Tilesets!
- 8 (50%)
ASCII only!
- 4 (25%)
I don't care
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Dwarven Temple Contest!  (Read 21008 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Temple Contest!
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2016, 01:09:36 am »

Welp, since I can't be a judge, i might as well say this:
Nomad_Delta: I love your temple. I love the way the bee is basically engraved in different stones on the temple floor. I haven't exactly downloaded it to look at it, but your temples is impressive. I love the dome shape to it. I never would have thought to use the doors in a diagonal fashion like that.

Greycat: Love the crown motif, along with the charcoal base. It took me a moment to figure out why it was made out of coal.

hey sanctumme, and gchrostopher, where are your saves?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2016, 02:57:04 am »

I just finished the magma pump stack, and it looks like it's working. 
But I have not released it in my moat as the FPS drops to 25-ish and I'm not done constructing the sun-rays.

I am aiming to upload the save by next Sunday as this thing has been a very huge mega project.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2016, 02:04:55 pm »

gchristopher, if you post an update within two days from now in a similar vein as those above, you can be scored too
Thanks, but I've still got one major portion of the project to finish, and a ton of minor details. Then I need to raise the pop cap and see how it starts handling visitors. ;) There was never any realistic way it could be done in two weeks. Plus, if I put out the save file now, seeing the still-hidden parts might spoil the surprise of why the temple is built the way it is.

The first four entries are fantastic, I suggest keeping this thread alive and collecting post-deadline entries along with "unofficial" judge evaluations if your judges care to keep looking at new temples. As long as you're willing to link to people's temple posts in the OP, there's no reason you couldn't keep collecting cool temples here, if you'd like!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2016, 03:53:35 pm »

My screenshot was only 1 level, and it's made of stone (orthoclase) so it's "nice" enough color to represent "the sun" and "the dawn" part of "ftrid" the youth of brilliance diety. 

And there is also fire, and metal portion.  So for the temple part, I am planning to use tetrahedrite (copper), native silver (silver) and native gold (gold) and smelt them to bars.  I am thinking the temple portion will the 3z above ground level. I started making private residences using copper floors, mixed gold and silver walls, with the "bling" gem windows.

I was kinda disappointed using those ores (tetrahedrite, native silver, native gold) as cut gem "bling" windows--it was 3 shades of grey blinking windows. Maybe that's metallic enough, but I wanted some yellow, orange, and red blings!

Anyway, these metallic residences are on the NE, and SW sun-ray.  I do plan to excavate the forest in the NW and build the last run-ray manors there. 

The SE sun-ray houses the magma-piston plan (which I may do anyway just for the heck of it), maybe a cylinder obsidian pillar will have it's use.  The power and pump stack housing in in this SE sun-ray too.

Other than that, constructions were halted when 8 Albatross Corpses harassed from above.  Good thing, my 3 squads train under open skies.  I can tell now my accessible magma-moat walls will be a dodge trap to both my squads and invaders.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2016, 04:46:08 pm »

I played some more last night, with the magma pump stack turned on which took some times to pre-fill.  I used the 1x3 per level temperature saving architecture, and my FPS hovers at 19. 

I had !fun! of a sort when a Marlin Corpse teasingly goes out of the water interrupting my construction workers.  s - A B C - k basically orders everyone to kill it.

It then decides to dive - dive - dive 3z down the ocean and a handful of marksdwarves and melee were vengeful enough to continue the fight in the water.  I don't recall anyone even dabbling in swimming, so I expected my all-male 30 militia to die if they all jump in that 21/7 deep water with an un-nerfed undead (42.04). 

Unfortunately, with 0 idlers doing more orthoclase digging, clear tree cutting the NW, channelliing for the NW sun-ray, and breaching open cavern 3 for my kitten baited GCS-hopeful cage traps... I had a crash... DF.exe (Not Responding). 

Overall, a 2 hour progress lost.  I had even started the gold and silver walls of all the N, W, S, E rays. Bummer, indeed.

Duck Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2016, 06:08:28 pm »

Finally...I'm back home after sleeping in an airport. Would have uploaded sooner with write-up but had to do some honey-do's and Frankenstein a ac-adapter brick for my laptop out of an old brick. I managed to load it up real quick before uploading and ran DF-hack to wipe all the blood, puss, and mountains of vomit that had accumulated. There's also about 100+ dwarves loafing around that I plan to weed out.

Here is the file meanwhile. If you load it up...beware of the levers...do not pull without reading the signs placed in the Notes screen. Also I cant remember if I left the floodgates on to fill the moat/reservoir. Notable features are the "Temples to other gods" located on the "Moon Door" that drops any pagans to their deaths. I had begun piling the dead non believers into the corridor that leads to the base of the hive. I wanted to take some fancy pictures like you guys did but most of my playing were on work computers (at the time) so I couldn't get it to work right. There is also a bit of polish I plan to apply to it at a later date but seeing as I am home now I will not have much time until I go back offshore. Hope ya'll think its cool...dropping non-pious dwarves from leg shattering heights was fun. Oh right and don't forget the monsters in the basement...never got around to dealing with those. My future plans are a moat of cave crocodiles, killing the loafing non believers, better filtering my dead as some more notable believers were buried with the pagans, and fine-tune some of my stockpiles.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11742
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:10:53 pm by Duck Slayer »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2016, 07:21:05 pm »

Hi all! Sorry for the long delay! I needed a bit of a break to relieve the DF burnout and focus on real life. That turned into a pretty major illness that I'm still a few days from recovered. Sitting up and focusing on complicated game mechanics wasn't happening.

Our crazy little cultists have captured a second cave spider and put it to important work alongside the first in preparing crucial parts of the next stage of the project.

Soon they should be ready to demonstrate the main temple ("The Anvil of Ozor") in action! We'll need to raise the pop cap and get plenty of visitors first, though. We've got craptons of berry wines for the (unfinished) public tavern. I bet the elves will be curious.

As always, other than me getting sick, the biggest threat to the fort will remain FPS.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2016, 08:43:18 pm »

ugh!  Real life just rose up and bit a big bunch of my free time away.  I won't be able to fairly judge the submissions after all. (They were all quite impressive)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2016, 06:12:21 pm »

So who is our judge now?

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2016, 08:59:35 pm »

I hope the on-time entries still get some of the attention they deserve! They look great.

Back to an interminably late entry! The cultists of Ozor are back at work, now midway through year 112. A small group of raccoons tried to enter the fort to steal things, but were quickly mauled by the growing group of Giant Black Bears at the entrance.

The dwarves have started on the next major phase: preparing for guests! Can't have the inaugural (and possibly only) Festival of Ozor without a lot of guests, right? This has involved a lot of digging new housing, mostly, but some very complicated planning for the exact tavern and temple designations, as well as a few Very Important Passageways, have yet to be determined.

(Ooh, a raccoon stole an iron pike from the corpses outside. I think this means free mess cleanup by wildlife. That'll help FPS! More raccoons, please!)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:31:28 pm by gchristopher »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2016, 10:11:26 am »

The FPS drop was a reason I haven't loaded my sun temple.  Somehow I had my init is set to 200 pop cap, so after the 120z+ pump stack, and adding the entire 3rd column of a 3x3 embark an ocean, my construction workers move into a crawl. 

Thex XCOM2 was release.  Maybe next time, I'll do a small region, 1 cavern world-gen to save FPS for a large-ish mega construction that involves magma and ocean.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]