Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Character-Driven Let's Play Galactic Civilizations III  (Read 2942 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Character-Driven Let's Play Galactic Civilizations III
« on: December 22, 2015, 12:34:31 pm »

Hi there! So I'll be hosting this lets play of GalCiv3. We'll be playing on a Gigantic galaxy, with loose clusters. Some other settings, etc. which I won't be explaining(spoilers? :P) since they're actually going to be irrelevant to the gameplay(Save for victory conditions which are Conquest, Influence, and Alliance). Tech brokering is disabled however, so we can't just trade technologies with the diplomacy feature if we haven't discovered them on our own.

So anyway, every turn will equal one game year, I will be playing 5-10 turns every post, because of this reason. You play as people in the game! Instead of voting on stuff like some let's play, you'll generate a character which can be anything they want. Military Officer, CEO of a space corporation, etc. However, they WILL age, so you should probably have kids to continue your timeline. We will be starting in the year 2100 as opposed to what the game says. As well, there are two branches of the lore military, Starfleet and Starforce. The first is Ships and vessels, the latter is the operating combat soldiers. So, anyway, if your interested fill out a character template and I'll get you setup in the game.

Name:
Current Age:
Traits(Select up to 3):
Current Occupation(free to think of whatever you like):

TRAITS:
Sharpshooter(In personal combat gain +3 accuracy, operating on a 1-10 RNG scale)
Tough(In Pers. Combat gain +3 HP)
Rich businessman(begin the game with 10 million personal credits)
Navigator(when at the helm of a ship, +5 speed in roleplay tactical combat)
Born engineer(25% increase in repair rate on ships during RP battle, can work at Starfleet shipyards)
Political Connections(If you need a ship built, you can get it moved up by 1 spot in the ship queue)
Keep in Good Shape(10 years added to lifespan which is by default 100. Hey, it's the future)
Family Man(Start the game with a family, which will be useful if you want to continue your bloodline)
College Educated(Gets promoted to sergeant instead of ensign if military, gets promoted to CEO if part of corporation)
Pioneer(When habitable planets are found, you are one of the first to go scout them out)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:57:16 pm by x2yzh9 »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Character-Driven Let's Play Galactic Civilizations III
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:47:26 pm »

Tech brokering is disabled however, so we can't just trade technologies with the diplomacy feature if we haven't discovered them on our own.
BUT THATS THE most broken BEST PART!
Seriously, how ELSE are you gonna get all the tech? If it works like 2, then half the techs are one-race only, so you HAVE to trade for them.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 12:58:57 pm »

Tech brokering is disabled however, so we can't just trade technologies with the diplomacy feature if we haven't discovered them on our own.
BUT THATS THE most broken BEST PART!
Seriously, how ELSE are you gonna get all the tech? If it works like 2, then half the techs are one-race only, so you HAVE to trade for them.
Well yes, but I feel as if though it's too easy to just trade some tech to one civ, there you go, you have your techs AND theirs. then you can trade both of those to another species and voila, you basically are minmaxing. but I'm not sure. I'm actually not the best at galciv 3 but hey it's a tough game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 05:38:17 pm »

Name: Jimmy Wonderful
Current Age: 10
Traits(Select up to 3): College Educated, Family Man, Tough
Current Occupation(free to think of whatever you like): KING OF EVERYTHING

I'm sure everything above is completely correct and Not-Broken.  :P

As for the Tech Brokering discussion, a boring COMPLETELY RELEVANT story:
My favorite game of Master of Orion 2, the game from which all these other 4X Space games have been sucking inspiration, consisted of the Klaxon, where I wasn't even able to pick my own research items in each branch.  Having to fight with what I had rather than min-maxing was fun!  So I'm ok with the lack of tech trading, we'll beat the Xenos with Native Tech.  Xenos are inherently inferior, thus their tech is inherently inferior, and thus beneath us.

Speaking of which, are we playing Humans?  In some of this series, its not automatic but in others it is.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 06:14:27 pm »

Yes, we shall be playing as humans, duh? :P anyway I played to about turn twenty so we'll just be going in increments of ten turns from now on, tonight I'll take a couple screenshots, explain the story so far(lore) and the different player characters positions

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 04:16:23 am »

Name: Donovan Kint
Current Age: 34
Traits(Select up to 3): Rich Businessman, Richer Businessman, Richest Businessman (30 millo credits please! :P)
Current Occupation(free to think of whatever you like): Martian Crime Lord
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 12:10:43 pm »

Name: Elise Kynes
Current Age: 23
Traits(Select up to 3): College Educated, Pionner, Keep in Good Shape
Current Occupation(free to think of whatever you like): Planetologist

My favorite game of Master of Orion 2, the game from which all these other 4X Space games have been sucking inspiration, consisted of the Klaxon, where I wasn't even able to pick my own research items in each branch.  Having to fight with what I had rather than min-maxing was fun!  So I'm ok with the lack of tech trading, we'll beat the Xenos with Native Tech.  Xenos are inherently inferior, thus their tech is inherently inferior, and thus beneath us.

My favorite was to set the difficulty to impossible and then play a custom race with the creative trait and democratic government.  Sorry xenos, I cant hear you from the inside of my Death Star.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 08:27:03 am »

Eh, screw it, I'll try this out.

Name: Blue Fordak
Current Age: 18
Traits(Select up to 3): Rich businessman, Family, College Educated.
Current Occupation(free to think of whatever you like): CEO of a company, named Blu-Corp. With military, civilian, and science infringes. Basicially all-around.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 03:49:30 am »

Name: Greg Parsons
Current Age: 35
Traits (select three): Sharpshooter, sharpershooter,  sharpestshooter.
Current Occupation: Starforce captain who can shoot a man's  fishsticks out of his mouth at 500m with one eye closed!

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 07:59:19 am »

Name: Greg Parsons
Current Age: 35
Traits (select three): Sharpshooter, sharpershooter,  sharpestshooter.
Current Occupation: Starforce captain who can shoot a man's  fishsticks out of his mouth at 500m with one eye closed!
Wow, that guy can shoot fishsticks out of a guy's mouth! fishsticks! fishsticks! Woo!
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.