Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How Do I Get On Santa's Bad Side?  (Read 4465 times)

JustMercy1994

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How Do I Get On Santa's Bad Side?
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:40:24 pm »

Because I require coal and flux to forge steel, if I am reading the wiki correctly. And even sites with multiple surface and deep metals, as well as flux stone don't seem to often have coal.

So how do I piss Santa off in Dwarf Fortress, so as to acquire his extremely useful gift of coal?

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Do I Get On Santa's Bad Side?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:47:21 pm »

If you aren't able to provoke an influx of coal out of sheer naughtiness, you might consider building a Wood Furnace in the workshops menu to burn wood to make your own. :)

-nomad_delta

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 04:13:43 pm »

And if you're on a treeless biome, dwarves caravans are a great source of wood. Just max the sliders on all types of wood during the trade agreement.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JustMercy1994

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 08:11:00 pm »

But charcoal isn't coal D: I need coal to make steel, right?

Edit: Too much eggnog. Clearly, this joke wasn't well thought out. Is bituminous coal required for steel production?

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 08:16:39 pm »

Nope, it just needs a source of carbon.  Charcoal from burning wood will do just fine.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 08:24:49 pm »

Refined coal is coal or charcoal bars. Bituminous coal and lignite are "ores" of coal. Burnt wood is charcoal. Neither wood or coal ore can be used as fuel; the two different fuels are exchangeable, identical in all but name.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 08:29:10 pm »

I believe the game distinguishes the two as coke (made from lignite and bituminous coal) and charcoal (made from wood burning).

They're treated identically when it comes to any sort of fuel industry being both the carbon requirement and fuel requirement for steel production.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 08:34:04 pm »

...did I ninja you? Because I just said that.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

JustMercy1994

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 08:35:48 pm »

Everyone calm down ;-; Be nice.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 09:27:11 pm »

I'm looking at Steel and it seems pretty clear you can use either coke or charcoal.  I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from.  Nevertheless, the amount of wood you can get from the new mult-tile trees is truly staggering, and maybe should be mentioned more prominently.  I never understood the fascination with lignite and bituminous coal....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 06:49:00 pm »

I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from.

I think the in-game cancellation notice is a little more obtuse, saying that it needs "refined coal" which could be the source of the misunderstanding.

JustMercy1994

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 09:42:57 pm »

I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from.

I think the in-game cancellation notice is a little more obtuse, saying that it needs "refined coal" which could be the source of the misunderstanding.
Yes, this is exactly it. Thank you. But it seems charcoal in bins were bugged, as referenced by other posts. So we didn't actually require any "refined coal" at all. Santa is useless in DF.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 12:44:19 pm »

The presence of absence of bin-bugs is not clear at this point.  There were some, in older releases, for certain items.  I don't know if there still are, or if the older bugs affected coal specifically.

In any case,
  • Bin bugs are irrelevant if your real issue was that you didn't know you can use charcoal for steel.
  • Storing your charcoal/coke bars in bins is not necessary, nor even necessarily a good idea.
Personally, I store all of my forge-stuff in a minecart quantum stockpile.  The amount of real estate it takes to store ore stones without one is absolutely ludicrous in an underground fortress, not to mention the time it would take to haul one from the back of the ore-scape to the smelter (and wheelbarrows are not used to move things to a workshop -- it's hauled by hand).  So, I put all of my ore stones, metal bars, coke/charcoal bars, and bags of sand in a QSP.  If that makes me a filthy cheater, so be it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 02:40:29 pm »

If that makes me a filthy cheater, so be it.
It doesn't. I see quantum stockpiles as a placeholder bug for whatever solves the storing problem. It doesn't make sense to lay out items in neat rows along the floor, especially stuff like charcoal. Until heaps are implemented, we're stuck with either rather large stockpiles or quantum stockpiles.

Skully

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs more Cthulu. And foxes. Always more foxes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 03:02:35 am »

*REALIZES IT'S CHRISTMAS* :O
*facedesk* how am I so oblivious?
Pages: [1] 2