Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 194

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Omega Base  (Read 268849 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion: Omega Base
« Reply #2745 on: May 03, 2018, 01:41:51 pm »

Is it? I hadn't noticed~
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: June 09, 2018, 06:32:26 pm »

Assuming the game survives the current mission, I am planning to do a Reality Shift once what's left of the fellas gets back to what becomes of Omega Base.

basically, I am planning on:
a) rewriting the character generation rules.
b) possibly instituting a pay system, inventory and item purchase system
c) probably generating a more regular tempdeath system, so character loss isn't quite as frequent

Spoiler: details (click to show/hide)

If this idea appeals to you, and you think you might like to continue playing, rejoin, or start playing, I'd appreciate either a PM or a post here to that effect.

additionally, I welcome suggestions, and, for the brave or foolish, some critical feedback.
be warned, I have failed to handle critical feedback well in the past, so I might not respond well at first. But, if you say it, I will mull it over, long after I've foolishly whined about it on here. (I'll try really hard not to complain about the critical feedback, I'm just saying I've made that mistake before).

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: June 09, 2018, 06:42:52 pm »

I kinda really want to throw my red-clay flesh-emulation humanoid construct sparrow woman back in here.
Tempdeath would limit my ability to die repeatedly, which would just be a shame~

Unsure what in specific you're planning for magic. Would specific magical powers associated with being a construct still be okay?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: June 09, 2018, 07:28:35 pm »

yes. the idea is to narrow down a given character's magical affinity. So, a construct would still have access to construct magic, but wold suffer in other magical areas. For instance, A construct might be completely unable to affect spirit beings, or might have no affinity over life magic. Or, with constructs, they might be designed to do one thing and do it well, but be poor at everything else. Medbot might have a full arsenal of medgear, but pciking locks, punching though walls, or communicating with the nobles would be right out.

basically, I think I might give generic magical classes and require each character to settle into one, with possible option for multiclassing. Examples of magical classes might be:
body modification/self buffing - for the melee oriented combatant
elemental caster: one who controls one of a variety of 'elements:' the usual suspects: water, ice, fire, rock, dirt, air, poison, etc,
summon oriented: natural beings, ghosts and other 'local' metaphysical beings, outer planar beings,
medical: medical.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: June 09, 2018, 07:39:51 pm »

Yes, I like those changes. Maybe I should wait until after these changes are implemented before making my new character sheet, my next character is going to be an iron golem.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: June 09, 2018, 10:07:47 pm »

Hmm. I'd make the creature classes be based on what your "animating force" is, so life force for living things, necromantic force for undead, fey force, etc. And that class gives you some limited control over that force.  So if you're a living human and want to mess with necromancy, you'll need something else in addition to your own body, like a focus or some kind of corrupting mark.
And some things you could use no matter what, if you know how. Like runic magic where you just have to write it, but need the knowledge and experience to do it right.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: June 10, 2018, 12:03:21 am »

b) possibly instituting a pay system, inventory and item purchase system
The game's going PTW?!
REEEEEEEEEEEEE
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: June 10, 2018, 02:13:45 pm »

These changes sound cool.

And dang it, random! Guess I will have to hold off on my character stolen from inspired by see-creepio
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: June 10, 2018, 02:34:55 pm »

These changes sound cool.

And dang it, random! Guess I will have to hold off on my character stolen from inspired by see-creepio
It's not really going to be the robot type of construct. I was thinking of something like "soul of an executioner/butcherer/criminal linked to a huge chunk of enchanted iron."
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: June 11, 2018, 10:53:21 am »

I was making a joke.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: June 15, 2018, 10:29:17 am »

Aright, here is a quick list of possible things that will be on the new character sheet:

Size class: Humanoid, small (1/2 - 1/4 mass of humanoid), large (1.5 - 3 mass of humanoid), tiny, huge, etc.
Size class would affect base stats like strength, speed, etc, by giving you a range of values to work with. For example, we could go with average lifting ability. For example, 125 lbs for human, means humanoid size would have a range of ~100 - 200, while small would have a range of ~15-50 around an average of about 25. this means a humanoid would be roughly four times stronger than a small class creature, on average.

Some Basic Character info
Creature type:Per Egan's suggestion, the player's animating force: living, undead, construct, Fey,

Intelligence tier: humanoid, higher animal, lower animal, none, superhuman.

Magical affinity: I'll provide a list of magical genres, though suggestins are welcome. genres closer to one's animating orce will require fewer character points to use, while those opposite will probably be locked, so an undead might have no chance to use "Nature/Natrual" Magic, or a Fire Elemental might have no affinity for Clockwork Magic.

Special features: Flight, extra limbs, drones, etc. These will cost character points to possess.

Stats (and skills)
Stat ranges will change from the current -2 to +4 to something a little different:
Cursed, Weak, Basic(the default level), apprentice, journeyman, Master, Exceptional

Cursed - the character has a literal curse, or is so bad wit hteh skill / stat  that they may as well be cursed. A cursed stat will result in death rolls fairly regularly. a cursed skill likewise.
a cursed constitution might cause a character to die from a cold, or from a minor injury that another could shrug off with ease. A cursed intellect might find the solution to a problem, but that solution might kill the player as a result. A cursed skill in mellee menas that character shouldn't even pick up a sharp instrument, lest she find it suddenly protruding from her eye.

weak - significantly below average. average human can pick up roughly 125 lbs you say? A weak character can go for a solid 25, maybe 30. a weak skill with ranged weapons means you could probably hit your target, occasionally, given time, and not much range. If you ween't distracted.

Basic is like what a normal non trained person might accomplish. sure you could fire a gun, and have a reasonable chance to hit, but you aren't gonna win battles single handedly.

apprentice: in training, getting better but still making rookie mistakes

journeyman. we might trust you to stick the pointyend into the other guy on a fairly regular basis, without causing your teammates undue problems as a result.

master: "relax, guys. I've got this."

exceptional: "Holy shit, did you guys see that?"

I'll try to work up better explanations as I go, and again, I welcome suggestions.

Will we have the same list of stats and skills? I think I will be altering that list as well
for example, I will probably do away wit hteh "blunt, sharp, ranged" skills, and make them subskills under "weaponry"

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: June 15, 2018, 11:41:54 am »

Can a magical contruct (like a golem instead of a robot) have no Magical affinity despite being created with magic?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: June 15, 2018, 08:54:24 pm »

No, not really. the Construct can have no magical talent, but the magic that creates it is still a fundamental part of it's being. In this case, "affinity" doesn't mean "skill," and relates as much to how magic works against the construct as it does to how the construct might use magic itse;f.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: June 16, 2018, 12:18:00 am »

Hmm, interesting! This’ll probably make it easier to branch into Gak’s demon powers beginning to manifest as he spends more time in this shell.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: June 16, 2018, 10:51:23 am »

Do you need help with suggestions for anything specific, like magic or types of creatures?
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 194