Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Razed goblin pits are repopulated within days  (Read 1130 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Razed goblin pits are repopulated within days
« on: January 05, 2023, 01:27:54 am »

The area around my fort is lousy with goblin pits (around 200 individual sites) so I'm trying to clear it out. However, within a few days of my squads successfully razing a site, the site will be repopulated. I've razed one particular site at least 3 times but it keeps getting repopulated. My military can't whack-a-mole them quickly to make a dent in the local population.

Anyone else having this experience, or have any ideas what I can do differently?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Razed goblin pits are repopulated within days
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 04:05:08 am »

Its been well known for a while that razing is ineffectual for anything but keeping the numbers down rather than exterminating a site (the ruined state doesn't last longer than a day before some other migrants in half a day's walk distance repopulate it again, occasionally i've even had elves move in).

If you want a site to stay down and not return, its more apt to attempt to conquer it after a few razing attempts if the first conquest was not successful.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 09:08:07 am »

I'm new to the whole raiding and conquering thing, last I played was before it was introduced. Can you specifically tell the military to conquer a place and not just raid it?

Can you actually, if you're crazy enough, potentially conquer every other site like towers and such, just from a single fort?
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 10:48:36 am »

I'm new to the whole raiding and conquering thing, last I played was before it was introduced. Can you specifically tell the military to conquer a place and not just raid it?

Can you actually, if you're crazy enough, potentially conquer every other site like towers and such, just from a single fort?

Yes, most of my forts turn into world conquest forts.

It's also a good way to recycle either useless migrants or dwarves who are mentally unstable.

Urist threw a mug at someone? Give that dwarf an axe and let him manage that hole in the ground a few weeks away from here!

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 11:56:56 am »

Urist threw a mug at someone? Give that dwarf an axe and let him manage that hole in the ground a few weeks away from here!

Only a copper axe, though.  We don't actually expect him to need it, nor do we want him to use it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 10:14:00 pm »

Its been well known for a while that razing is ineffectual for anything but keeping the numbers down rather than exterminating a site (the ruined state doesn't last longer than a day before some other migrants in half a day's walk distance repopulate it again, occasionally i've even had elves move in).

If you want a site to stay down and not return, its more apt to attempt to conquer it after a few razing attempts if the first conquest was not successful.

Good to know, thank you.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.