty damn huge and strong. Grizzly bear men seem to be the largest since polar bear men cant climb. You probably wouldnt want to start in a freezing zone anyway due to the water problems you will get.

I havent tried this yet but it seems many of the insect men, like beetle men, dont need to sleep (due to the [NO_SLEEP] token). I personally find this very helpful in adventure mode since waiting for dawn is much less dangerous than sleeping. Many of them also seem to be able to climb with thier feet alone.

Even though it says axolotl can regrow limbs it doesnt seem to be supported neither in the raws and in the game. Including for the axolotl men. They dont even seem to have regenerating tissues.

Cheetah men actually are quicker than the average humanoid. They are also exactly the size of a dwarf.

Echidna men are actually a fair bit thougher than most other animal men thier sizes and can go into a shell like tortoise men. Unfortunately they are 30% smaller than dwarves which mean that they are pretty weak and cant wear normal armor.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2016, 01:42:45 am »

Are their any that can shoot webs? I've checked and I see no reason why they wouldn't, but I don't know of any that do.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8