Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why are boogeymen so overpowerd?  (Read 2675 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are boogeymen so overpowerd?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 04:50:55 pm »

But it's civilization that feeds the fear. Would you be vulnerable to boogeymen if everyone weren't telling you to fear them? If it weren't 'conventional wisdom' to fear the night?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 06:55:30 pm »

look they punch elves out of trees if you decide to sleep with them.
they might have a professional skill in climbing.
like either the elves all companions to each other to avoid getting killed up until you show up and ruin that plan.
or they have to constantly fight bogeymen every night.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 07:00:32 pm »

look they punch elves out of trees if you decide to sleep with them.
Yes? And how many z-levels up do elves sleep?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 07:24:42 pm »

From 1 to ~7 or 8, but generally not higher than 5 off the ground.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 08:40:28 pm »

You're missing what I'm telling you works and why. I've been woken in the trees by their cackling, waited awhile, and then went back to sleep. Follow me on this:

1. Boogeymen don't spawn in the trees. If they fly, they spawn a few zlvls up, otherwise they spawn on the ground.
2. Boogeymen can't see through obstructions. Enemies can't see through more than 3 zlvls of leaves, and the more directly you are above or beneath them, the more all levels of leaves between you and it will obstruct its view. You can stand right over or beneath a hostile and hold a civil conversation with one, so long as you or it doesn't come closer. Obviously this doesn't work with denuded trees or saguaros.
3. Boogeymen only teleport to your location if you're outside of all of their radii. When they do teleport to you, it will be at your zlevel, so you can give yourself away by moving.

Elves may sleep on multiple levels, but there's always some sleeping in the lowest branches, which gives them away and in turn exposes the ones on higher levels to boogeymen.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 09:51:00 pm »

You're missing what I'm telling you works and why. I've been woken in the trees by their cackling, waited awhile, and then went back to sleep. Follow me on this:

1. Boogeymen don't spawn in the trees. If they fly, they spawn a few zlvls up, otherwise they spawn on the ground.
2. Boogeymen can't see through obstructions. Enemies can't see through more than 3 zlvls of leaves, and the more directly you are above or beneath them, the more all levels of leaves between you and it will obstruct its view. You can stand right over or beneath a hostile and hold a civil conversation with one, so long as you or it doesn't come closer. Obviously this doesn't work with denuded trees or saguaros.
3. Boogeymen only teleport to your location if you're outside of all of their radii. When they do teleport to you, it will be at your zlevel, so you can give yourself away by moving.

Elves may sleep on multiple levels, but there's always some sleeping in the lowest branches, which gives them away and in turn exposes the ones on higher levels to boogeymen.
that last one, bogeymen don't teleport more so they die/vaporized if they aren't near you, and the cackling spawns in more in the area.
so you're dealing with fresh new bogeymen each time than the same bogeyman constantly warping to your location.
legends mode will bring up bogeymen vanishing if you talk to and then nickname bogey once they die they pop up in legend mode.

"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 11:49:19 pm »

Rumrusher: figuring out weird shit like being able to nickname bogeymen and impregnate yourself as a cat since 40d or earlier.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 12:02:27 am »

A small tip for dealing with bogeyman as a new adventurer, or even an old one: Since they're so small you can charge attack any who get close to you and they will always be knocked down unless they dodge (which they rarely do). This, combined with quick attacks and moving away at something slower than a sprint is a very effective way to kite till dawn. Though like everything it still has its risks.

Personally speaking, I just make sure the world doesnt generate any. They don't add anything to the game and are really just a waste of time.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2015, 12:10:50 am »

I got lucky this playthrough in that I didn't I didn't run into any until after I'd survived worse. Not that I didn't stay always prepared for them. They do add to the game; they're part of the difficulty until you figure them out, then they aren't. If you can't outsmart the game, then the whole game is overpowered to you, isn't it?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2015, 02:11:51 am »

they add in at least a new way to summon stuff into the game for the adventurer, and with some mods customization you could try your luck in the cackling to fish out a unique companion if you make a mod where a rare bogeyman that grants you an interaction that allows you to remove the bogeyman token off them allowing them to survive the night when the a cackling ends.

oh wait this a buffbird.

they made NOFEAR have a use outside of making certain creatures not backdown and run away.

That said the new stuff I found about them is just stuff to avoid them easily(thinking up a poem during the cackling) or stuff that gives you immunity to being targeted(Spiders dancing the night away) which by that point folks already modded them out and cursed their name.
so uhh yeah they just open up to new creature type for adventure mode modding, and that's just if you're me and want to try Bogeymancy mastery of things that go bump in the night.
wait do anyone know the token for Night trolls I have a hunch that retiring an Night troll would cause that NT adventurer to go out and convert a spouse thus solving the family need everyone seem to have issues with.
oh yeah your character will have deep emotional sorrow seeing a bogieman poof if you check your emotion menu while talking to someone.
edit: wait it's been 5+ years since bogeymen and night trolls  existed in dwarf fortress!?
oh god
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 02:20:00 am by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 [2]