Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has anyone actually had a Citizenship petition?  (Read 18904 times)

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone actually had a Citizenship petition?
« on: December 17, 2015, 09:15:20 pm »

My current fort is six years old and none of my residents have yet applied for citizenship. Like many new things in a new release, it's difficult to discern if it's a bug or if I just haven't quite understood the system/played long enough.

So, simple question: Has anyone had a permanent resident apply for the upgrade to full citizenship? If so, how long did it take?

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone actually had a Citizenship petition?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 09:19:03 pm »

By my second year, I had more petitions than I could handle. I have humans, elves and goblins living in my fort. I think it depends on how well-visited/reputed fort might be. Do you have a nice library, some good temples and a popular tavern? Do you get many visitors?
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:46:42 pm »

I think OP means applied for full citizenship, not long-term resident.  (Though TBH, I'm not sure of the difference myself...)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 12:34:58 am »

By my second year, I had more petitions than I could handle. I have humans, elves and goblins living in my fort. I think it depends on how well-visited/reputed fort might be. Do you have a nice library, some good temples and a popular tavern? Do you get many visitors?

You're misunderstanding. According to Toady, there are two petitions: the Long-term residence petition, of which you, I and everybody else have plenty, and the subsequent upgrade to "Full Citizenship," which I've never seen and I suspect may be bugged.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 12:48:37 am »

You're misunderstanding. According to Toady, there are two petitions: the Long-term residence petition, of which you, I and everybody else have plenty, and the subsequent upgrade to "Full Citizenship," which I've never seen and I suspect may be bugged.

I've been wondering this. But I also know that not everyone's been running long-term forts since release. I'm hoping it just requires a mayor/baronry and a long-term resident to stay for x years. Who's to say though? Probably bugged.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 01:26:42 pm »

Odd, I have three human residents and its been a while. Is there something one does to increase the petiton rate? More engraving in the tavern? More golden tables?
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 02:01:27 pm »

I've had taverns become more popular just because people visit them. It was like an exponential growth kind of thing. I haven't had any citizenship petitions yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:06:08 pm »

I have 31 petitioned long term residents now, plus 63 tavern guests that haven't petitioned, and most of whom apparently won't go away. Year 10. No full citizen petitions yet though. I do have a Duchess, and a mayor.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 02:36:03 pm »

I went 12 years with my last fort with tons of residency petitions, but no citizenship petitions.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 02:53:42 pm »

Maybe it requires having a monarch or some such.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 04:57:52 pm »

Aren't they also meant to be able to petition to go into the caverns to slayer monsters?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 05:37:58 pm »

Aren't they also meant to be able to petition to go into the caverns to slayer monsters?
It has been seen, but doesn't seem to happen very often.
Maybe monster hunters just have a really low life expectancy so almost never actually make it to player fortresses?

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 05:40:16 pm »

I've only seen applications to be long term residents. Performers and such.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 08:13:40 pm »

What would happen if a long-term resident went through a strange mood?

If the result of that mood changed my resident Bard's occupation to some kind of craft, would he be able to apply for citizenship?

Because that just happened now. One of my resident bards experienced a fey mood.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 08:41:38 pm »

That gave me the mental image of a troupe of musicians going into the caves to play Slayer songs for the monsters.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2