Tilesets!
- 8 (50%)
ASCII only!
- 4 (25%)
I don't care
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarven Temple Contest!  (Read 21170 times)

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Temple Contest!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 02:47:20 pm »

Righto! Sign me up as a contestant please. :D

Also some questions:

what about tilesets? are we permitted to use or will this be strictly original DF ASCII? (I use Wanderlust, for example, which is nearly ASCII)

Will each entry be viewed/judged in the tileset it was created, or possibly reverted to ASCII or the tileset preferred by that particular judge?

Mostly I ask because tilesets tend to have an effect on aesthetics, such as diagonal walls look better with a tileset that displays them as such rather than as a jaggy line, etc.

hooray!

--nomad_delta

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 03:11:16 pm »

If you need another judge I volunteer.

(Regarding tilesets, all entries should be judged using same tileset.)
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 07:18:54 pm »

ASCII ftw! Barring that, Pheobus.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 09:11:37 am »

I will take the challenge as a judge.  Also, I'll add a further prize into the mix:  Whichever temple is judged the single greatest in all categories, I will recreate in Sketchup and the winning entree will be able to be walked through in first person.  (Armok Vision would be easier, but the it's 3D architecture program "Sketchup" that allows me to render scenes like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 03:38:32 pm »

That's rad, thanks Timeless Bob!

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 04:25:26 pm »

When are we starting?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 06:57:54 pm »

When are we starting?
Edit: We will try to start when we get around 10 contestants.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 07:01:00 pm »

We're up to 6 so far (including me, I'm not on the OP list yet) ... just need a few more :D

--nomad_delta

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 07:03:24 pm »

Yep once we get around 10. Everyone has been added to their lists. Also, as of right now you can no longer sign up as a judge.

Edit: yeah, let's all stick with ASCII, it's just like you said, some tilesets make certain features look better than others, and we want to keep things as even as possible for each entry.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 07:07:48 pm by TheCheeseMaker »
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016, 03:17:19 pm »

Yep once we get around 10. Everyone has been added to their lists. Also, as of right now you can no longer sign up as a judge.

Edit: yeah, let's all stick with ASCII, it's just like you said, some tilesets make certain features look better than others, and we want to keep things as even as possible for each entry.

Can we SUBMIT in ascii? I hate playing with it, and use a tileset. I can just as well remove it well enough. I also have to set my pop cap kinda low, around 40 or 50 dwarves. Is this a problem?

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 11:40:48 pm »

I'm fine with both of those, since neither really give you an unfair advantage. Just be sure to remove the tileset before posting pics and the save.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 06:17:41 pm »

I dunno, I think tilesets add quite a bit of extra flavor.  I'd not be opposed to temples presented in Ironhand, Mayday, Spacefox, Phoebus, etc. if it provides some unique aspect to the temple.  I agree that the game mode should be vanilla, but so long as the graphics packs are one of the more widely used sets I don't see a problem with allowing submissions to use them.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:14 pm »

I dunno, I think tilesets add quite a bit of extra flavor.  I'd not be opposed to temples presented in Ironhand, Mayday, Spacefox, Phoebus, etc. if it provides some unique aspect to the temple.  I agree that the game mode should be vanilla, but so long as the graphics packs are one of the more widely used sets I don't see a problem with allowing submissions to use them.

I second that. If one of the goals is to make the most aesthetically pleasing looking fort then why not have picking the most fitting tile-sets be a factor to also consider?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:36:47 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 11:18:11 am »

Once I get home, I'll put up a poll to decide if people want tilesets. Also, we'll probably start the contest on Sunday, even if we don't get to 10 people.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 03:35:17 pm »

PTW this looks awesome. Insane dwarven engineering + Insane dwarven religious fanatacism = !!DORFY!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13