Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod [1.2.1: A few minor fixes]  (Read 68433 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod [1.2.1: A few minor fixes]
« on: December 27, 2015, 04:45:03 pm »

This will be my 'generic' mod.  It doesn't actually have a theme or anything, but I like making creatures so it'll probably be mostly creatures.

I'm going down Wikipedia's list of mythical creatures and adding everything that looks interesting into DF.

Mostly I'm aiming for creatures with interesting behaviors or abilities, but also adding anything that looks like it could go nicely into vanilla DF.  I am going to try to find creatures with abilities that will force players to adapt their usual strategies rather than being just more of the same.

I will not be changing any base files, nor will I be using DFHack for this mod.  Everything will be modular and self-contained, so anyone who likes parts of it can take out what they like.

Mythical Monsters:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hungry Ghosts (Pretas)

The Wild Hunt:

Bogey Hunting:

Plump Helmet Men:

Deep Ones:

Whatevermancers:

Automatons

FAQ:

Planning list:
Lizard people controlling the government
Bargain imps, evil counterpart for leprechauns
More mythical monsters

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Mostly Mythical Monsters Mod
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 04:48:22 pm »

Dryad/Ent combo, for forested regions. Some form of synergy between them.
Rat king, lots of rats knotted together on their tails, gets more magical power the more rats are in it.
Lamia, a female snake vampire.

That gives maybe some ideas. :)

I know how well you can write mods, I'm curious what you will come up with.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Comito

• Bay Watcher
  • Barrens chat scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 05:09:08 pm »

Is it possible to make electrical attacks deal more damage to people wearing metal armor?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 05:27:03 pm »

Is it possible to make electrical attacks deal more damage to people wearing metal armor?
Not without dfhack, but you can make them deal more damage against people standing IN_WATER.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Comito

• Bay Watcher
  • Barrens chat scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 05:42:12 pm »

Does that include being out in the rain and covered with water?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 03:30:22 am »

Does that include being out in the rain and covered with water?
No.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 10:41:06 am »

First challenge: is it possible to make a reverse night creature?  A creature that transforms itself into a member of its target's race in order to breed (selkies, kitsunes)?

Time to experiment.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod (Initial release)
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 04:51:39 pm »

Custom interactions are not used by the AI in worldgen, so I would say no, not without dfhack.

For ingame, fort/adv mode, the creature would need an interaction for EACH creature that exists. Two, even, one for male and female, so it turns into the correct gender for breeding. A changeling/doppelgänger can be done, but wow, that would be a lot of work.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 11:13:29 am »

Custom interactions are not used by the AI in worldgen, so I would say no, not without dfhack.

For ingame, fort/adv mode, the creature would need an interaction for EACH creature that exists. Two, even, one for male and female, so it turns into the correct gender for breeding. A changeling/doppelgänger can be done, but wow, that would be a lot of work.

It'll probably be just dwarves, elves, humans and goblins for vanilla, so not such a big deal.

Still, it would be a good opportunity to test how powerful the creature variation system is.  I haven't really worked with it much since variables were added.  Can variables be strings?  Can you call a creature variation inside a creature variation?  If so, it should be possible to create a template that would allow players to add their own ditto creatures simply by adding available transformations to a list.  I'm not sure if all that is possible though.

On another note, two new ideas for thinking about:

1. Wish granting creatures that run away and, if you catch them, they grant one wish - but of course, all wishes have a catch.  The catch won't render the wish useless, but it will change the game in unexpected ways.  For instance, wishing for a boost in one stat might lower your other stats, wishing for luck might decrease your overall skill except when your good luck kicks in, and wishing for combat skill might change your personality so you will need to fight more often to stay focused.
2. A system that allows you to gain new powers by fighting more and more powerful bogeymen.  Basically there is a special bogeyman that drops a soul which, when eaten, gives you a new power as well as the ability to transform it into a stronger creature the next time you encounter it, which drops a soul, and so on, all the way up to demon-level monsters and beyond to all kinds of eldritch abominations.  Powers will be evil themed, like practically everything supernatural in DF.  If you fight enough bogeys, you can eventually gain the combined powers of a necromantic werebeast vampire thrall, plus some even bigger powers, but eventually it will make you the enemy of everyone.  And of course, you will have to fight monsters stronger than demons to get that far, and since you need to encounter bogeymen to get there, you have to do it alone.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 08:17:14 pm »

Have heard you mention your plans regarding the bogeymen before and find them interesting; PTW.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod [0.2: Make a wish]
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 05:41:34 pm »

Some new creatures have been added.  Most notably, leprechauns (which are based on the original leprechaun myth, not the typical depiction which is basically a bunch of derogatory Irish stereotypes).  If you catch one, it will grant you a wish (you might have to beat it up a bit to convince it; the trigger is based on their sweat).  Right now the only wishes are to raise your strength, toughness, agility, or endurance; the amount you get boosted is random, as are any drawbacks (but the benefit will usually outweigh the cost).

There are also brownies (servant pets that perform labors), redcaps (the even nastier relative of gnomes, do NOT underestimate these guys), cockatrices (turkey-sized dragonoids with a paralyzing hiss attack), ramidreju (healing weasels) and ichneumon (super-mongooses that have amazing stats, are nearly immune to most poisons and can even resist dragonfire).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 07:41:46 am »

These are mostly for adv-mode, yes?

In that case I would suggest molds/blobs/slimes with different hearts/gems in them, that you can use to give the adventurer a special ability or a one-time attack. Find and kill a red blob, digest its heart, become fireproof for a time. There could be many themes/colors.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 10:26:47 am »

They are intended for both fort and adventure mode, Fort dwarves will even manage to wish on leprechauns sometimes (though they almost always kill them afterwards).  The only creatures that are exclusively for adventurers are bogeymen.

Creatures that grant special effects or powers when eaten are always fun, and could work in both modes.  Possibly blobs, possibly something else like imps or something, not really sure. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 10:54:25 am »

Maybe plant-based creatures? We already have plump helmet men, and people really seemed to like the idea.

It makes more sense considering the ethics of dwarves, not eating sentient beings usually.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 03:37:33 pm »

I'm making some advanced bogeymen.

I'm going to try to make enough of them that they will feel procedurally generated.  Their aspects will draw from body horror and uncanny valley tropes and come in various tiers.  You can advance base bogeymen to tier 2, and after advancing a bogeyman, you gain the power to advance another bogey to tier 3, and so on.  Once you advance a bogeyman, it gives you a random beneficial trait or a special ability, but you have to survive the night before it actually activates.

I'm probably going to work with 7 tiers of gradually increasing horribleness.  Preliminary escalation concept: Bogeymen are tier 1.  DF Night Creatures are tier 2.  Most creepypasta monsters would fall around tier 3.  Tier 7...is basically a Shub-Niggurath expy.  I haven't worked out the details of the reward for winning yet, but I am using Nyarlathotep as a basis for them (i.e. since there isn't really anything left that could challenge you, might as well give you the power to sow complete chaos throughout the world).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11