Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.04 Released  (Read 29523 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.04 Released
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2015, 06:32:53 am »

Great work Toady!

Noticed a typo in RHINOCEROS_MAN: [DESCRIPTION:A person with the head and horns a rhinoceros.]
Also, same lack of "of" in GIRAFFE_MAN description.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:34:25 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2015, 02:35:42 pm »

Has anyone else noticed goblins showing up for a siege and then immediately leaving without attacking? It's happened a couple times where I'll get the warning, prepare my burrow and alarm, activate it, and unpause. But they're just... gone. This time one goblin snatcher did try to make it into the base but all the soldiers that were previously at the edge of the map had disappeared.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 02:46:53 pm »

Has anyone else noticed goblins showing up for a siege and then immediately leaving without attacking? It's happened a couple times where I'll get the warning, prepare my burrow and alarm, activate it, and unpause. But they're just... gone. This time one goblin snatcher did try to make it into the base but all the soldiers that were previously at the edge of the map had disappeared.
Several such reports around:
...I got two sieges in 0.42.01 but the problem is that in both case, the sieging army exited the map immediately when i unpaused without even moving inside of it...
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2015, 03:51:12 pm »

Major bug fixes
   (*) Made retire store away merchants and diplomats and not mark visitors and residents as hostile

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Removed trade goods from retired sites if living merchant is still present

In my 42.03 reclaimed fort, I have loads of items lying around that show red in the stocks list, and cannot be stockpiles, dumped, or used.  Is that what this bug fix is refering to, and if so, will upgrading fix the existing items?

...I got two sieges in 0.42.01 but the problem is that in both case, the sieging army exited the map immediately when i unpaused without even moving inside of it...

In my 42.03 fort, my first siege consisted of (several) goblins, but all but two ran off instantly.
My second siege consisted of over 100 goblins, and destroyed m fort (due to a botched sortie).

On my reclaim, I've had three sieges so far.  the first two consisted of several wrestler goblins (who ran off instantly) and two marksgoblins (who stayed around long enough for my militia to kill them).  The third consisted of several marksgoblins (I locked down and waited for them to leave).  In cases (in the reclaimed fort) the gobbos stayed at the edge of the map where they entered, even though I had the gates open a long time.

I haven't upgraded to 42.04 yet, so I don't know if there is any change to how they behave.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2015, 04:10:46 pm »

Major bug fixes
   (*) Made retire store away merchants and diplomats and not mark visitors and residents as hostile

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Removed trade goods from retired sites if living merchant is still present

In my 42.03 reclaimed fort, I have loads of items lying around that show red in the stocks list, and cannot be stockpiles, dumped, or used.  Is that what this bug fix is refering to, and if so, will upgrading fix the existing items?

In my 42.03 fort, my first siege consisted of (several) goblins, but all but two ran off instantly.
My second siege consisted of over 100 goblins, and destroyed m fort (due to a botched sortie).

On my reclaim, I've had three sieges so far.  the first two consisted of several wrestler goblins (who ran off instantly) and two marksgoblins (who stayed around long enough for my militia to kill them).  The third consisted of several marksgoblins (I locked down and waited for them to leave).  In cases (in the reclaimed fort) the gobbos stayed at the edge of the map where they entered, even though I had the gates open a long time.

I haven't upgraded to 42.04 yet, so I don't know if there is any change to how they behave.

Can confirm that it still happens in 42.04. Might be a morale bug, but I can't be sure, since it was a good dozen gobbos that insta-fled this time.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2015, 05:05:08 pm »

Can confirm that it still happens in 42.04. Might be a morale bug, but I can't be sure, since it was a good dozen gobbos that insta-fled this time.
That's a thought - I've just realised the ones that fled were recruits, not wrestlers.  So maybe it is somethign to do with not having enough military skills.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2015, 03:28:05 am »

Made retire store away merchants and diplomats and not mark visitors and residents as hostile

That doesn't seem to have been completely fixed.
I'll upload a save when Mantis is back up, but I just unretired a fortress and there's been an explosion of visitors since I was last there. About half are marked 'hostile'. The rest are chilling with normal guest status. My retired Elephant man adventurer is also not hostile and in my regular citizen list which is nice. Can't add him to a military squad though which is a pity. Made him the new tavern keeper.   

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2016, 08:54:40 am »

My siege progression has been pretty brutal. Though they left me alone a couple of years, I had 20 soldiers come for the first siege. The second and third siege were both maxed out at 120, and on top of that, the third one had like 1/2 human attackers, 1/4 dwarves and 1/4 goblins. Which I'm all happy with, honestly. The fortress created a lot of wealth and I'm glad to be able to passively cull the hostile world population. I got the impression that our civilization isn't doing too hot.

After ~8 years, the number of dwarves starving on trees is still climbing and is now around 20 total. I keep a certain range around my fortress deforested, and that seems to help somewhat. But they still find ways to get stuck in the canopy all over the map.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2016, 08:07:54 pm »

Book binding seems to be a raw deal.  If you make a quire, and someone writes on it, you get an item with a name, with a value of about 50 urists.  Then, if you make a book binding (say, masterwork green glass), you have a second item worth 240 urists.  Then, if you bind them together into a codex, you get an item with no title, worth 40 urists.  (My glasscrafters are much better than my book binders.)  When people read it, it just says they're reading a codex, and you don't even know which one.  Plus, you just lost fortress value.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2016, 04:12:10 am »

Book binding seems to be a raw deal.  If you make a quire, and someone writes on it, you get an item with a name, with a value of about 50 urists.  Then, if you make a book binding (say, masterwork green glass), you have a second item worth 240 urists.  Then, if you bind them together into a codex, you get an item with no title, worth 40 urists.  (My glasscrafters are much better than my book binders.)  When people read it, it just says they're reading a codex, and you don't even know which one.  Plus, you just lost fortress value.
See 9409: Binding a quire into a codex destroys the material definition and value.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2016, 05:17:57 pm »

Small suggestion: in the new [P]etition page in which a visitor asks for residency (or citizenship, apparently, though it hasn't happened to me yet), it would be very helpful if the petitioner's name were followed by his/her profession; that is, instead of seeing a petition from "Spishi Groundgears" I'd see one from "Spishi Groundgears, Human Engineer" or what have you. This would let me know what weapon skills a petitioning soldier had to offer, whether a petitioning entertainer was a bard/musician/dancer/etc., and so on, giving me more information before I made the decision.

Loving the new stuff, keep up the great work!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2016, 05:43:25 pm »

Small suggestion: in the new [P]etition page in which a visitor asks for residency (or citizenship, apparently, though it hasn't happened to me yet), it would be very helpful if the petitioner's name were followed by his/her profession; that is, instead of seeing a petition from "Spishi Groundgears" I'd see one from "Spishi Groundgears, Human Engineer" or what have you. This would let me know what weapon skills a petitioning soldier had to offer, whether a petitioning entertainer was a bard/musician/dancer/etc., and so on, giving me more information before I made the decision.

Loving the new stuff, keep up the great work!
For now, "ESC"aping from "P"etitions screen and finding them in "U"nits works.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 09:51:26 pm »

Suggestions are better in the suggestions forum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=5.0. Once these threads get locked, things in them tend to be forgotten.
(Personally, I'd prefer some kind of zoom-to-unit option myself, in case professions are misleading.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2016, 02:00:56 am »

Quote from: Toady
In this case, the large underground mushrooms were being drawn from too broad a population pool that depended on which sections of map were loaded, and how the caps grew out influenced the map generation algorithms for the forts, sending it down different tracks.
Remember kids, stay away from 'shrooms. :P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 02:02:29 am by Urlance Woolsbane »
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."
Pages: 1 2 [3]