Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: im trying to do a 2D space game...  (Read 4736 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: im trying to do a 2D space game...
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 12:02:29 am »

Sorry about that, I was at mcdonalds and was just trying to help. Give me a bit tomorrow, and I will be able to give you some idea of how Reassembly did it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:34:50 pm by chaotic skies »
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2016, 09:36:08 pm »

Scratch that, Reassembly's designer code is hidden somewhere, and I can't find it. I'm not of much help coding wise either, as I know very little about C#. Sorry :-\

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2016, 04:46:59 pm »

yeah i guess i'll have to can the project for the time being.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 06:16:16 am »

Heya Xaritscin, I made you a thing.

I'll send you a PM with a link to the source, Hope its useful to you and that you can learn a thing or two from it,
Its probably not the best coded thing ever, but it works.

edit: ofcourse after posting this I discover a rather obvious bug :P... the snappoints on the same object are being tested against eachother
its easy enough to fix by doing an extra test in the "CompareSnapPoint" function.

edit2: and aaaaarrgh all the comments I made to clarify the code in the MoveManager haven't saved >.<.... I'll see if I can rectify this soon.

edit3: okay, I fixed the linked files to no longer have the bug and the source contains the comments again.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:27:31 am by Talvara »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 02:59:56 pm »

sorry for not responding, i tried to download the code the first time and i found some issues, im going to analyze it again, had the project canned for the time being. thanks for the source, i hope to find the answer.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 10:15:48 am »

Cool, welcome back. Let me know if any links are broken or you're stuck on something.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 10:43:47 pm »

a little bit of necro but im the owner of the thread anyways.

i may have been thinking on getting around the ship editor these last months. but in the end i think the best way would be to just get over with it and use premade ships.

however, i was thinking on a system similar to that of EVE Online. and have ships with hardpoints from which you can equip modules.

im doing some basic insights on the first faction for the prototype. but i dont have any sprite done atm. i may come to this thread later once i start doing some designs, hopefully i should be able to at least implement that.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2016, 10:55:28 am »

adding a little bit of information regarding the new system:

1. ships are separated on hull class. hull class is defined by their size rather than function. there are at least 4 classes planned atm

-C = the smallest class, used by the general public.
-S = frigates and the like, larger than a civilian vessel
-M = cruisers and the like, larger than frigates
-L = battleships basically, the largest ships atm

2. each hull has a different slot layout, highslots are used for manipulator modules (weapons, tractor beams, mining lasers, EWAR), midslots are used for defense modules (shield, armor, hull), while lowslots are used for utility (everything engineering, electronics, propulsion, etc....)

3. ship hitpoints are divided by shields, armor plates and hull. shield as always can recharge itself over time or can be "boosted" by a command, at the cost of capacitor. armor plates will slow the player but will give a thick protection to the ship which can be enhanced by adding nanites to repair damage overtime. hull is the barebones of a ship, it can be delicate but with the right modules it should be able to be on par with armor or shield at the cost of reducing the amount of slots avaliable for other things (or at the cost of cargo like in EVE).

now the first faction i was planning on working on is called The Rukati. the Rukati is a collective of tribal humans descended from ancient mining corporations that were left stranded after human society collapsed during an event called "The Great Disconnection".

the Rukati roam the galaxy in gigantic fleets composed of fast and cheap to mantain/replace ships, with their base of operations being gigantic megastructures called "Eskafoels", cities built out of the original mobile mining arrays of old.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 12:05:38 pm »

another lore update. while i try to get myself up onto making sprites:

the second faction is called "The Gaian Empire". formed by the remnants of an ancient group of environmentalists. tthe Gaians had developed a religious belief based on communing with the natural world, blaming the Great Disconnection as holy punishment to mankind due to leaving their homeworld in ruins.

due to this, the Gaian Empire has expanded onto the galaxy, terraforming the ancient colonies left by ancient humans in order to bring nature again to them. their main focus is to return onto the Sol System in order to rebuild Earth, or Gaia, as they call it.

the might of the Gaian Empire is focused on their ships. which are composed of complex organic compounds and nanotechnology. making them semiorganic in apperance and behavior. this "living" ships are capable of feats like self repairing and self replication, and being able to digest prime materials in order to fulfill their duties.

its no surprise that Gaian ships also have a strange sense of warfare, relying on close ranged weapons like animals. being able to produce claws and mandibles powerfull enough to crush and perforate even the thickest armor plates. this coupled with nanite based deconstruction means that any enemy that gets a bite from one of these monsters is doomed to see their ship eaten on the spot.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2016, 12:10:23 pm »

also, im thinking on opening this as a collaborative project. if anyone wants to join the cause send me a PM. im not really sure on getting throught this alone, but there may be some people here with the talent to help on programming or sprite design.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2016, 09:52:18 pm »

I am good at neither, but I'm sure I can help find some people if you would like. And I'm always up for giving ideas for lore, or anything else really, if you want. Its up to you, but I'm always up for contributing ideas or testing things or whatever :P

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 09:46:51 pm »

left the lore stuff aside and started to mess around with some other prototypes i had made for college projects. and also some messing with 3D in another project.

i was able to make a main menu screen, its not totally functional but i can say new game and it takes me to the spaceship prototype scene. im thinking on revamping the graphics but im not an artist so this will take time to process.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2017, 04:37:57 pm »

i created an atlas for different star colors. at least 7, ranging from orange to blue and white. i based it in some info i got from the internet. the atlas was succesfully added into the project.

and it worked with the galaxy generator, save for one thing. right now i use a single "star" prefab for this. the idea was to instance the prefab with a different sprite on each iteration while filling the star map. but im coming to issues on calling the sprite array i use to keep the frames. so im not sure what to do.

cant say it wasnt an advance though. im gonna test something else

EDIT:

nevermind, i found what was the problem, in order to load the star atlas i had to have the main image in the Resources folder, it cannot be in a subfolder or otherwise the system wont be able to set the correct size of the arrat (WTF Unity)..

anyways the rest of the code worked, the map was filled with at least 1000 stars on screen, each one with different colors. so i call it a victory.

the star map scene looks nice for now. althought i may have to improve the camera size or something because i couldnt see sh*t by default.

next stop should be solar systems, which means i have to find a way to save all the solar system positions formed at runtime and keeping them for reference when playing or something.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:03:05 pm by xaritscin »

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 12:59:10 am »

When you start on graphics, might I recommend something? Use a program called Inkscape to create SVGs (Scale able Vector Graphics). They (unlike bitmaps) will not lose quality the more you zoom in on them. I'm not sure if you can use them, but if you can, it would make your game look a lot better than if you did it with bitmaps.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2017, 06:16:05 am »

BTW I'm a Unity dev, I just completed two years of a game dev degree mostly using Unity. if you need any help or advice on where to look for how to do different things, then I think I could help out, or at least point you at the right information.
Pages: 1 2 [3]