Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 61584 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #390 on: January 23, 2016, 03:37:23 pm »

I like the emergent stories already.

Also the phoenixes in the arena are going hammer and tongs at each other while killing everything around them with flame aura. They both have each other grappled and are snapping bone after bone.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 23, 2016, 03:41:35 pm »

I like the emergent stories already.

Also the phoenixes in the arena are going hammer and tongs at each other while killing everything around them with flame aura. They both have each other grappled and are snapping bone after bone.
They're eventually going to have more attacks with precedence over fire, but they were put in early.

Plus, they ARE megabeasts, so.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 03:43:57 pm by Urdothor »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 23, 2016, 04:09:45 pm »

Hmm...we need more...Violence, in this world. I might make some very...."dangerous" animals soon. I will still call them my Fun pets, though.

Anyway, an animal that explodes when it dies sounds interesting...
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 23, 2016, 04:16:35 pm »

Hmm...we need more...Violence, in this world. I might make some very...."dangerous" animals soon. I will still call them my Fun pets, though.

Anyway, an animal that explodes when it dies sounds interesting...

Well, I'm going to add the antagonist species soon, so that'll be plenty violent. And then hopefully some benign stuff. Because a world entirely full of death isn't fun.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 23, 2016, 07:26:05 pm »

I'd like to note that, in real life, breaking bones may be less painful than minor cuts due to the reduced number of pain receptors that deep.

I find it depends on the person, and how it's broken. When I break bones, I feel nothing at all really. Some people break bones and they're down for the count, so to speak.

I'm not a doctor or anything, but I vaguely remember someone saying something about breaking bones doing a lot of damage to surrounding tissue that does have lots of pain receptors (with shards, fragments, blunt trauma, etc.) and vanilla bone has such high pain modifiers to model that.

Argh, not real life again.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 23, 2016, 07:31:11 pm »

I'd like to note that, in real life, breaking bones may be less painful than minor cuts due to the reduced number of pain receptors that deep.

I find it depends on the person, and how it's broken. When I break bones, I feel nothing at all really. Some people break bones and they're down for the count, so to speak.

I'm not a doctor or anything, but I vaguely remember someone saying something about breaking bones doing a lot of damage to surrounding tissue that does have lots of pain receptors (with shards, fragments, blunt trauma, etc.) and vanilla bone has such high pain modifiers to model that.

Lets set all pain values to negative one so everyone gains euphoria from punches.  :P

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 23, 2016, 07:51:46 pm »

Lets set all pain values to negative one so everyone gains euphoria from punches.  :P

Urist McSuicidal cancels productivity: beating himself to death.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 23, 2016, 08:48:34 pm »

You know, would it actually be a bit too late to be put on the modder list instead?

I actually do know a bit about creature modding.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 23, 2016, 09:28:19 pm »

!!ENTITY IDEA!!

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 23, 2016, 10:33:03 pm »

Urist McSuicidal cancels productivity: beating himself to death.

1: Sigged, 2: This made me laugh way too hard.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 23, 2016, 10:54:44 pm »

Alright, I picked up the RAW's. For accountability purposes my goals, in order of priority, are:

1) Plants. This isn't Earth, so some of these should be quite alien, but I'll try to keep them on general themes. I like how different from vanilla it looks already, and more of that can only be good.

2) Animals. I probably won't get a lot of these in, creatures aren't my strong suit, but I have at a few in mind.

3) Entity. They aren't intended to be playable, but they should make the game more interesting. I'm not sure if I'll have time to get to them or not, but I have the concept figured out so if I have a chance I'll put them in. There would be two entities with the same creature, one of whom is friendly and trades with you, while the other has close ties with some of the more organized invaders. The first one would have very middle of the road, moral relativist type ethics to minimize conflict, and have some unique stuff to sell you. The other would basically be more dangerous kobolds, equipped with a mishmash of mundane equipment and lower-quality "export versions" of invader tech. They'll be thieves/babysnatchers to make them hostile by default, and if they have some success they'll send an ambush.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:57:32 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 24, 2016, 12:22:40 am »

Alright, just finished work on some new trees, but I'm going to make sure the game doesn't implode when they're added first.

Basically, it's a tree made out of Gargon (the really dense and heavy metal). I was going to make ironwood trees, but then I remembered we don't have iron. So this is what I ended up with.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 24, 2016, 03:44:28 am »

Alright, I picked up the RAW's. For accountability purposes my goals, in order of priority, are:

1) Plants. This isn't Earth, so some of these should be quite alien, but I'll try to keep them on general themes. I like how different from vanilla it looks already, and more of that can only be good.

I'll be sending you fixes shortly.

Edit: Reducing pain receptors, thickening internals not used in attacks so hopefully things get gored less. Everything is a little below vanilla values in regards to pain receptors.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:04:56 am by Urdothor »

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 24, 2016, 05:16:30 am »

Well, that healed faster than I expected. I'm back in business, baby! Except that my lip has swollen and it's a pain in the ass to eat anything. But other than that, I'm a-okay.

I think I'll try playing fortress mode or something, because we hadn't had a playthrough yet, right? Though I'm absolutely horrible at vanilla fortress mode too, but oh well.

Which one's more playable in fortress mode, water trolls or them mantises?

(I might just play adventurer in the end, though :P)
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 24, 2016, 05:31:10 am »

Well, that healed faster than I expected. I'm back in business, baby! Except that my lip has swollen and it's a pain in the ass to eat anything. But other than that, I'm a-okay.

I think I'll try playing fortress mode or something, because we hadn't had a playthrough yet, right? Though I'm absolutely horrible at vanilla fortress mode too, but oh well.

Which one's more playable in fortress mode, water trolls or them mantises?

(I might just play adventurer in the end, though :P)

We have not had a fortress mode play through that's been posted, that's correct. Also, would you like to be marked down for a second turn then?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42