Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 61929 times)

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 06:16:53 pm »

Oops...

I don't forum very well if you can' t tell.

I was thinking an interesting theme for the world might be something along the lines of a world eating interdimensional parasite coming to the plane to devour everything, and being met by previous inhabitants safeguards(like, guardians and things) while the current inhabitants are caught in between.

Magic vs. technology would also be very fun as well.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 06:24:40 pm »

Magic vs. technology would also be very fun as well.
Or, for that matter, Magic vs. science. You'd have simple, seemingly impossible creatures that simply don't bother with all the niceties of physics and complex, realistic creatures that do. It would also provide another option for the random beasts: Simply leaving them in, as personifications of Chaos.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2015, 06:26:07 pm »

From the way I understand it they'll still use vanilla materials and templates. At least, that's how I understood it to be in the previous attempts at this.

Edit: And the occasional duck megabeast...

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 06:29:40 pm »

From the way I understand it they'll still use vanilla materials and templates. At least, that's how I understood it to be in the previous attempts at this.

Edit: And the occasional duck megabeast...
It's possible, however, with a wee bit of hex-editing, to replace all random beasts with creatures in line with the universe. They won't be random, but they won't stick out like a sore thumb, either.
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2015, 06:32:50 pm »

The RCP stuff from vanilla refers to vanilla tissues bodies and materials. What's worse is that it assigns the creatures the same attributes, interactions and tokens according to a particular design and you can only change that by editing the DF executable. That's possible, but we don't have enough stuff of our own to make beasts yet. So as it is bringing them in would make it completely not "from scratch".
it of hex-editing, to replace all random beasts with creatures in line with the universe. They won't be random, but they won't stick out like a sore thumb, either.

We can discuss it at a later time once we fill out the world beyond a few basic creatures. Once the world can handle random beasts.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2015, 06:34:51 pm »

Speaking of more in-depth editing, could we do graphics pack for the mod too?
Not saying that we definitely would, but asking if we could if we ever would.

I mean, since we're doing everything from scratch, most letters wouldn't match the players' expectations, anyway.

...We could also slap in the now-updated DFhack too later on, though I never used it.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2015, 06:38:10 pm »

It's back? It's back! I've read the first thread and it was glorious. Puke plants and murder squids.
One tip from a potential player's perspective:
Boring creatures are necessary. The first DF from scratch had that problem. There were like 3 non-homicidal animals. Killer squids and petrifying bugs are cool, but it's not fun when every wave of wildlife is just as threatening as a siege of bad guys.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 06:49:26 pm »

It's back? It's back! I've read the first thread and it was glorious. Puke plants and murder squids.
Boring creatures are necessary. The first DF from scratch had that problem. There were like 3 non-homicidal animals. Killer squids and petrifying bugs are cool, but it's not fun when every wave of wildlife is just as threatening as a siege of bad guys.
Do not listen to the ramblings of this madman!
In this world, it's be killed or BE killed!

...Yeah, but seriously. Even the second one had a similar problem.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2015, 06:51:22 pm »

Speaking of more in-depth editing, could we do graphics pack for the mod too?
Not saying that we definitely would, but asking if we could if we ever would.

I mean, since we're doing everything from scratch, most letters wouldn't match the players' expectations, anyway.

...We could also slap in the now-updated DFhack too later on, though I never used it.
Graphics pack? Sure. I have some experience making graphics from Minecraft so if someone wants graphics I could give it a shot.
I suppose we should make sure the default ASCII look is up to snuff first though.

I've never actually used DFhack to be honest, so I'm not sure how best to utilise it.

I intend to fill it with interesting, but nonlethal, critters and plants.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2015, 07:55:11 pm »

Small update from the God Forge

The gods of old were masters of their craft, effortlessly pulling forth their masterful creations from the void. The gods of this plane are much younger, inexperienced, and unsure of themselves. They too pull their creations from the planes of nothingness, but the process is more taxing, and takes many hours for even the simplest of creations, and often drains the gods of their energy. The newest god, the first one to shape this plane, now looks out upon his first creation. Before him stretches an endless plain of hardened rock and soft earth, dotted by patches of lush green grass. This god smiles upon his creation, exhausted, but knows there's still much work left to be done.

Basic stone. Basic earth. Basic grass.
Well... there's no fire yet. That's a good sign right?

Edit: What kind of creature should the starting race be?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 07:57:08 pm by Urdothor »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 08:15:20 pm »

The gods of old were masters of their craft, effortlessly pulling forth their masterful creations from the void. The gods of this plane are much younger, inexperienced, and unsure of themselves. They too pull their creations from the planes of nothingness, but the process is more taxing, and takes many hours for even the simplest of creations, and often drains the gods of their energy. The newest god, the first one to shape this plane, now looks out upon his first creation. Before him stretches an endless plain of hardened rock and soft earth, dotted by patches of lush green grass. This god smiles upon his creation, exhausted, but knows there's still much work left to be done.

Er, what the heck, how about they look like semi-colons? They'd be monocular, with spherical eye-cum-heads. Their "necks" are a bunch of reasonably tough organic wires, and their torsos end in stingers. They lack legs, and have one free-floating appendage, extending from the tip of the torso (with the other wires,) which ends in a clam-like claw. Their hide is like organic chainmail (though not as strong, obviously.) They come in a variety of colors, but never green. Their glass-like stingers inject a poison which slows its victim down. They have six castes. Male, female, genderless, male worker, female worker, and genderless workers. The genderless castes cannot breed, and are emotionless. The worker castes are twice as athletic, fertile, etc, but have half the lifespan of the other castes.

How's that sound?

EDIT: I suppose that for speech, they vibrate their bodies to produce the sounds.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 08:17:50 pm by Urlance Woolsbane »
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2015, 08:17:25 pm »

Er, what the heck, how about they look like semi-colons? They'd be monocular, with spherical eye-cum-heads. Their "necks" are a bunch of reasonably tough organic wires, and their torsos end in stingers. They lack legs, and have one free-floating appendage, extending from the tip of the torso (with the other wires,) which ends in a clam-like claw. Their hide is like organic chainmail (though not as strong, obviously.) They come in a variety of colors, but never green. Their glass-like stingers inject a poison which slows its victim down. They have six castes. Male, female, genderless, male worker, female worker, and genderless workers. The genderless castes cannot breed, and are emotionless. The worker castes are twice as athletic, fertile, etc, but have half the lifespan of the other castes.

How's that sound?

EDIT: I suppose that for speech, they vibrate their bodies to produce the sounds.
It sounds reasonably insane.

When I say reasonably insane, I mean it sounds reasonable, if a tad insane. If a more popular idea doesn't spring up, we'll use that.
That actually fits really well into my world devouring interdimensional beings idea.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 01:00:21 am by Urdothor »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2015, 02:10:13 am »

I've got a rough idea for a water troll entity I'm planning in my turn. They would very small on land (<20000), which makes them even worse in combat than halflings. The catch is that when they step onto a tile with water, they quadruple in size, strength, agility, etc, and gain a bunch of water spells.

Since Fort mode still doesn't allow water-based pathing, it'll be interesting to see how players adapt to the water troll's fragility without water. Either choose to regularly shower your fort, design a fort where 1/7 water is the norm, or choose to hydrate them only in battle. They would also be very much at home with elaborate drowning traps.

Just my two-cents worth.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2015, 02:11:24 am »

I'm curious as to how you would accomplish that... Have you some mystical knowledge I lack?
If so, may I borrow it?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2015, 02:16:18 am »

I plan on using an interaction with [CDI:LOCATION_HINT:IN_WATER].

Interactions aren't really casted regularly now outside of combat, so yeah, it'll have to be combat buffs only.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42