Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 194

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Omega Base  (Read 269001 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion
« Reply #2190 on: April 25, 2017, 04:41:35 pm »

Okay.

Anyways, shifting experiments, FloatCat is still what I'm after, because cat is Aylia's most familiar shifted form. since her Cat form was forcibly changed to FrostCat... welp, thats why combining those two. was trying for easy.

Did Cat becoming Frostcat make it harder to shift into?

Part of why I needed to hash out the details of whats up with Aylia's shifting is because these tests were going to be building blocks towards further ones with practical applications. Since these appear to be getting stonewalled from the start,
(and leveling up Aylia's MAG seems to have littie-to-no impact on her abilities), I guess I'll have to move along to something else.
((I guess she needs to just get a dozen specilizations? in that case eww @ having put one in her bow since she hardly ever gets to use it...))

So, time to train with Senna!

I want to make sure she has a reliable way to get ahold of me if she needs me. a Star Sprite that knows us both might work for that?

If Senna is free, I'd like to train with her some more. I think I've improved at fighting (+str, end, +unarmed), so hopefully I'll be able to show it.

Is she going on-mission soon? will she bring me along on it?

Since Aylia joined Omega, shes pushed herself and her abilities harder than she ever had before. Is the extended heavy use of her abilities having lasting effects on herself? making her Fey herritage stand out more?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: April 26, 2017, 07:21:10 pm »

Dar'yajira stares wide-eyed at the crumbled ball of metal for a few seconds, before sighing and sitting down.  He closes his eyes in concentration, returning to his true metallic form, before concentrating on the metal again.

Dar will return to metalcat form, buff his damage resistance... and then try again, this time forming it directly onto his body.  Hopefully being metal himself will make the metal easier to manipulate, and unable to instakill him.

((Why am I doing this, it's a terrible idea and gonna get kitty killed...))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: April 27, 2017, 04:03:46 pm »

Okay.

Anyways, shifting experiments, FloatCat is still what I'm after, because cat is Aylia's most familiar shifted form. since her Cat form was forcibly changed to FrostCat... welp, thats why combining those two. was trying for easy.

Did Cat becoming Frostcat make it harder to shift into?

Part of why I needed to hash out the details of whats up with Aylia's shifting is because these tests were going to be building blocks towards further ones with practical applications. Since these appear to be getting stonewalled from the start,
(and leveling up Aylia's MAG seems to have littie-to-no impact on her abilities), I guess I'll have to move along to something else.
((I guess she needs to just get a dozen specilizations? in that case eww @ having put one in her bow since she hardly ever gets to use it...))

So, time to train with Senna!

I want to make sure she has a reliable way to get ahold of me if she needs me. a Star Sprite that knows us both might work for that?

If Senna is free, I'd like to train with her some more. I think I've improved at fighting (+str, end, +unarmed), so hopefully I'll be able to show it.

Is she going on-mission soon? will she bring me along on it?

Since Aylia joined Omega, shes pushed herself and her abilities harder than she ever had before. Is the extended heavy use of her abilities having lasting effects on herself? making her Fey herritage stand out more?
You know, I think I misunderstood something. I didn't realize you were using normal frostcat form. I thought you were experimenting with Giant Frost Cat form and combining it with Floaty. I'd still prefer you trying that out with more normal other forms before branching into the exotic, but eh.

No, you don't need a dozen specializations to do your transforms. Just understand that combined shifts are notably harder than regular shifts, even for standard forms. Combined forms are possible but not easy-peasey. And they are unstable. So, expect them to be of quite short duration before falling into one or the other form. Also, they will be tiring, so don't think that you can drop out and immediately back into one.

As an example, let's go ahead and do an attempt at frostcat floaty (1) You shift to cat form, then slowly expand until your feet begin to lift from the ground, before suddenly, with a flash of ice, pop out into a rather small floaty form and fall to the ground, rolling along an incline until you tumble to a stop against the canyon wall, bruised and embarrassed. a ring of tiny ice shards encircles your starting point, with a fine mist in the air as the ice rapidly melts in the desert heat.

Star Sprites are property of the Legion, and are given out only on specific missions. I suppose you could get a communications gem or something. Maybe a bonding spell or something, though Senna might not agree to that.  Your training session goes well, and Senna notes your advances with some approval, making useful suggestions regardign forms and echniques, and avoiding particular mistakes and the like.

What are you thinking in terms of 'lasting changes'? Bleed through from your forms? Some kind of evidence of the particular race of Aylia's father?

Dar'yajira stares wide-eyed at the crumbled ball of metal for a few seconds, before sighing and sitting down.  He closes his eyes in concentration, returning to his true metallic form, before concentrating on the metal again.

Dar will return to metalcat form, buff his damage resistance... and then try again, this time forming it directly onto his body.  Hopefully being metal himself will make the metal easier to manipulate, and unable to instakill him.

((Why am I doing this, it's a terrible idea and gonna get kitty killed...))
(5) you get a nice form fitting metal coat, and a sort of headset thingy that leaves your ears free and rests on your forehead and around your cheeks. You had a metal sheet, a rod f some kind, some wire, and some fasteners, I think. The wire links the helmet to the coat, the fasteners become decorations on the helmet, along the cheeks and in the center of the forehead, and the rod becomes short exoskeletal braces alongside your legs. I'm ... not entirely sure why you thought this might be potentially fatal.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: April 27, 2017, 04:40:26 pm »

@Floatcat - Embarassment is no reason to give up (yet)! Lets try it again! To Floatcat form!

((mixing Giant Frost Cat and floaty is one of those later experiments with practical applications. this one is groundwork that will probably have little use until later.))

At what size do I begin floating?

Her dad's traits, her forms bleeding through, generic fey traits, sensitivity to Fey things, anything like any of that, or even other changes to her body and default form. Heh, is she growing fairy wings? :P

While Aylia was in Star Sprite form on Omega base, she'd have gained some perspective regarding its location because of the nature of Star Sprite form. Where is it? some extradimentional pocket? would explain all the teleportation...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:57:57 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: April 28, 2017, 01:38:18 am »

((I was afraid it might be lethal because when he rolled a one, he crumbled the metal into a ball.  If he accidentally did that while shaping it on his body... well, I visualized a soft fruit being squeezed hard.))

Happy with his success, Dar will test the new armor out, taking a short run and jump with it on, while still in metal form.  How encumbering is it?

Regardless of the answer, he'll remain in metal form and head down to the base of the canyon, and look around for where the moss was left.

((He'd probably go looking for Noir at this point, but Abstract seems to be AWOL...))

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: April 28, 2017, 12:33:17 pm »

((You called? Sorry I've been busy! Lots of shit been happening lodt my uncle two days ago and I've hsd a bad week.))
Noir had been lost in thiught for a few moemnts after talking with the girl and kinda rubs their head. They supposed...this was a nice place. Maybe some meditation would do her good.
Let's do some meditation.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:36:50 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: April 29, 2017, 07:10:18 am »

"Reply: This one sees your point. This one supposes the nature of the missions is useful for weeding out the weak and incompetent.

Query: So what will you be doing around here, now that the asylum is completed? Got a permanent position in the asylum or something?"

Chilling out, maxing and relaxing  all cool

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: April 29, 2017, 02:27:33 pm »

You four want a mission together, or you wanna chill at the base a while longer??

@Floatcat - Embarassment is no reason to give up (yet)! Lets try it again! To Floatcat form!

((mixing Giant Frost Cat and floaty is one of those later experiments with practical applications. this one is groundwork that will probably have little use until later.))

At what size do I begin floating?

Her dad's traits, her forms bleeding through, generic fey traits, sensitivity to Fey things, anything like any of that, or even other changes to her body and default form. Heh, is she growing fairy wings? :P

While Aylia was in Star Sprite form on Omega base, she'd have gained some perspective regarding its location because of the nature of Star Sprite form. Where is it? some extradimentional pocket? would explain all the teleportation...
That (1) drained your transformational energy. As a result, you had to wait a day before trying again. (6) this time, you get a rather furry pufferfishesque shape. You float at about twice frostcat's normal dimensions, only spherical. Legs stick out to the sides and are rather useless, and no tentacles. Your mouth unhinges, so you can at least fit more in there at a time, but overall, this form is rather awkward and seemingly useless.
(3) You can't tell if they are your dad's traits or not, but your features have sharpened over the time you've been here. Fingers are thinner, waist narrower, eyes slightly tilted.
(3) mmm. Yes, traces of your forms are bleeding over. Skin hardening, some hints of downy fur, a greenish tint around the eyes.
(?) how would you even test Fey sensitivity? Are you getting more bound to tradition, ritual, and conceptual archetypes? Which ones?
() She is not growing fairy wings, though Bluebell form has those.

Star Sprite form tends to view distances in a very peculiar way. "All is connected, all is near. yet some things are distant. Omega feels distant, but it is remarkably close to some places. From your experiences with transportation, you get the sense that Omega could be a particular location inside Fey, bound on all sides by the unknowable - the fog, darkness, or emptiness of unexplored thought forming an impenetrable barrier around the hard and known spot that is Omega - an island of reality in a sea of chaos. But, in Star Sprite form, you don't see any chaos at the edges of Omega. It feels more like ... well, You've never experienced any actual stars in Star Sprite form, so you really have nothing to compare it to, except Sky and Lathal. it's like Lathal, except without anything else around, and not a sphere, but a plane. Ground is down, sky is up, the cardinal directions are out, Omega is in.

((I was afraid it might be lethal because when he rolled a one, he crumbled the metal into a ball.  If he accidentally did that while shaping it on his body... well, I visualized a soft fruit being squeezed hard.))

Happy with his success, Dar will test the new armor out, taking a short run and jump with it on, while still in metal form.  How encumbering is it?

Regardless of the answer, he'll remain in metal form and head down to the base of the canyon, and look around for where the moss was left.

((He'd probably go looking for Noir at this point, but Abstract seems to be AWOL...))
((Even though you were worried about this killing you before the crumpling, that explanation makes sense, so consider me enlightened.)) The armor is a tad bulky. Dar's natural jumping, dodging, and stealth are halved while wearing it. Too, his normal druidic talents are limited, though his Lathalian powers are enhanced, or at least freed from some restriction.
I don't even remember where the moss was put. Consider it planted in some viable location, watered, and still in "freshly transplanted plant" mode.

((You called? Sorry I've been busy! Lots of shit been happening lodt my uncle two days ago and I've hsd a bad week.))
Noir had been lost in thiught for a few moemnts after talking with the girl and kinda rubs their head. They supposed...this was a nice place. Maybe some meditation would do her good.
Let's do some meditation.
intelligence -2, memory -2, will +1. (5) You clear your mind of all thought.

"Reply: This one sees your point. This one supposes the nature of the missions is useful for weeding out the weak and incompetent.

Query: So what will you be doing around here, now that the asylum is completed? Got a permanent position in the asylum or something?"

Chilling out, maxing and relaxing  all cool

"Well, no, not exactly. I do have a certain set of useful skills for dealing with madness and magical chaos, though, so, in addition to my other duties, I do oversee the general operations of the asylum. But that is secondary. My primary role is in operations. Basically, I make sure the day to day tasks that keep this place running are done. And, of course, I am still an active duty operative, so I can get called out on mission at the whim of the Captains. it keeps me pretty busy, but I like to find time to do nothing, too. I find that a lot gets done just as well without me sticking my meddling nose into it" *laughter* "So, sometimes I poke around in the various departments for a day or two just to remind people that I still exist, and make them thankful that I generally leave them alone ot do their jobs." *Grin*

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: April 29, 2017, 03:22:20 pm »

((Make that five.))

Rockcat! Emerge from the earth and immediately give Dar a high-five.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: April 29, 2017, 03:56:52 pm »

((I literally had meditation training from those clerics Ozark so I think it's not that hard to meditate. Just letting you know.))
Noir open's her eye's and breath's with a small smile on her face relaxed. Things felt clear. Things felt pristine. She got up brushed herself off and left the asylum silently. Quietly she went to look around. Maybe she could find Aylia. Or dar. Or....someone new. Yes.
That would be nice.

Explore.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:59:00 am by AbstractTraitorHero »
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: April 29, 2017, 07:54:46 pm »

((yes interested in a mission, may edit in an action later - am tired right now.))

EDIT:

I think... I think that's enough for now.
I need to take some time to relax, so that's what I'll do. I can organize my room, use a little ice magic to make it a comfortable temperature, and just rest.
So.... yeah. lets do that.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:50:34 am by Lenglon »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: April 30, 2017, 02:16:27 am »

Skills:
Melee Combat: +0
Ranged Combat: +0
Magic Stamina: +0
Magic Precision: +0
Magic Power +0
Medicine: +0
General knowledge: +0
Skill Mastery: +0

Presented without comment.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: April 30, 2017, 10:05:43 pm »

Well, since you seem open to giving information, what are "Lathalian powers"?  Just stuff related to the armor, moss, and metalcat form?  Or can Dar now use his nature magic on normal metals?

As for the moss... well, Cho'ja moved it down into the lowest part of the canyon, where there's a little bit of moisture, back when we first came back.  I had only expected the armor to take an action or two, and intended to go right to taking care of the moss afterward.  If you want to skip that, that's fine--the only thing I wanted mentioned is that Dar would like to place some moss in a small cave that he can hide and sleep inside, and perhaps use some magic to toughen the fungus if he's worried about its survival.

If we are skipping the moss, Dar will shift back to fleshcat form and go find Noir.

((@Egan
...Yeah, that would certainly be much more balanced.  It would require some reworking of stats, since the mental stats already control some of those magic traits, but even without any rework it would be much better than what we have.  Then again, Omega Legion is already pretty lethal--sure, magic might be the only way to be competitive in the game, but is that worse then there being no way to be competitive?))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: April 30, 2017, 10:12:13 pm »

((It is, at the least, a melee buff. Which is good, because I love melee. It makes sense for it to be a larger investment to be good at magic than to be good at fighting, and many of our casualties are due to being squishy unstable mages rather than hard dependable fighters.

One thing that just occurred to me is that it will be very easy for totally magicless people to go -2 in all three magic skills, and reap the rewards in other categories.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: April 30, 2017, 10:40:22 pm »

((True, it is a melee buff, and a mundane buff as well, but that buffed melee would be weaker than the current buffed magic.  While a fair number of casualties come from people being squishy mages, there's plenty of mages who survive a long time (Clunkers, Dar, Aylia, Noir...) and... to my knowledge, no mundanes who survive for long; the closest to that is Cho'ja, who has insect magic.  Maybe Thrips?  He seems to survive mostly on account of just being superfluous and not taking risks, no offense to Yoink.))
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 194