Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cliffs of Hilarity  (Read 1662 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Cliffs of Hilarity
« on: December 31, 2015, 12:12:50 am »

Soo...I did what the newb guide said, picked no aquifer, etc.
And then this happens:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I doubt this is surprising to everyone, but I found it entertaining that what the newb guide describes as a "perfect sight" also happens to have a 14 level deep cliff, with a river at the bottom.

And now, I get to enjoy building lots of bridges between my three fortress-island things, since the river splits!
(Yes I know about flying creatures. I don't expect to last long enough that I have to deal with them, but you never know ;)

Edit: Fixed images
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:45:11 am by chaotic skies »
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cliffs of Hilarity
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 02:01:06 am »

I'm presuming there's supposed to be images there? I'm not seeing them. ??
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 04:13:42 am »

yeah, sadly your pics didn't load.
When you pick a site you need to check each biome in the area because its possible that even though you're looking at a region that didn't show as an aquafier in the search that doesn't mean that all biomes in that region don't have one.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 05:30:55 am »

Soo...I did what the newb guide said, picked no aquifer, etc.
And then this happens:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I doubt this is surprising to everyone, but I found it entertaining that what the newb guide describes as a "perfect sight" also happens to have a 14 level deep cliff, with a river at the bottom.

And now, I get to enjoy building lots of bridges between my three fortress-island things, since the river splits!
(Yes I know about flying creatures. I don't expect to last long enough that I have to deal with them, but you never know ;)

I think you forgot to put .png on the image URL.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 08:56:20 am »

I've had similar. Two rivers coming together in a pair of >10 Z-level waterfalls before joining into one.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 09:02:08 am »

Ah, there's the pic.  And yeah, hands down one of my favorite geological features is when a river cuts through a major mountain, going from elevation 7+ to 0-2 in the space of like 3 tiles.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 10:46:30 am »

Yeah I'm pretty sure this one's just a shear cliff from -14 all the way up to 0, so it's pretty steep...Just hope no one falls off!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 10:53:12 am »

Both pictures in the quote are the exact same pic, but that beside the point.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 11:09:04 am »

Cliffs aren't that dangerous in DF, and can actually make an embark safer because they provide natural walls.

It's a fairly common embark type, especially if you look for it. I rather like them also.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 11:15:14 am by mirrizin »

azeroth2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 11:33:33 am »

Yea... No surprise in there about the cliffs... it does say your cliffs are an 11 (*) out of 10 on a scale that goes to 12. (0 index adjusted to 1)

If there's one update I'd like to see to world gen, it's rivers changing z-levels as they carve through a map -- something more than just deep gorges.  Also?  Some erosion on the soil layers at the top of gorges would also be neat.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 11:58:48 am »

Never actually used the guide before, but I personally would never embark there unless looking for smething VERY VERY different. I play as a dwarf but my heart tells me elf.. sigh

Typically I look for a 3x3 flat land with or without a river
Code: [Select]
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 01:36:56 pm »

I know cliffs can make it easier- "Hey, Free Walls!" and all that, but I just thought it would be fun to build bridges across the gorge. Also, with a river right next to my fort, I can experiment with water to figure out wtf is going on there (totally not trying to build dwarf-lantis...)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 04:20:30 pm »

Tbh, this kind of embark is my 100% absolute favorite. I've done two of these in a row. So many interesting architecture options, in the mesas and around/on top of them. The cliff sides *generally* don't need to be fortified (as long as nothing has any reason to climb there - I've had problems with zombies raging up from a frozen river onto bridges above), and the steep-ish-but-not-cliff sides only need minimal fortifications. After that, you have some nice terrain that you can landscape safely or use the existing fruit trees from, build paths around - a very pleasant place, in general. Or you could go the route of building a castle on top of it; that works too, and is more practical. (Ish. Building a castle inside the mesa, with valuable trees on top, works just as well.) The nicest thing is that, as long as the water is frozen and deep enough, your map is quarantined into multiple sections, so you can deal with non-aquatic, non-flying threats one at a time.

Plus, as the OP stated, bridges are fun.

(And !!fun!!)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 08:11:35 pm »

Na bridges aren't too !FUN!, I just set the entire bridge to a restricted area before closing it. Burrows would porbably work. Nice to fling/drop zombies or other annoying creatures with too, but they'd have already infiltrated the fort pretty much completely by that point though, and then it would be damage controle. The only !FUN! part is going to be idiot dwarves falling to their dooms. Now to deal with that stupid Possesed Weaver...

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 10:31:48 pm »

I know cliffs can make it easier- "Hey, Free Walls!" and all that, but I just thought it would be fun to build bridges across the gorge. Also, with a river right next to my fort, I can experiment with water to figure out wtf is going on there (totally not trying to build dwarf-lantis...)
That's the spirit!