Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod [1.2.1: A few minor fixes]  (Read 68557 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod [0.9: Yet more monsters]
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2016, 03:24:57 pm »

Updated!  This time there are some more playable creatures:

Girtabilu: Scorpion-centaurs, as suggested.  Deadly neurotoxin included.
Pooka: Kobold-sized shapeshifters that can change into a hare, eagle, cat, dog, goat, horse, bull, or human.  Some minor changes from their base creatures to make them more useful - the cat can see in the dark, the dog has an excellent sense of smell, and the goat can climb.  Stronger forms last longer, and are therefore riskier since you can't heal while transformed.
Tengu: Flying ninja bird people who learn combat skills quickly and can vanish in a puff of smoke, but have trouble gaining armor skill.

More wild creatures:

Kelpie/Nixie: Water horses and water nymphs that can transform into each other.
Wyvern: Venomous flying reptile
Lavellan: Poisonous aquatic rodent
Oni: Mountain ogres that come in red and blue flavors.

And a megabeast, the Lindworm, which is really, REALLY big and has an extremely deadly venom.

This version changes one vanilla file in a minor way - animal people and giant animals are much less common, so you'll actually be able to encounter the monsters living in the savage wilds.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com

Hi IndigoFenix,

Another great mod idea. I would love to include it in the upcoming Dark Ages: Chapter II, with your permission.

GM-X

Certainly.

I'm still planning to add a number of these mythical creatures to DAII. Probably for the next big DF adventurer fort building update. Will also be adding an Ironhand based tileset. Feel free to grab it IndigoFenix, once released.
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2016, 06:45:00 pm »

Awesome! Glad to see you added in some of the ones I reccomended.

I have a question though. How does the poison of the Lindworm operate? I read through the raws, and have no idea what the 2 effects of the Lindworm bite actually mean.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2016, 12:03:53 am »

I have a question though. How does the poison of the Lindworm operate? I read through the raws, and have no idea what the 2 effects of the Lindworm bite actually mean.

It basically shuts down all of a creature's organs, killing it within a few minutes at most.  Nothing organic is going to survive its bite, assuming, of course, it doesn't flat-out bite them in half.  The good news is that it's a lot less agile and skilled than most megabeasts so staying out of reach is easier.

It also removes the immortality of creatures with acquired immortality (necromancers and vampires), as a reference to how one of them is supposed to kill Thor.  This is functionally pointless though, as such creatures will be killed by its venom anyway.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2016, 08:26:06 pm »

Keep going though please add some ones to the caverns they really urgently need some new creatures both common and rare. I would also suggest to change some of the creatures already there like crundles and troglodyte.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2016, 09:04:39 pm »

PTW

I wonder if you could do something with Skinwalkers, you know. That Native American myth about folks that can transform into animals or other humans. Some even transform into animals with human like appearance, so werebeast like. I dunno, it just seems like a cool thing to have in this mod along with all of the other bits of awesome here.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2016, 10:23:34 am »

please add demon pacts. it could be similar to the bogeyhunt, but it's just a single imp, and you. whenever you accept it's newest pact you gain some power(differs on what pact number it is) and the imp gains a new more powerful demon form, ending on an unkillable(in the Halfling scratch mod there was a creature that survived losing all hittable body parts) incredibly powerfull superfast collossal demon made of slade with all the useful no's(NOPAIN,NOEXERT etc.).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:36:15 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2016, 03:13:12 pm »

please add demon pacts. it could be similar to the bogeyhunt, but it's just a single imp, and you. whenever you accept it's newest pact you gain some power(differs on what pact number it is) and the imp gains a new more powerful demon form, ending on an unkillable(in the Halfling scratch mod there was a creature that survived losing all hittable body parts) incredibly powerfull superfast collossal demon made of slade with all the useful no's(NOPAIN,NOEXERT etc.).

This mechanism wouldn't quite work since you can only have one transformation at a time, but demon pacts do sound interesting.  They could be the evil counterpart to leprechauns.  Not sure how they would work though, they should probably involve some sort of curse...

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2016, 03:22:13 pm »

I had been considering making pact magic for my own stuff, my plans were to have an interaction that gave you a long term debuff and personality change but gave you access to interactions

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2016, 04:55:02 am »

Thought I might make another list of interesting creature suggestions. This time, I’m going to pull mostly from Slavic folklore.

Ala/Hala: A mix somewhere between a Air elemental and a Demon. The form of this demon is not agreed upon, taking on the appearance of almost any beast, but as an indistinct, hazy cloud.  This demon often instigated thunder and hailstorms, which would lead to the ruination of ones crops. It is sometimes heralded by a powerful, resonant hissing sound that comes before dark hailstorm clouds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ala_%28demon%29

Leshy: Massive forest spirits. They much akin to the more common tale of the Treant, mixed with a Forest giant. He is known to lead travelers astray from the road, and have the ability to shift his size  on a whim. While some claim he is evil, many prefer to think of him merely as a guardian of the forest, like some sort of fae. Not evil, but perhaps tempermental.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leshy

Personally, while I think of a treant more like a massive tree that looks vaguely humanoid, I imagine the Leshy to look more akin to a giant or ogre made of greenery, perhaps like certain depictions of Forest Trolls:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/18/2f/7b/182f7baba9c76dee6953ee90295c62c5.jpg
http://orig09.deviantart.net/0d7b/f/2013/029/a/7/forest_troll_by_collettejellis-d5t579u.jpg

Rusalka: Water nymph like beings, though sometimes portrayed as more ghost or vampire-like. They were originally relatively benign spirits, though later folklore makes them much more akin to Succubi, tempting men with their beauty towards their watery homes to drown them or steal their essence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka

Strzyga: Another type of vampire-like Undead, though this one is a bit more odd. A Strzyga is a person born with two hearts, two sets of teeth, and two souls. It is said that when someone who is a Stryzyga dies the first time, only their first soul dies, and the second soul brings the body back to life. They wander, taking the form of an owl at night, and sucking folks blood and entrails out from them. In some versions of the tale, they are not violent themselves, but appear before people as a herald of death, similar to the mythos behind the Banshee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strzyga

I was also thinking about adding on Zmey Gorynych, but the slavic dragons really do not have too much that distinguishes them. The only traits that really seem to be somewhat unique is that they have multiple heads (oddly always a multiple of three), and can regrow severed heads like the Lernaean Hydra. Other than that, they are really often just portrayed as somewhat obese, fire breathing dragons.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2016, 09:18:48 am »

are lindworms supposed to have legs and arms?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2016, 11:04:57 am »

are lindworms supposed to have legs and arms?

Depending on the country in question, Lindworm/Linnorn/ect, translates as either Dragon, or Serpent. The most persistent depiction of them, is the 'wurm' depiction, where they have no wings, and only small, almost vestigial front legs, and move around by slithering like a serpent, or pulling themselves around with their front limbs. Two of the most famous examples, in Fafnir, and Niddhoggr, are often portrayed as wingless, with only two forelimbs, where as Jormungander, another famous interpretation, is portrayed without any limbs, simply being a massive serpent.

It seems that Indigofenix has incorporated aspects of both versions in his own Lindworm. If I read the raw correct, his Lindworm only has a set of arms and no legs.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2016, 04:06:55 pm »

If you want stuff for more tropical regions, I got some regional suggestions for you

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 03:01:21 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2016, 03:54:36 am »

Hey IndigoFenix, how are you doing? :)

I'm back, starting to mod again. I noticed you merged the plump helmet men into this, as well as your sphinx.

I planned on updating Masterwork again and adding optional minor mods into it, something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What do you think?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2016, 04:19:24 am »

Niiice.  I take it this works by modifying which files are used?  If so, it should work fine.

I do plan on adding some more content (and improving some old content, like the bogeyhunt), though I have been rather busy as of late.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11