Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 19: Most Worstest Things: Game over, man!  (Read 48052 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dominions 4 Round 19: Most Worstest Things: Game over, man!
« on: December 18, 2015, 01:57:58 pm »

Link to NationGen: https://github.com/elmokki/nationgen/releases/tag/0.6.9

Proposed rules: Admin takes your user name, applies some small uniform transformation (so we "keep it fresh", though seeds will effectively vary radically from the last round as it stands), and feeds it into a (publicly available) online hashing application to generate a nation seed. Nation seed is applied to a custom NationGen data setup weighted such that everyone plays hoburgs. You play with whatever grotesque nation results therefrom.

Settings:

Game name: Bay12GamesRound419
Map: Shahrivar
Mods: NationGen 0.6.9 with hoburg chances altered/NationGen: Raging Village
Era: EA (with LA-genned nations)
Disciples: No
Time allowance: 30 hours at start, presumably
Special site frequency: 35
Random event frequency: Common
Story events: On (and may the RNG have mercy on our souls)
Score graphs: Off
Hall of Fame: 15
Artifact forging limit : Limited
Thrones: 11/20 - all lvl 1
Renaming: Allowed
Research: Normal

Masochists & Guinea Pigs:
Jilladilla: Obmar
Boksi Hellheart: Kundorf
IWishIWereSarah: Korrelhorst
EucreJack: Noirbach
PrimusRibbus: Ciburg
Il Palazzo: Ersomark
Elfeater: Omark
AlStar: Sweoitmer
BFEL: Scheiwald
E. Albright: Uganwald
Mini Cheeetar: Sorzig
bulborbish: Simbaburg
Spoiler: The Horror (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: How does PBEM work? (click to show/hide)

Useful links:
Dom4 forums on Desura
Link to Edi's Dom4 Database
An archived snapshot of the Dom3 wiki: Yes, it's still relevant, and it hasn't been replaced yet, so... It has loads of useful information, including strategy guides. Keep in mind that while a lot of this information is still very useful and valid, a lot of it is entirely out-of-date.

Llama Server: the automatic hosting server for our game.
Llama Server's map and mod browser (Yes, it's not really a browser, but you can browse the maps and mods here)
Dom4 Mod Inspector Very useful. You can browse all the nations, items, spells and sites in the game with it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:57:38 am by E. Albright »

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

YES THANK YOU.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

In in in in IIIIIIN!

For teh Shire!

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could you give us an example of the variety of Hoburg nations, in the expected (new?) version ?

I mean, usually, I find the mecanical-enhanced hoburg either too good or too bad (depending on their other features) for their price, and I was a bit disappointed by having half the nations with giants in 4.17 (part of the reason I didn't get a N9)....

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I'm not expecting much in the way of changes to hoburgs in 0.6.10 even if I find myself miraculously arsed to finish it - I'm still on a primate digression (Samurai apes! Yetis! Machakan-style bandar "colossi"!), but there are a few WIP feral/agricultural-only themes I've been meaning to finish for, like, forever and a half. And if I can eventually get my grubby mitts on a spritedump from CoE4, I'm probably gonna add a non-industrial necromatic theme (Little longdead PD! Recruitable hoburg ghouls that need not eat - yet they do anyway!). But for now, I'd say the best way to get a feel for the state of the 'burg would be to go into NationGen/data/races/hoburg.txt and change the #basechance 0.5 near the top to #basechance 10000, and generate a few sets of nations.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We should limit magic site frequency, so that there's less gems to summon non-hoburg stuff to do battle instead.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A fair point. Likewise, we probably want EA or MA to avoid too many/too good human interlopers, but imposing LA gem frequency upon them would be reasonable. It takes a special kind of warped and twisted glorious world for hoburgs to dominate.

Hmm... generate all three eras from the seeds, let each player pick which of their three they want, then set all the nations to EA regardless of where they started out?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds like too much choice!

I say, generate all three eras, count all the human interlopers, and pick the era with least number of the oversized buggers. It's deterministic this way.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm... generate all three eras from the seeds, let each player pick which of their three they want, then set all the nations to EA regardless of where they started out?
Oh, I like that.

IP => the human interlopers would be the indie ones, as we can change the chances for all races so that we generate only hoburg ;)
And in EA, the indies are less likely to have crossbows, heavy armors, and all those things that would be inconvinient for the hoburgs ;)

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IWIWS: there can be human interlopers as secondary troops w/in the nations; I suspect that's what IP was talking about. Although that, too, can be weighted against. Do we want to ratchet down chances of secondary race troops/mages?

Hmm. I'm still leaning towards resetting the era to EA by default, but we could blind-vote on which nation-set (EA/MA/LA) gets set to EA, with me abstaining since I'd know which nation was whose. Thoughts?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds good.

It's just, I think we need more people before we start?

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile

Oh boy, does this ever sound interesting. Since you guys are okay with playing with nothing but gluttonous, lazy assholes(read: hoburgs), I'm sure you'll be okay with playing with me(a gluttonous lazy asshole) :P

But seriously, finals are over and I'm only playing in one game at the moment.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The endless spawn of Frodo forgives you all your sins and welcomes to the fold.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Boksi added directly, PrimusRibbus's excited noises interpreted as a request to join (plus, well, they were the one who was foul enough to suggest this, even though I was just waiting for an excuse - I nearly proposed this for 4.18), and IWishIWereSarah's asking too many questions and use of the first person plural while doing so interpreted as "volunteering". By that count we're at six, so while 2-3 more would be nice (and I plan to wait a bit to see if we can get them), we probably could go with just this short list.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25