Tilesets!
- 8 (50%)
ASCII only!
- 4 (25%)
I don't care
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarven Temple Contest!  (Read 21005 times)

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Temple Contest!
« on: December 27, 2015, 09:24:46 pm »

Compete with your fellow forumites and try to create the greatest temple the community has ever seen! The rules are as follows.

You can sign up as either a judge or a contestant. There is no hard limit on either of these, although at most I would prefer to have at most one judge for every three contestants, although preferably more pike one judge for every five contestants.

Once enough people have signed up, I will post a save.  This will be a brand new world on the lastest edition. All contestants must use this save to keep things generally fair, although you can choose to embark anywhere in the world using any (dwarven) civ.

Once the save has been posted, contestants have two weeks of real life time to build their temples and post a write-up. Time extensions will not be given, so only sign up if you know you can meet the deadline. Tentatively we will start next Monday at midnight, but more details will be decided later.

The write-up must include a copy of the save, pictures of the major areas of the temple, and a few paragraphs describing the temple. You can edit your write-up at any time prior to the deadline, but you cannot edit once the two weeks are up.

After the entries have been posted, each judge will look over them and rate the temples from 1-5 in the four categories:

1. Relation to deity
-How well does the temple relate to the deity it supposedly represents?
-For example, a temple for a water deity would score high if it was built in an ocean with waterfalls raining down from all sides, but poorly if it was built inside a volcano made entirely from metal.

2. Difficulty to build
-Pretty self-explanatory.
-In this case, a temple built in an ocean or in a volcano would both score pretty high.

3. Architecture
-Do you use only rectangular rooms for your temple, or is the overall shape and construction of the temple more creative?
- A water or volcano temple could score anything here, it just depends on the creativity of the design.

4. Aesthetics
-Basically everything that's not temple shape. Color, instrument placement, etc. all go here.
-This is basically the 'other' category. What's in your temple that's distinguishing?

After each judge looks over the temples, they send their scores to me. I will average the scores and post the results soon after.

Other rules:
-Keep modding to a minimum.  Minor changes, like bugfixes using df hack are fine, but do not do major changes, like creating materials, or using fastdwarf, or other major changes.
-Init file changes are generally ok, but still try not to do anything too major.
-Use whatever tileset you are most comfortable with.

Judges:
1. TheCheeseMaker
2. vjmdhzgr
3. evictedSaint
4. Paulus Fahlstrom
5. Timeless Bob

Contestants:
1. jwoodward48df
2. nogoodnames
3. k33n (possibly)
4. SimRobert2001
5. Sanctume
6. nomad_delta
7. greycat
8. TheFlame52
9. gchristopher

Save is here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11644

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:10:55 pm by TheCheeseMaker »
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Temple Contest
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 09:26:53 pm »

Reseved
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 09:51:36 pm »

I will attempt!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 12:11:07 am »

I'll just be a judge if available. I'd really like to participate, but will be away from a dwarf fortress capable computer until Monday night.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 02:23:48 am »

jwoodward48df has been added to the list.

vjmdhzgr, we probably won't start until monday next week, the one after new years, so if you want I can add you to the contestant list.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 08:21:06 am »

After getting back to that computer I then have a lot of things I need to do, so no, I think it's best I just judge.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 06:14:58 pm »

I'll give it a shot.

When you say no modding, does that include init settings? Can we turn off invaders, cave-ins, etc. or is that part of the challenge?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Temple Contest!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 01:30:42 am »

Nogoodnames and vjmdhzgr have both been added to their respective lists.

I generall mean no utility tools or changing raws.  I don't want to make a comprhensive list for each individual possible change someone could make, but I would say generally keep things as close to their initial settings as possible, to ensure a fair chance for each contestant.

Of course, I don't care too much about softer init changes, like pop cap or weather, but try to keep it fair, so I'm going to say keep invaders and cave-ins on. For anything else, I'm leaving it up to your own judgement. If you think it would give you an unfair advantage, don't do it.

Edit: We will try to start when we get around 10 contestants.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:34:58 am by TheCheeseMaker »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 04:06:30 pm »

You might have more luck attracting contestants if you moved this to Community Games and Stories.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 05:51:03 pm »

You might have more luck attracting contestants if you moved this to Community Games and Stories.

ptw, and eventually contribute. No guarantees, though.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 01:24:49 am »

Put me in. I will have to make it small, though. Wha5 about the program that lets you see your fort in 3d?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 02:31:13 am »

Do I have enough gravitas to make it as a judge?

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 12:02:55 pm »

Everyone has been added to their proper lists.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 12:53:22 pm »

sign me up as temple maker

crap, i need to learn how to make a temple / tavern, etc

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 12:54:44 pm »

sign me up as temple maker

crap, i need to learn how to make a temple / tavern, etc
It's like a meeting hall but then you press l while selecting it and it become a temple/tavern/library.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13