Tilesets!
- 8 (50%)
ASCII only!
- 4 (25%)
I don't care
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Dwarven Temple Contest!  (Read 21259 times)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Temple Contest!
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2016, 07:38:24 pm »

Uh-oh! Got a siege in early year 109, (yaay sieges come now!), and while I was hiding underground, the Weretortoise Cobi Espoele Nocam Irum came! This time, things were not so good for the ninja turtle, and his head was hacked off by an invading Axedwarf.

BUT, that happened in the evil region, where the head promptly reanimated and is now tearing apart the goblin siege, one by one. I might have an undead siege to deal with shortly, which might be really bad for FPS.

I think the Zombie Ninja Turtle Head still has all the weretortoise stat boosts, too, because it's throwing goblins a dozen tiles away when it hits them!

edit: Aww, a Goblin Spearman destroyed the head. So ends the tale of the original Weretortoise.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 08:06:02 pm by gchristopher »

Duck Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2016, 09:45:06 pm »

I have managed to end the ninja turtle menace three different ones actually. My biggest threat other than necromancer invasion (this is my third attempt after murder by zombie horde and I am fairing quite well now) is running out of places to bury the bodies of unbelievers.... Like seriously I underestimated the number of places to store corpses... I'll have to start building mausoleums outside or something.  By the way we drop unbelievers into a large pit where they fall past every floor of the temple complex to their deaths... The cover for the pit is actually a retracting bridge set as a shrine to each god other than the great Bee Lord Ad...i have also made the little psychopaths all beekeepers getting wasted on mead all day. We have also managed to publish many religious texts on the phases of the moon and other night/sky themed works. I'll have a full write up on with submission I'm working out a aqueduct system for some indoor plumbing.

Oh and the entire temple is a bee hive.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2016, 10:49:45 pm »

Raltorish (Silvercrown)

The life and times of Udib Rockfortresses.

In most dwarven settlements, everything is underground.  The gods of the earth, the gods of war, fortresses, volcanoes, jewels, wealth... all of these are traditional, and communion with them is easily done within the deep tunnels.  But some dwarves worship other gods -- gods of the wind, the sky, the sun, the moon, the stars....  These dwarves are not always well understood by their peers.

This is the story of one such dwarf.  Udib Rockfortresses was a faithful worshipper of Tunur the Amber of Charcoal, the god of the sky, the wind, and painting.  After many years of unsuccessful attempts to convince the priests of The Glove of Winds to build a temple above ground, where she could properly commune with Tunur, she finally decided she would have to take matters into her own hands.

In the year 100, she set out into the mountains known as the Points of Weight, near the Glad Prairie, to build a temple.  She brought with her 6 of her friends: Solon, Uvash, Rakust, Ustuth, and 2 dwarves both named Vabôk.  None of the others were worshippers of Tunur, but such was Udib's charm, and so potent was the force of her devotion, that they were nevertheless willing to follow her into the wilds to help her achieve her dream.

Upon arrival, Uvash, Rakust and Ustuth took up the pick-axes and began digging a traditional suite of working and living areas.  Rakust was also named the manager and bookkeeper, and Udib was named the High Priest and military commander.  The others worked without the glory of titles: Solon the mason, Vabôk the planter, and Vabôk the blacksmith all took up axes to fell trees, and all dwarves (including Udib, who took pride in doing her portion of the work) shared the menial tasks of hauling, construction, wood burning, and so on.

Other dwarves came, over the following months and years.  Most of them did not share the worship of Tunur, but a few did.  One entire family of Tunur worshippers arrived in the Fall of 101: Nish and Degël, and their two children Zas and Ilral.  But regardless of their individual faiths, all dwarves who were willing to work on the temple were welcomed.  Two human mercenaries also joined the community, and were allowed to train with the temple's guards.

A few kobold thieves were scared off, but none of them ever managed to steal anything.  No goblins were ever spotted.

Construction of the temple proper was begun in the summer of 101.  The plateau's top surface was levelled, and the chalk and kaolinite were turned into blocks.  The chalk blocks were used in a modest defensive wall surrounding the grounds.  The kaolinite blocks were used to construct an above-ground tavern (not pictured).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the fall of 102, goblins conquered the capital of The Glove of Winds, and killed the monarch Logem Wheelmeetings.  The dwarves of Raltorish were the only remaining dwarven settlement of their civilization.  Udib was named the queen of The Glove of Winds.  Her feelings on this matter were mixed.  While she was enormously proud of her followers and friends, and their belief in her vision, she was also saddened.  She would never again be allowed to train in the military arts, or to wear her bronze armor.  A new suite of rooms were prepared for her, and an above-ground tomb.  Zuglar the blacksmith/priest, a worshipper of Tunur, and an admirer of Udib, had built several statues of Udib, which were placed into her rooms.  Honestly, the extravagance did not seem to matter much to Udib, who seemed to prefer to spend her time building the temple.

By the end of year 102, the temple's base was nearly complete, but the trees from the Glad Prairie were not numerous enough.

Some logs were imported from elven and dwarven traders.  After another year, additional trees grew large enough to harvest.

By this time, magma smelters had been constructed deep within the earth.  The mountain was rich with tetrahedrite, silver and gold veins, and the silver was mined and smelted, and the silver bars hauled up to the surface to begin construction of the crown.

The base was completed in the fall of 103, after an enormous number of logs were bought and charred.

With the base completed, the first level of the crown was also soon finished.

The 4 levels constituting the solid silver part of the crown were completed by the end of year 103.

In year 104, work was begun on the top of the crown.  Temporary scaffolding (stairs and floors) of kaolinite blocks was constructed to allow the dwarves to place the silver bars, reaching up to 7 levels above the top of the silver ring.

Udib worked tirelessly in the construction and deconstruction of the temple.  She was never happier than the times she could climb up into the sky and place a new block, dedicating each one to Tunur.

Work on the temple was completed in year 104, with the removal of the temporary scaffolding being the final step.

High Priestess Queen Udib Rockfortresses gave her life to this temple, in both the figurative and literal senses.  While deconstructing the western scaffolding, she slipped and fell, opening three arteries.  Dwarves rushed to her aid instantly, but it was too late.  Her reign was brief, but she will be remembered as long as Raltorish stands.

Save file.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:58:07 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2016, 11:48:03 pm »

Oh gosh, I forgot about this when I got back to my computer. What's happening? What do I need to do?
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2016, 07:48:37 am »

I'll have mine up later today. Still have a touch or two to build.
Oh gosh, I forgot about this when I got back to my computer. What's happening? What do I need to do?

What you need to do is make a write up on the story, and post a few pictures.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2016, 11:39:39 am »

Oh man, I got carried away doing non-magma stuff. 

As I was designing where my water generator 1z below the ocean shore, I end up a dig design for a stone level hospital.  During such dig, I found aquifer!

Well, this makes power generator easier in terms of security.  And it will be underground and away from the surface architecture.

I have 120 pairs of green glass tubes + enormous corkscrews, so I can start a magma pump stack instead a magma piston. 

But then, the position of the pump stack will need to differ from the piston pillar.  Or do both!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2016, 01:02:01 pm »

And thus my nefarious plan to win by default nears its culmination!
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2016, 01:35:59 pm »

And thus my nefarious plan to win by default nears its culmination!

Nope. Ites still 1336 wherevi am. I still have 10 hours!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2016, 04:03:10 pm »

Sadly, I won't be able to complete my temple. With classes starting up again and a huge load of bullshit involving getting my laptop repaired, I haven't had a chance to do the challenge. I did attempt an embark, but zombie ravens randomly appeared (in a non-evil biome) and killed off most of the embark team before I could get established.

For anyone curious, the temple was going to be devoted Tunur the Amber of Charcoal, god of the sky, wind and painting. It would have been a large dome structure in the middle of the freezing desert, opened to the sky and with mosaics decorating the floor.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2016, 04:18:20 pm »

For anyone curious, the temple was going to be devoted Tunur the Amber of Charcoal, god of the sky, wind and painting. It would have been a large dome structure in the middle of the freezing desert, opened to the sky and with mosaics decorating the floor.

I couldn't really think of a good way to represent "painting" in my temple.  I had briefly considered floor mosaics, but the structure was too small for that, really, and my pixel-drawing skills too poor.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2016, 04:23:02 pm »

That looks awesome, greycat! Way to go!

The temple to Ozor is progressing nicely, but I'm not going to try to call it finished today. Building the major structures with clear glass, cast (smoothed, engraved) obsidian, and ice, was an insane decision.

I'm happy enough with the progress that it's worth waiting to finish it completely rather than release it prematurely. If we opened it up to visitors now, some rebel would probably drop a bomb in an exhaust port and blow it up.

Sorry to the judges and everyone to make you wait!

Much of the exterior structural work is done and scaffolding is being torn down. Here's a year 11 (Spring 110) progress picture:

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2016, 07:49:57 pm »

THe dwarves of Admiredboards have worked hard. Over 12 years in the making, and the god of "Limur flickeredholes The gavel of pearls." He is seen as the god of wealth, mountains, caverns, earth, volcanes.

There is a great dwarf golem that stands in the caldera of a volano, holding a pick made out of bronze, three artifact statues on the top of its head.

He is nameless, build for the thousands who have been killed making their fortress, holding a pick in one hand, and having a keg of lava in the other, a sluice running to its friend, a large forgotten beast with a square shell, lava meant to be in the top of the shell. Note, there is also a golden scepter, the image of the civ, on the front of the iron golem.

The golem itself contains a temple in the left foot, and a bar in the right. Next level is the burial area, one for memorials, the other for sarcophogi.  Then comes the library, built to hold the knowledge of the mountain. Now comes the storage areas, filled with gems, coins, and gold, built to hold the wonderful riches of the mountain, so that dwarves may pray among them.

The statue garden on the feet of the dwarf contains the following statues:
Giant Cavetoad: Cave Creature
Ral Passedeboats: Dwarf who has won several footraces for the dwarven empire!
Asmel Focussacks: Our milita commander
Snail: Cave creature
Brown Recluse Spider: Our silk industry was based on these.
Giant Jumping Spider: Cave Creature
Sigun Buriedropes: Celebrates a hunting from a dwarf. Part of a necessary evil.
Oceleot man: Species found in the caverns
SCerol Thrownfortresses: Kiled by zombie albatross here on the site. A reminder of what all of us 
catten gearedboxes: Surrounded by brown albatrosses. Because It amuses me.
Solon ownerpaddled: Created in the mountain itself.
Dwarf and dwarves: To memorialize the named dwarves and dwarf groups who have died for the kingdom.
Statue of Dwarves: Our fortress founding
Kumil: created an artifact

The massive aardvark is where the dwarves have moved to, the first level as storage, the second is the workshops, and the workshops. There is an open spot, before the lava holding tank begins.

Save:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11701

However, he is joined by another.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:05:56 am by SimRobert2001 »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2016, 03:09:26 am »

Alas, I can't finished a submission tonight. 

My peaceful construction ended by autumn of year 104 with troll and goblin siege, a mountain titan, and a were-creature:

Not an excuse, but I'm only 1/3rd of the way to building the magma pump stack.

Here's a glimpse of my 3x3 embark mega-temple (winter 104):

ƒtrid the Youth of Brilliance
deity: metals, fire, the sun, the dawn

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2016, 05:12:36 am »

Honeyclusters: The Sticky-Sweet Cloister of Moons!

In the Year 100, the group The Night of Hexes embarked from the Torches of Fording to found the fortress Honeyclusters, where they would build a great temple to Ad, Honey Bee Deity of the Night, the Moon, and the Sky, called The Sticky-Sweet Cloister of Moons.

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11704

IMGUR Album/Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/ULT0X

Ad, Honey-Bee God of the Night, Moon, and Sky: Ad is depicted in all his magnificence on the temple floor at the base of the hive, accented in gold and silver and surrounded by gold statues decorated with Moonstones, Wax Opals, and Honey Yellow Beryls.

The Sticky-Sweet Cloister of Moons: The temple is a 23-story bee hive - a huge swath of earth has been excavated around it to display it in all its glory.

Beehive Temple (Exterior)

Description of a statue of Ad

Temple with the Moon and Night Sky

Exterior map view for scale, 4x4 Embark

Temple close-up showing base: The hive is too grand to be easily pictured in Armok Vision, in this shot the top section is truncated in order to show the base.

BEES IN THE TRAP!: Ad's favored bees lovingly housed in masterfully designed solid gold hives in a ring on the second floor of the temple, overlooking the mosaic of Ad himself.

When you go after honey with a balloon, the great thing is not to let the bees know you're coming. --Winnie The Pooh:
The honey offering to the great Bee-God is stored on the 3rd floor of the temple in solid gold jugs on a clear glass floor overlooking the mosaic.    Thirty-eight Giant War Grizzly Bears encircle the room on gold chains, guarding the honey stores against potential threats.

Front Gate Fortifications: News of the bounties of Ad has spread far and wide, bringing the unwanted attention of Goblin hordes riding atop their wicked Beak Dogs with terrible Trolls storming ahead to break down the gates.  The Elite Crossbowdwarves of The Night of Hexes have repelled their many attacks, killing well over a thousand of the invaders so far.

Honeyclusters Living Area: When not working hard to improve the hive and temple, the worker bees of Honeyclusters like to relax at the local tavern, The Heroic Dumpling, or peruse the tomes in the Furious Sanctuary library.

Much fun was had in the creation of this ridiculous thing.  Didn't get a chance to complete (or even start) half of the sub-projects I had in mind, but here's what I managed to come up with so far at least.  Hope everyone else had fun too -- Sanctume, SimRobert2001, gchristopher, and greycat's temples are looking super awesome and I'm excited to see the ones yet to be posted.

--nomad_delta

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:24:13 am by nomad_delta »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2016, 05:58:38 am »

Thr only excuse I have for not making my golrm bigger is that my map was running out if iron.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13