Tilesets!
- 8 (50%)
ASCII only!
- 4 (25%)
I don't care
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Dwarven Temple Contest!  (Read 21267 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Temple Contest!
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2016, 09:30:24 am »

Nomad, that's just incredible.  I can't fathom how you did all of that in 2 weeks, especially acquiring the giant grizzly bears.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2016, 10:05:42 am »

Good work everybody. These all look great!

For the time extension discussed earlier, anything that's posted by midnight tonight (according to the forums) will be judged, for anyone who's almost done. If you miss the deadline, you won't be able to compete in the contest, but still post it! This thread is also about seeing everyones cool temples, just because you won't win doesn't mean you shouldn't post.

@SimRobert2001: I can't see your images. Does anyone else have this problem?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:33:53 am by TheCheeseMaker »
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2016, 10:07:25 am »

SimRobert's imgur link is missing the .png extension.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2016, 11:07:28 am »

SimRobert's imgur link is missing the .png extension.

Fixed. Not sure why thr second one superimposed itself like that.

Duck Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2016, 11:28:59 am »

Crap I was hoping to have this uploaded but my laptop power supply had the wire break... And I am in the middle of the ocean... Good news is I have been able to sacrifice an extension cord to the gods of electronics and make a new power cord. Bad news is its more of the same that delta posted with a beehive temple... Although my entrance setup is different as dug my hole different.  I don't have any war grizzlies. I'll be testing the cord when I get off shift. Liking the temples up so far.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2016, 12:09:04 pm »

Crap I was hoping to have this uploaded but my laptop power supply had the wire break... And I am in the middle of the ocean... Good news is I have been able to sacrifice an extension cord to the gods of electronics and make a new power cord. Bad news is its more of the same that delta posted with a beehive temple... Although my entrance setup is different as dug my hole different.  I don't have any war grizzlies. I'll be testing the cord when I get off shift. Liking the temples up so far.

So? You guys probably have mine beat.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2016, 03:39:56 pm »

Nomad, that's just incredible.  I can't fathom how you did all of that in 2 weeks, especially acquiring the giant grizzly bears.
The elves bring a fair selection. Giant black bears were the best thing the northern elves had.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2016, 04:13:48 pm »

The elves bring a fair selection. Giant black bears were the best thing the northern elves had.

It's true, I was buying most of the "interesting" animals brought by the elves to place in a Zoo on the same floor as the tavern.  Was just dumb luck that they brought a male Giant Grizzly Bear to match the female I'd already purchased from an earlier caravan.  Other than that I spent a lot of time mass-designating huge amounts of digging/building and just letting DF run in the background for a loooong time while I read books or did other things, occasionally stopping by to deal with goblin sieges and such.  In retrospect I should have gone with a smaller embark, maybe 3x3 -- the 4x4 embark with all the surface digging was murdering my FPS toward the end.

Greycat I'm really digging the architecture on your temple, those 3d arches are kinda amazeballs.  Hopefully you're better at construction planning than I am, I killed a lot of my miners and haulers due to unintentional cave-ins and other construction mishaps while building the hive.  I should have taken a picture of the endless corridors of coffins and memorial stones in the crypts. :P

Sanctume Your temple is huge and I really like the design -- is it really extending way out over the ocean?!

Duck Slayer heh yeah I was kind of thinking it was likely a lot of other people would pick Ad as the deity of choice, it was one of the more interesting/unique options I thought.  I saw your post a couple days ago and had the same "aw crap, same theme" moment.  Hope you find a working power cord so you're able to post, though, I think it'll be cool to see a different take on the same theme.  You said you're out on the ocean right now, like on a ship? Navy or something?

SimRobert2001: Aw man yours looks like a whole city on the surface, I'll have to fire up your save, I want to see what it looks like from top-down.  Something I discovered in ArmokVision that I thought helped with taking pictures: the [ and ] keys cycle through different times of day (position of the sun) so you can experiment with different lighting to get the best shot.  I bet yours looks cool in Stonesense too, you can press F5 or Ctrl-F5 to export screenshots in that.

gchristopher: it looks like you're building yours right over the river delta? is it frozen or is that armokvision rendering weird? the big black structure looks so menacing. :D

--nomad_delta

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2016, 04:47:25 pm »

-Nomad: I know. I did cycle through to the day. I think I had the camera enter a shadow. And believe it or not, there's quite a bit of green space. I was on an island, and only had the dwarves to trade items. Melting wasn't really THAT big of an option, not without taking decades, or using exploits.

I actually got into the single digit FPS for most of it. Thats why the forgotten beast is made out of earthenware bricks. Other than rock, which wasn't thematic enough, I actually made the basin for the lava pit out of metals: Bronze, copper, gold, some silver, and the rest of the iron. (there were like 400 bars) But, the sluice i was going to use to fill it actually kept overflowing, dropping onto the windmills that power the 16 z level pump stack, which runs through the left side of the statue, and through the arm before it enters the keg. The pump section is made out of (i think) Dolomite, and iron, both magma safe materials. The keg is steel, i think. The arms are copper, the pick cherry wood, and bronze. YOu should see it in armok vision on the highest setting. It just kept clipping because its actually inside the caldera, sitting on the lava that I floored over.

Frankly, I love the way I made the support structure for the forgotten beast. 9 legs, but just before the main body, there's a hashtag shaped hallway system to make it look like it can actually support the weight.

A word of warning: It takes me several minutes to load the file. There's a LOT of objects.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:14:43 pm by SimRobert2001 »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2016, 05:01:25 pm »

gchristopher: it looks like you're building yours right over the river delta? is it frozen or is that armokvision rendering weird? the big black structure looks so menacing. :D
Thanks! The river is frozen, and there's clear glass walls/floors forming a tunnel over the top of it. There are plans for that (currently) frozen river.

I can't wait to finish this insane challenge and go look at everyone else's projects.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:04:29 pm by gchristopher »

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2016, 05:09:56 pm »

Thanks! The river is frozen, and there's clear glass walls/floors forming a tunnel over the top of it. There are plans for that (currently) frozen river.

I can't wait to finish this insane challenge and go look at everyone else's projects.

It's frozen *and* there's clear glass over it? So cool. :D

This is by far the biggest project I have ever attempted in DF. Definitely learned a lot in the process. Had never tried beekeeping before either, it's trickier than I thought.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2016, 05:22:01 pm »

Sanctume Your temple is huge and I really like the design -- is it really extending way out over the ocean?!
--nomad_delta

Yeah, frozen winter, so I dug out the ice, then constructed the walls and floors.  The ocean is a haunted biome with a few corpses spawning sometimes.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2016, 05:54:31 pm »

--nomad_delta

Yeah, frozen winter, so I dug out the ice, then constructed the walls and floors.  The ocean is a haunted biome with a few corpses spawning sometimes.

Fun! All I got was a few osprey corpses from an adjacent tile. I'd be minding my own business, and suddenly i'd get the message "xxx has been interrupted!" I'd zoom over, and find some dammed buzzard flying high above the world, my part-time army not able to hit the bugger. It would fall down, get killed, and everyone would go back to work.

Oh, and full disclosure: There was one that was stuck in mid air. LIke, literally stuck. He had completely bugged out, and every bearded bastard in the fort was just sitting htere, waiting for it to come down, until they were dying of thirst. I had to use the exterminate command to get rid of him. They were there for months.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2016, 08:51:53 am »

Greycat I'm really digging the architecture on your temple, those 3d arches are kinda amazeballs.  Hopefully you're better at construction planning than I am, I killed a lot of my miners and haulers due to unintentional cave-ins and other construction mishaps while building the hive.

I had one dwarf go to the hospital for a broken foot + ankle (but no nerve damage), and one dwarf dead (the friggin' Queen!).  She killed herself by standing on the stairs that she was deconstructing, instead of standing below them like everyone else.  I saw it right at the very last moment.  I was like, "Hey, why is she--" ... "Crap."

I also had a few blocks fall, but they didn't seem to cause any injuries.  Probably just luck.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2016, 09:17:04 am »

Oh man, I'm still placing green glass tubes and corkscrews.  I need to make a few more after 120 pairs were set down. 

I read that it's a good idea to put down an extra horizontal axles every other level to prevent some chain deconstruction and it seems to help. 

And of course I am OCD about leaving debris (stones / discarded clothing) within the pump stack housings.

Then, I realize that porcelain bricks from kaolinite are white in color.  I should have made kaolinite blocks instead of clay bricks (porcelain) to get a red color.

I increased my army to 20 melee and 10 xbow, all male.  I have less than 100 unassigned bedrooms, and only 4 assigned bedrooms.  And some less than 20 dorms.  My current pop is 155. 

So the next design would be housing, and I am considering to make surface, above ground apartments that will fit in a sun-ray design.  But this might prove the downfall if a siege happens and civilians are outside the walls. 

I'll think on it, and perhaps surround everything with magma moat when my pump-stack works.  Perhaps wait for next winter's freeze and obsidianize my way in  creating the moat walls.

But next step is to dry test the pump stack.  Current Power Generator capacity is 800.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13