Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Science]Discovery: The Sun Moves Around The Planet  (Read 3008 times)

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Science]Discovery: The Sun Moves Around The Planet
« on: January 18, 2016, 09:11:58 pm »

Sorry for the double-thread, but I just noticed that the sun moves around the planet differently depending on the size of the world!

I'm 100% certain this is the case, the larger your world the longer daytime lasts.

Let's discuss? Am I late on this discovery?
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: [Science]Discovery: The Sun Moves Around The Planet
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:37:37 pm »

Heh, thought this was about the worldgen discoveries of scholars.

I really doubt it.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 09:54:59 pm »

I've only played large worlds, so I can't be sure. I think daytime lasts longer the higher your Strength, Agility and Armor Use get.

I've seen a few books that claim the opposite, but this is 1050 year old world with discoveries in lenses and optics.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 10:15:25 pm »

I think daytime lasts longer the closer you are to crowds of people.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 11:51:26 pm »

"the sun moves around the planet"
Toady left that ambiguous, and scholars can come i fact up with that theory in worldgen.

But, it
Could just be the worlds rotation is just slower.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:54:02 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:53:06 am »

Could just be the worlds rotation is just slower.

This is what I think, sorry for the misleading thread title!

I find pocket worlds have a short day and night time on the fast travel screen not near cities and such. The small world I generated has a longer day-night cycle, I'm certain of it.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 04:45:45 am »

So what about the moon?
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

fomori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 04:43:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've seen worlds with both "the sun moves around the world" and "the world moves around the sun" books in Legends mode. Maybe the disagreements are why the scholars keep brawling with each other?  ;D

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 08:41:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've seen worlds with both "the sun moves around the world" and "the world moves around the sun" books in Legends mode. Maybe the disagreements are why the scholars keep brawling with each other?  ;D
That reminds of a scene in the Doctor Who book Empire of Glass, where Galileo gets into an argument with a Sontaran:
Quote from: Andy Lane
"You like our rakeshla?" a voice hissed. He turned, and found a squat figure in leather armour behind him. The creature's potato-like head, which grew straight from its massive shoulders, would not have been out of place projecting from the roof of a church.

"Rakeshla - is that what you call it?" Galileo burped, and wiped the back of his hand across his mouth. "It is excellent! Truly excellent! Where can I buy some?"

"We do not sell rakeshla," the gargoyle hissed, its lipless mouth stretched into a wide smile. "It is a drink of victory, a drink of celebration with which we of Sontara toast our returning warriors."

"And this -" Galileo waved a hand at the various creatures from the stars that surrounded them. "Do you consider this a victory?"

The gargoyle's entire upper body jerked forward. Galileo reflected that it was probably the only way the creature could nod. "Indeed!" it said. "The bargaining was hard, but the Doctor was more reasonable than we had expected. A true warrior prefers to gaze into his victim's dying eyes, rather than wipe out a star-system from orbit, and the agreements we have made here reflect that. A good result, for us all." Its piggish eyes glinted at Galileo out of deep-set sockets. "I am Tayre." The creature slapped a hand across its broad chest in salute. "I am Colonel in Chief of the Strategic Arm of the Ninth Sontaran Army. What is your rank and designation?"

"I am Galileo Galilei." He bowed. "I am an astronomer."

Tayre nodded. "Ah, a stellar cartographer. That is good. Accurate maps are a prerequisite for a successful military campaign."

Galileo nodded fervently. "If only more military commanders thought the same way you do." He glanced over at Cardinal Bellarmine, who was entwined with the silver-skinned woman, and said, "Tell me about your world, Tayre. Which sun does it revolve around?"

"None," Tayre replied, "our sun revolves around our home planet."

Galileo felt as though he had been punched in the stomach. "You are mistaken!" he snapped. "That is not possible. Worlds must revolve around suns. I know it to be so."

"Sontarans are never mistaken," Tayre hissed ominously. "We have rearranged our solar system more logically. The Sontaran Imperator decreed it."

"No." Galileo shook his head. "Worlds revolve around suns. I say it is so."

"Are you calling me a liar?" the Sontaran snapped.

"If truth is beauty and beauty truth then your ugliness shows you for the liar that you are." Despite the fact that it was the wine talking, Galileo was pleased with the insult. His pleasure lasted only for a moment, until the Sontaran"s gloved fist smashed into his face.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 07:04:46 pm »

That reminds of a scene in the Doctor Who book Empire of Glass, where Galileo gets into an argument with a Sontaran:
"You like our rakeshla?" a voice hissed. He turned, and found a squat figure in leather armour behind him. The creature's potato-like head, which grew straight from its massive shoulders, would not have been out of place projecting from the roof of a church.

"Rakeshla - is that what you call it?" Galileo burped, and wiped the back of his hand across his mouth. "It is excellent! Truly excellent! Where can I buy some?"

"We do not sell rakeshla," the gargoyle hissed, its lipless mouth stretched into a wide smile. "It is a drink of victory, a drink of celebration with which we of Sontara toast our returning warriors."

"And this -" Galileo waved a hand at the various creatures from the stars that surrounded them. "Do you consider this a victory?"

The gargoyle's entire upper body jerked forward. Galileo reflected that it was probably the only way the creature could nod. "Indeed!" it said. "The bargaining was hard, but the Doctor was more reasonable than we had expected. A true warrior prefers to gaze into his victim's dying eyes, rather than wipe out a star-system from orbit, and the agreements we have made here reflect that. A good result, for us all." Its piggish eyes glinted at Galileo out of deep-set sockets. "I am Tayre." The creature slapped a hand across its broad chest in salute. "I am Colonel in Chief of the Strategic Arm of the Ninth Sontaran Army. What is your rank and designation?"

Tayre nodded. "Ah, a stellar cartographer. That is good. Accurate maps are a prerequisite for a successful military campaign."

Galileo nodded fervently. "If only more military commanders thought the same way you do." He glanced over at Cardinal Bellarmine, who was entwined with the silver-skinned woman, and said, "Tell me about your world, Tayre. Which sun does it revolve around?"

Galileo felt as though he had been punched in the stomach. "You are mistaken!" he snapped. "That is not possible. Worlds must revolve around suns. I know it to be so."

"Sontarans are never mistaken," Tayre hissed ominously. "We have rearranged our solar system more logically. The Sontaran Imperator decreed it."

"If truth is beauty and beauty truth then your ugliness shows you for the liar that you are." Despite the fact that it was the wine talking, Galileo was pleased with the insult. His pleasure lasted only for a moment, until the Sontaran"s gloved fist smashed into his face.

That was beautiful.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 03:16:52 am »

That was beautiful.

Aye, but does that necessarily make it also true?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 05:56:04 am »

Depends on where you are on the Kardeshev scale.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 12:24:49 pm »

I guess it depends on whether or not the sontaran sun is less massive than the planet, or if either of them understand orbital mechanics, since technically both objects move about their combined center of mass.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.