Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 19: Most Worstest Things: Game over, man!  (Read 48337 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 19: Most Worstest Things: Game over, man!
« Reply #360 on: May 06, 2016, 09:14:01 am »

What did that sacred look like?

I think it was one of the giant mech suits?..... Not sure, too lazy to check to make sure.

Also AlStar, I forgot to congratulate you on your victory. So congrats.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 06, 2016, 09:57:52 am »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 06, 2016, 12:54:40 pm »

Not pictured there - they also turned into small water elementals when killed.
I'm fairly sure that they were being run with a water bless to boot, so increased defense and multiple attacks.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 06, 2016, 02:57:17 pm »

I did not stay around long (curse you, EuhreJack and your unwitting henchmen!), so I did not get any story events. I did get invaded by something like 3 barbarian hordes on the same month my neighbours took the proactive route to diplomacy and brought preventive intervention on me, so I'm going to insist the AI was in on the nation-assassination plot.

But holy Pantokrator's balls! How did E.Albright manage to stay around till the end game, and even kick some arse, with his horrid, abysmal, hopeless national troops? Pretty much the only thing they had going for them, even by Hoburg standards, was stealth all around the board.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 06, 2016, 03:12:11 pm »

Iknorite?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 06, 2016, 10:51:43 pm »

But holy Pantokrator's balls! How did E.Albright manage to stay around till the end game, and even kick some arse, with his horrid, abysmal, hopeless national troops? Pretty much the only thing they had going for them, even by Hoburg standards, was stealth all around the board.

Wait, YOU HAD STEALTH?! My faeburgs didn't have stealth!.... Why didn't I get stealth? (I actually thought glamour + stealth went hand in hand before this game, like how being undead/demonic implied 100% darkvision...)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 07, 2016, 12:30:56 am »

I think it was one of the giant mech suits?..... Not sure, too lazy to check to make sure.

Also AlStar, I forgot to congratulate you on your victory. So congrats.

From what I saw, AlStar conceded prior to destroying everyone.  So, gonna call that a draw and move on... :P

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 07, 2016, 12:44:33 am »

Glamour + stealth => +25 to stealth. They usually accompany each other. In vanilla, 60/67 units with Glamour also have stealth.

Themes like fae are intended to offset the lack of clockworks, crossbows, and such on lower-tech hoburgs, and so is stealth. The more technologically advanced your hoburgs are, the less familiar they are with the idea of subtly. Feral and agrarian tech levels have stealthy troops, while advanced and industrial do not.

Uganwald was agrarian, so most of our troops (well, none of our cap-only colossi, and none of our cavalry, and none of our "heavy" infantry with scale cuirasses - but still) ended up being stealthy. Our missiles were blowpipes, our weapons were bronze, and our armor was mostly leather, but at least we were stealthy! ... ... ... Yeah, everyone else was at least "advanced" tech-wise, so we really did have an unfair advantage going into the "worst troops on the map" competition.

Obmar was the highest tech level (industrial) but against the odds was also fae. This is a very unlikely outcome, and frankly it seems like a kinda painful one. Fae categorically prevents clockwork units (and makes crossbows much less likely), so you missed out on standard benefits of a high techlevel, but industrial categorically prevents stealthy units. So the end result was noisy, glamorous, over-civilized hoburgs galumphing around with plate armor, halberds, and such. However, I'm really not sure I want to make it possible for advanced and industrial fae hoburgs to be stealthy. There really is a beautiful awfulness to the current state of that extremely unlikely and horribly awkward combination of themes...

I suppose I could add a low-probability stealth pose - maybe ranged-only for ranger types? - in the higher tech levels. I'll give it some thought.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 07, 2016, 01:05:34 am »

Shouldn't Fae sacreds be stealthy?  Presumably they'd be the hoburgs most attuned to their Fae origins.

I wouldn't be too quick to discount the Glamour + Plate + Halberk combo.  Glamour means mirror images which increases survival, Plate increase survival, Halberds are Long weapons with Repel and thus increase survival.  Assuming the mages don't suck, those troops should hold the line for many, many turns.

EDIT: And Fae should be giving Air magic, which is decent battle magic.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 09, 2016, 04:27:12 am »

-snip-
Thanks, and those scared do look sweet.

So the game is over? Seems the random part did mess with things.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:53:27 am by ThtblovesDF »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]