Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod [1.2.1: A few minor fixes]  (Read 69126 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

I have another suggestion, one I think would be really fitting for Dwarf Fortress: The Gashadokuro.

They're a variant of Yokai from Japan, described as fifteen times taller than the average person, and said to be made from the amassed bones of those who died of starvation. Supposedly they ambush lone travelers at night, bite off their heads, and drink the blood that sprays out. Pretty straightforward, if you ask me- guess they could be semimegabeasts. Or maybe megabeasts.

Apparently they're also supposed to be indestructible and can turn invisible, but I think that'd be a BIT too much.

Eh, a giant skeleton with no frills seems a bit straightforward, but why not.  I'll probably just call it a Bone Colossus, though.

If you take mythical monsters because there were mentioned in historical texts, legends, etc, would you consider adding mythical characters too? Icarus, a man who can fly, The monkey king, who can make copies of himself, that middle-eastern prophet guy called Jesus who can heal you and ressurect the dead...  various saints and real-life hero characters. St. Patrick would insta-kill all snakes that come in sight. ;)

Not as creatures, but they could work as secrets.  Though these particular examples would mostly require dfhack...

Hi IndigoFenix,

Another great mod idea. I would love to include it in the upcoming Dark Ages: Chapter II, with your permission.

GM-X

Certainly.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

If you take mythical monsters because there were mentioned in historical texts, legends, etc, would you consider adding mythical characters too? Icarus, a man who can fly, The monkey king, who can make copies of himself, that middle-eastern prophet guy called Jesus who can heal you and ressurect the dead...  various saints and real-life hero characters. St. Patrick would insta-kill all snakes that come in sight. ;)

Not as creatures, but they could work as secrets.  Though these particular examples would mostly require dfhack...
They actually all work with raws, otherwise I would not have suggested them.

Icarus is simply a man with angel wings and FLYER tag.
Monkey King has rotten connective tissue that makes bodyparts fall off, which he animates and transformes into copies of himself.
Jesus has interactions to resurrect dead and raise recuperation to max.
St. Patrick has interactions to target any creature with class:SNAKE, which you would have to add to all snakes.

Anyway, it was more of a question than a suggestion. Just wanted to know if you'd consider mythical characters.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There aren't really any rules to this mod, I'm just trying to add interesting things that people might like to copy for their own mods.

That being said, I think it's a little weird to include mythical characters as their own independent species.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

St. Patrick has interactions to target any creature with class:SNAKE, which you would have to add to all snakes.
You could also specify AFFECTED_CREATURE for each and every snake, if you want the default files untouched.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could also specify AFFECTED_CREATURE for each and every snake, if you want the default files untouched.

I picked the ichneumon as the token anti-snake creature, mainly by making it virtually immune to poison, basilisk stares, and dragonfire-resistant.

(It's probably just a typically medieval exaggeration of a mongoose.)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod [0.7: More Adventuring Monsters]
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2016, 09:33:18 am »

Updated again!

This update adds a few new creatures you can adventure as: Green Men, who can cover the ground in leaves, flowers, and fruit (though they don't need to eat) and Satori, who are small but can read minds (which basically amounts to perfect observer and appraisal skills, along with some other mental attributes at maximum).

Other additions are the amphibious, predatory arctic-dwelling Akhlut, herds of Hippocampi, the colossal Grootslang, the killer rabbit Miraj, the mostly harmless Wisps, the self-healing Phoenix, and the deadly, ice-cold kisses of the Yuki-onna.  Bone Colossi are a new semi-megabeast which is appropriately dangerous, but relatively fragile, their narrow lower spines are their weak point.

Also, a new secret - dracomancers.  They can turn into humanoid dragons, complete with dragonfire breath, and summon draconic minions from enemy corpses.  One of the most dangerous of the 'mancers, I expect.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 03:47:25 am »

In the opening post you say everything's modular and no base files are changed, but the current download seems to contain all the vanilla raws too. Are these just copies of the originals and can be ignored? I'd like to use this to play with my own modded game.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2016, 11:06:15 am »

In the opening post you say everything's modular and no base files are changed, but the current download seems to contain all the vanilla raws too. Are these just copies of the originals and can be ignored? I'd like to use this to play with my own modded game.

Yes, they are all unchanged.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A new update, this one adds pretas (Hungry Ghosts):

Pretas will lurk around your food stockpiles, seeking to possess unwary victims and turn them into bloodsuckers.  The possessing spirit will occasionally jump hosts, making them harder to catch than regular vampires.  Locking a possessed dwarf in a room alone may help, but be warned - if deprived of opportunities to satisfy themselves or jump to a new host, the ghost may kill its victim out of spite.

Pretas inhabit each cavern layer, so the more layers you open up, the more frequently they will show up around your stockpiles.  They also live in evil regions above ground.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile

This is an amazing sounding mod. I’ll have to give it a test run ASAP.

As for some suggestions I have:

I know that the mere mention of it puts some dwarves in shock, but what about another big scorpion creature? Specifically, I’m talking about the Girtabilu.
Girtabilu are what you get when someone says: “Hey, you know what would make centaurs better? Scorpion lower Half instead of a Horse!”
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They would be a Desert/Wasteland response to Centaurs, [assuming centaurs only appear in Shrubland/Plains]. Firing off arrows coated in it's own venom at range, an being able to rend and pierce with claw and tail up close.

------------------

Another that comes to mind would be the Lindwurm/Linnorm. They are large dragons, though they more fit the title of ‘Wurm’. They are serpentine, generally with no wings, and either no limbs, or one set of frontal limbs. Famous examples of Lindwurms would be Fafnir, Nidhogg, and Jormungander. Based on their lands of origin, (mostly the Nordics), they would mostly live in more frigid and icy biomes.

------------------

And hey, how about to tie these two concepts together with a nice pretty bow, a Megabeast idea. From Zoroastrian mythology, the creature that brings about the apocalypse is Azhi Dahaka, or Zahhak. A three headed Dragon with insects that crawl over its body, and in some versions, get this: IT BLEEDS SCORPIONS!! It would work likely in a similar manner to Meph's idea on the Monkey king, just instead of copies of itself, it would turn its severed parts/blood into scorpions. So if you manage to pop some arrows into it, but don't kill it and allow it to wander and bleed, you'll soon be swarming in scorpions. I've no idea if this is possible with blood, but just the thought of it sounds so awesome to me.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile

Kept getting errors with the bone colossus something about the thickness of the tissue for the fingers and toes. Just looked at one and crashed. so I changed something that looked like it needing to have some value.
Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:BONE:BONE:BONE:BONE:NONE]
No more errors, I just added in the monsters and nothing else seems to be broken.

That could have been from using DF wanderer.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:52:29 am by KillzEmAllGod »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile

burst in here to wonder if you are designing a mod where a creature can Resurrect you into a different creature type?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, just going to throw this in here in case you ever need some inspiration. I don't know where you live exactly, but an often overlooked source of hilarious fantasy creatures is North American lumberjack folklore. In the 1800s and early 1900s the lumber camps had a long and proud tradition of telling tall tales at night to the new guys, and the best of what they came up with is pretty good. Some are also absolutely murderous...

Here is the link to the generic wikipedia page on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearsome_critters

And here is a link to a book published by Minnesota's first state Forrester on the subject, complete with illustrations, in 1910:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearsome_Creatures_of_the_Lumberwoods,_With_a_Few_Desert_and_Mountain_Beasts

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile

Have enjoyed the mod so far, only really have had issues with two creatures.

Brownies: Can't really change their jobs so they do some of the dwarf ones in workshops.
Gorgon: the gaze is rather insane for fort mode mainly because of its range (20 tiles) and it seemed to do it again in quick succession, Then a whole year waiting for the dwarfs to come back. Is there a way to put more syndromes into the ability that trigger (lower chance based on distance) at different ranges? Though thats only if theres a min range option.

The other thing there appears to be a lack of creatures for the caverns, might we get some like cave krakens smaller then the sea ones and more rare then cave dragons but more deadly. Though if only there was reach would it make that creature truly fearsom. Could also shove some of the demons into the caverns that are planned.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've enjoyed what I've seen of this mod so far, although I haven't had much time to test it. I did rip out a good portion of the mod, but the extra variety of what I did add is appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:45:52 am by Taffer »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11