Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 61564 times)

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The idea here is to take a vanilla copy of Dwarf Fortress, wipe the raws and templates down to nothing, and then build it back up by hand into an entirely player made universe. A player made universe of new creatures and mechanics, and untold possibilities. As players you've wrought your madness on the world in fortresses, but now you can bring it onto the fabric of reality itself.

A modding (or more like world-building) succession with stories of an emerging reality in between.

Once enough people are interested we can decide to begin.

It would help if you're interested to declare whether you would like a turn as a modder, a player, or both.

How to play:
- First of all, feel free to just enjoy the mod without having anything to do with this thread. If you like to contribute:
- You may sign up for a modding turn, share a player story, or just contribute from the sidelines. Modding turns consist of developing the world, adding any creatures, materials, entities and so on that you see fit.
- Modding turns take one week (plus 1 week of bugfixing duty for modding turn). Player stories can be as long or as short as you like.
- Feel free to start a player report anytime after the mod is uploaded, and please give feedback. Your contribution is as important as the modding turns. If it's a detailed report with some play time, I will add it to this first post. If there are several I'll edit the table to contain them all. Reports from older versions are welcome too and may help us improve the new version still.
- Mod turns go in order. First, you have 1 week to make your additions. Then, upload your work. Your bugfixing turn starts immediately. At the same time, the next modder may start adding on his work. Please only sign up for a full modding turn if you are relatively competent at this and can contribute more than just a little content in one week.

Turns:
#Modders:
1Urdothor - Urdothor, Modder has created Bistök-udos Geshud Kes, a community mod. It menaces with spikes of code.
2Bearskie - Turn over
3Eritzap - Eritzap has been missing for several days now
4Cerapter - Cerapter cancels Mod Game: interrupted by combat
~Short term Moderator Turn
5Baffler - Turn Over
6Urdothor(redux) - Current Turn
7Trainzack
8chaotic skies
9Dorsidwarf
10hawkwing
11Lord_lemonpie
12Dwarf4Explosives
13DolosusDoleus
14Untrustedlife
15Cerapter (redux)
16Bearskie (redux)
17Baffler (redux)
People who I am uncertain whether they wish to mod or not are italicized for the moment.

We'll do player turns based on a first come, first serve basis. Whoever wants a turn just download the most recent copy and start reporting. We'll leave a player pool here to keep track of interested parties.
Spoiler: Player Pool (click to show/hide)

Installation:

1. Create a fresh second copy of Dwarf Fortress (This is so you don't lose other mods you have installed if you also want to play DFFS3)
2. Delete the raw file from the copy
3. Drag the raw file and data file over to the copy and allow it to overwrite
4. Enjoy

DFFS is also compatible with vanilla and most mods. If you wish to play it with vanilla complete only step 3.

Spoiler: Mod turn proceedings (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contribution advice (click to show/hide)

Proposed & Accepted ideas, as well as poll results, will be presented in the spoiler below for those who would've missed the discussions on them. If you have a comment regarding and idea, please feel free to do so.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

New palette for those who are modding:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Baffler's turn has passed. Now it's Urdothors

Here's a wiki that chaotic skies made for us
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:35:57 pm by Urdothor »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 07:32:24 am »

I don't mind, but we'll have to see if this one gets enough interest to sustain itself.

Shame the last one didn't really pan out. I thought the sci-fi/fantasy split was a good idea, but it may have thinned the contributions somewhat. Let's stick to one major theme this time around, if we're doing it.

Eritzap

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 09:27:13 am »

I'm interested in taking part in this, sounds like fun. :)

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:05:59 pm »

I don't mind, but we'll have to see if this one gets enough interest to sustain itself.

Shame the last one didn't really pan out. I thought the sci-fi/fantasy split was a good idea, but it may have thinned the contributions somewhat. Let's stick to one major theme this time around, if we're doing it.
I think once it get's going interest will increase a bit more.

I was thinking one theme might be nice, but wasn't sure what it should be. Once there are enough ideas, I'll see if I remember how to make a poll.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 01:58:20 pm »

Over in Forum Games and Roleplaying, spiderking is running a game called The Modding God Game that's very similar to this.
The difference being that the players don't need to do the modding work- the GM does it for them and the end result should be a playable DF mod.

I think most players of Dwarf Fortress don't really want to take the time to mod it- but I also think most players of dwarf fortress would love to have their mod suggestions implemented by someone skilled.
~~~
That said, this might be more interesting than that. So good luck.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 03:48:14 pm »

Finally, it is back, sorta!
I'm definitely joining this if it starts.

And as for theme, I think something around the base-game's level would be fine. In technological level, I mean. My only problem with futuristic stuff is that the game doesn't really lend itself well to it. But I guess if people want futuristic stuff, then that's what we do.

Alternatively, theme could be technology vs. magic. Conflicts arise between nations and people as the magic slowly disappears from the world and as technology slowly replaces or outpaces most magical spells.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 06:03:44 pm »

Awesome to see someone have another go at this!

My health will probably prevent me from contributing too greatly to this, but I'd be happy to help, here and there. If nothing else, I might be able to mod random creatures so they're not random, but in-line with the world.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 07:27:25 pm »

Over in Forum Games and Roleplaying, spiderking is running a game called The Modding God Game that's very similar to this.
The difference being that the players don't need to do the modding work- the GM does it for them and the end result should be a playable DF mod.

I think most players of Dwarf Fortress don't really want to take the time to mod it- but I also think most players of dwarf fortress would love to have their mod suggestions implemented by someone skilled.
~~~
That said, this might be more interesting than that. So good luck.

I had no idea someone was doing something like this, outside of the two previous incarnations of this game I mentioned. Spiderkings thing looks fun though.

Awesome to see someone have another go at this!

My health will probably prevent me from contributing too greatly to this, but I'd be happy to help, here and there. If nothing else, I might be able to mod random creatures so they're not random, but in-line with the world.
Finally, it is back, sorta!
I'm definitely joining this if it starts.

And as for theme, I think something around the base-game's level would be fine. In technological level, I mean. My only problem with futuristic stuff is that the game doesn't really lend itself well to it. But I guess if people want futuristic stuff, then that's what we do.

Alternatively, theme could be technology vs. magic. Conflicts arise between nations and people as the magic slowly disappears from the world and as technology slowly replaces or outpaces most magical spells.

Thanks for the support. I know a lot of people enjoyed it before, so I wanted to take a stab at getting it going.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 09:23:45 am »

Shadowrun.

FUCK YEAH LET'S DO THIS.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 10:32:00 am »

Shadowrun.

FUCK YEAH LET'S DO THIS.
I wasn't trying to reference anything, but sure, uh, whatever!
Pssst... guys... what's a "Shadowrun"?
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 12:46:14 pm »

I'll grab a modding turn, sure. I've added plenty of buildings and reactions, but I've not done much with creatures. This seems like a good opportunity to jump in.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 01:50:15 pm »

Alright, all those who've already declared they want a turn, are you interested in modding, or playing? For the sake of simplicity, I'll assume modding for everyone.

I'll start putting all our basics together today, and play testing them.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 01:55:53 pm by Urdothor »

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 05:28:33 pm »

Obviously modding.

In fact, if I recall correctly, there were always fewer players than modders.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 05:57:32 pm »

In the original it briefly swapped, I believe. Doesn't matter much though.

All that's needed from the original appears to be something to shut up random creatures from being created (Edited Halfling's original file) and a file of standard gaits of different kinds, which I'll fill in. Otherwise, everything else can be made from scratch, and I'll leave some basic template behind for anyone who wants a base.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 06:02:29 pm »

Also, there are currently five people signed up but divided into four turns :P

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42