Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Winning. Is. BORING.  (Read 14475 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Winning. Is. BORING.
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2015, 08:28:54 pm »

That's the situation we have right now. People complain about it because they want to get challenges delivered to their doorstop, complete with goblinite, instead of deciding what they want to do and embarking/setting options accordingly.

People are saying 'embark somewhere without enemies if you want to turtle'.  But it's also just as valid to say 'embark somewhere near necro towers and goblins if you want constant sieges'.  Players who pick bad embark locations for what they want aren't a reason to change the base game.

That sounds great, except it doesn't work! I'll quote myself from another thread:

"After the totally uneventful first game, I sure was ready for some action! And so I generated about 60 world maps (in parallel, running 16 instances of DF to use all CPU cores), with Beasts and Savagery set at "Very high", and finally found what seemed like an impossible challenge: a crippled Dwarven civilization, a nice starting location right next to a cluster of 20 dark pits and 2 dark fortresses, without a single dwarven fortress nearby."

As you can guess, nothing happened in 4 years, at which point my fortified military outpost became the capital, the monarch arrived, and I gave up. I was right next door to the goblins! Where were they? They should have been ambushing my wood cutters, harassing my workers, launching skirmishes, constantly probing my defenses, if not plainly dying at the fortress walls (goblins usually live short and violent lives). I thought I had picked a pretty good location for a survival challenge.

Without external threats, DF becomes The Sims with dwarves, which I'm sure is fine for some people.
How much wealth did you generate, and how much population did you have? You're never going to get goblins if you don't have enough population and wealth. Also, which version was this? Version 40 was notorious for not having sieges.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2016, 01:22:36 am »

I really had fun not building bridges or cage traps (or any other type of trap), will attempt to wall off but that's normally too late.
Lost about 70 dwarfs to a dragon (did attempt to cage trap the dragon it burned them all), a fort before that died to 8 goblins.
Most of the winning is due to min maxing and exploiting.

Well its good to see that some people have worked out how to get sieges, someone should really update the wiki page for it with tips on where to position a fortress to get enough action.

Artifact update should bring much needed invaders.

There are 2 separate issues with getting sieges:

1) .40 had bug that resulted in sieges never arriving. .42 supposedly fixes this.
2) The siege options in init have a high standard value that typically takes a few years to get up to. People expect sieges immediately and get upset when that doesn't happen instead of paying attention to their settings.

Have you updated to .42, lowered the required wealth and population for a siege and played for several years?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2016, 01:25:15 am »

That's the situation we have right now. People complain about it because they want to get challenges delivered to their doorstop, complete with goblinite, instead of deciding what they want to do and embarking/setting options accordingly.

People are saying 'embark somewhere without enemies if you want to turtle'.  But it's also just as valid to say 'embark somewhere near necro towers and goblins if you want constant sieges'.  Players who pick bad embark locations for what they want aren't a reason to change the base game.

That sounds great, except it doesn't work! I'll quote myself from another thread:

"After the totally uneventful first game, I sure was ready for some action! And so I generated about 60 world maps (in parallel, running 16 instances of DF to use all CPU cores), with Beasts and Savagery set at "Very high", and finally found what seemed like an impossible challenge: a crippled Dwarven civilization, a nice starting location right next to a cluster of 20 dark pits and 2 dark fortresses, without a single dwarven fortress nearby."

As you can guess, nothing happened in 4 years, at which point my fortified military outpost became the capital, the monarch arrived, and I gave up. I was right next door to the goblins! Where were they? They should have been ambushing my wood cutters, harassing my workers, launching skirmishes, constantly probing my defenses, if not plainly dying at the fortress walls (goblins usually live short and violent lives). I thought I had picked a pretty good location for a survival challenge.

Without external threats, DF becomes The Sims with dwarves, which I'm sure is fine for some people.

Sounds like you weren't paying attention to your siege settings. Did you lower the required population and exported wealth for a siege?  4 years is a very short time to hit the standard limits.  You won't really get kobold thieves or goblin attackers until you do.

Could also have been the .40 bug that prevented sieges from happening.

I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Stragus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2016, 01:35:57 am »

How much wealth did you generate, and how much population did you have? You're never going to get goblins if you don't have enough population and wealth. Also, which version was this? Version 40 was notorious for not having sieges.

That was version 0.42.3. I had 200 population at the end, a wealth of 15 millions (partially due to bugged prepared meals which are worth way too much), 4 years game time. I was right next to the goblins with the only crippled dwarven civilization at the other end of the map, and nothing ever happened.

Seriously, I'm not sure how better I could have told the game "I want a survival challenge"!

Edit: And I haven't touched any configuration file, that was pure vanilla 0.42.3.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:44:33 am by Stragus »

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2016, 02:03:35 am »

There are 2 separate issues with getting sieges:

1) .40 had bug that resulted in sieges never arriving. .42 supposedly fixes this.
2) The siege options in init have a high standard value that typically takes a few years to get up to. People expect sieges immediately and get upset when that doesn't happen instead of paying attention to their settings.

Have you updated to .42, lowered the required wealth and population for a siege and played for several years?

Started from 42.03, Been getting a few megabeasts and what not to show up, waiting for the next update because of sparring. I know I'm past the mark because of that dragon and later an Ettin.
For 40 where was this issue about sieges never showing up? Don't remember that being a thing by 40.24.
Had a few small sieges (mainly small groups) on 40.24 and a big undead ones, mainly a lack of action more then anything.
Have had kobolds showing up but no goblins, they should be in range. Might look at legends for both saves.

Would butcher all the guests but can't be sure if they're from my own Civ don't want a loyalty cascade.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]