Tilesets!
- 8 (50%)
ASCII only!
- 4 (25%)
I don't care
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Dwarven Temple Contest!  (Read 21001 times)

Duck Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Temple Contest!
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2016, 09:25:10 pm »

Duck Slayer heh yeah I was kind of thinking it was likely a lot of other people would pick Ad as the deity of choice, it was one of the more interesting/unique options I thought.  I saw your post a couple days ago and had the same "aw crap, same theme" moment.  Hope you find a working power cord so you're able to post, though, I think it'll be cool to see a different take on the same theme.  You said you're out on the ocean right now, like on a ship? Navy or something?

A ship yes, Navy no, and foreign vessel... Which apparently hosed my laptop charger entirely,  i tried rebuilding it from scratch (240v ship power fluctuates a lot) ... Gonna have to wait till I get to shore and buy a new one. I attempted to solder new wires but I guess when the wires initially broke they shorted and I have some !Fun! Burn spots on the power supply PCB... Meant to post sooner but Internet just came back... The worst part is I have to deal with a week of no laptop which means no electronic entertainment until I'm back on shore. Gonna haven to resort to book technology for entertainment.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2016, 09:44:49 pm »

This all looks cool.

(Edit: Responded to the last post on the previous page.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:55:27 am by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2016, 03:34:00 am »

The dwarves of Frostmires have completed the external structural work for the temple! After waiting out a siege because I didn't want to clean up the mess of dead invaders, the dwarves have started work on the interior digging and construction and the .... um.... interactive portions of the temple.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2016, 10:23:25 am »

My dry test of the magma pump stack fail because 800 power is not enough, so I am adding 4 more waterwheel; and maybe increase to 4 more later for a max capacity of 1600 power. 

I forgot I have tetrahedrite, so I smelted those for coppers and silver which I promptly order more bolts.

I found hematite, but it is mixed in with the aquifers / haunter ocean biomes, so I did not dig any yet--don't want any flooding fun (yet).

I decided to build a NE sun-ray to have a few 2x2 bedrooms fit within a diagonal hallway.  It took about 2 hours desiging this.

Then another goblin, troll, beak dog seige happens in the beginning of year 105.  I lost 2 soldiers.  I split the siege, part to the N sun-ray entry /trade depot.  Some to the W sun-ray bridge, and the remainders fled soon after. 

To bad I had no magma yet.  And yet, I am already thinking I should extend the magma-moat around my NE sun-ray.  Then the rooms will have gem windows overlooking the magma and future sieges.  It would be a risk against jumping / flying building destroyers to break these windows above the magma moat in the future, but think of the view the 2x2 rooms will offer!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2016, 03:15:00 pm »

I'm really enjoying this.  Every submission I've seen so far is impressive.  I'll be interested to see the completed structures of each submission.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2016, 01:22:59 am »

Pull the lever.

That magical, dwarfy, moment when things are built and it's finally time to put it all to the test. The four pinnacle towers of Ozor are built, the river is roofed over, access to the central temple is open and the curtain wall is complete.

Let's see if it holds magma!

Here's a larger picture of the temple complex before the beginning of the big magma pour.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The lever is pulled, and away we go! Here's the first few picture of the process.

So, that's why the river had to be roofed over with clear glass. It will form the entrance to the temple. The curtain wall at the front of the valley is actually a dam.

It's screaming along at 6 FPS now. Soon I'll find out if the grand design to fill the valley with magma and have a temple reaching up out of the fiery lake works!

Edit: a couple months later, and it's still going. Locating magma flow for the input source was worth the extra effort.

As a progress report, the artifact lever at the center of the temple is not yet connected to anything fun. There's still a lot to build for that to be complete. I'm happy that I finally found an excuse to flood the surface with magma, though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:12:14 am by gchristopher »

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2016, 03:29:03 pm »

Pull the lever.
So, that's why the river had to be roofed over with clear glass. It will form the entrance to the temple. The curtain wall at the front of the valley is actually a dam.

It's screaming along at 6 FPS now. Soon I'll find out if the grand design to fill the valley with magma and have a temple reaching up out of the fiery lake works!

Edit: a couple months later, and it's still going. Locating magma flow for the input source was worth the extra effort.

gchristopher this is awesome! Is your entire surface just a mess of fire and smoke now?  Also, the entrance is going to be through the clear glass tunnel over the frozen river but under the magma? it'll be like one of those aquarium tunnels like this (http://www.mattsilkblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Tunnel.jpg) except with magma crabs and fire imps instead of sharks. :D

I can imagine what all the fire and smoke is doing to your FPS though, I wish you and your poor overheating CPU best of luck in your efforts.

--nomad_delta

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 29, 2016, 04:06:15 pm »

gchristopher this is awesome! Is your entire surface just a mess of fire and smoke now?
Thanks! :) Prior to magma flooding, the dwarves picked every plant and cut every tree that might catch fire. Then they built dirt roads over most of the area to reset any sapling growth. (The third test run had a tree grow at the last minute, catch fire, collapse onto some fort structures below, then flood the underground service fort with magma in slow motion. It was !!great!!) So fire and smoke aren't really happening, after careful preparation.

I think many local populations have gone extinct, a sad consequence it being a small world, but it's made above-ground work safe and uninterrupted.

Also, the entrance is going to be through the clear glass tunnel over the frozen river but under the magma? it'll be like one of those aquarium tunnels like this (http://www.mattsilkblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Tunnel.jpg) except with magma crabs and fire imps instead of sharks. :D
Yep! That's the plan! Hopefully FPS will support thawing the river UNDER the top crust of ice, too. So it'll be magma overhead the clear glass tunnel, a thin layer of ice to walk on, and water under that. Seemed like a good tribute to a god of dreams and nightmares. And ... crap, you're right. I need to start trying to capture magma crabs to put in the artificial fire lake. I wonder if that would work?

I can imagine what all the fire and smoke is doing to your FPS though, I wish you and your poor overheating CPU best of luck in your efforts.
I think the bulk of the FPS hit is from temperature updates from falling/moving magma. I'm hoping once all the magma reaches 7/7 and any excess flows off down the relief drain, it'll stop hurting FPS at all. It might even help a little by reducing the tree-growing area on the embark. It'll be Science!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2016, 01:30:51 am »

Success! There was only minor overflow and FPS rebounded right back up into the 50's once everything settled. The whole pouring process took about half a year.

Looks like our intrepid Ozor cultists will get to keep working! Only one or two "big" pieces remain to finish the temple and open it up to visitors.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:38:59 am by gchristopher »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2016, 02:36:11 am »

Good job!  Wowza...

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2016, 03:02:36 am »

Nice.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2016, 11:45:19 am »

I have obtained an excuse to flood half the world in the next succession game I play! Thank you very much!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2016, 04:33:45 pm »

I have obtained an excuse to flood half the world in the next succession game I play! Thank you very much!

And the glorious city of Atlantis sank beneath the waves... of magma.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2016, 10:55:26 pm »

How is the judging coming along?

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2016, 12:28:44 am »

Oops! Sorry guys, I completely forgot to talk about how judging should be done.  To start out with, here are the temples that met the deadline:

greycat's Temple
SimRobert2001's Temple
nomad_delta's Temple

Sanctume said this temple wasn't completely finished, but he posted it before the deadline, so here you go:
Sanctume's Temple

gchristopher, if you post an update within two days from now in a similar vein as those above, you can be scored too, but with a fairly heavily reduced score (I'm thinking a 20% decrease).  Sanctume, if you want to post your finished temple too, you can be graded similarly.  If not, we'll go with the one you already have posted.

Now, about the judging:

After the entries have been posted, each judge will look over them and rate the temples from 0-5 in the four categories:

1. Relation to deity
-How well does the temple relate to the deity it supposedly represents?
-For example, a temple for a water deity would score high if it was built in an ocean with waterfalls raining down from all sides, but poorly if it was built inside a volcano made entirely from metal.

2. Difficulty to build
-Pretty self-explanatory.
-In this case, a temple built in an ocean or in a volcano would both score pretty high.

3. Architecture
-Do you use only rectangular rooms for your temple, or is the overall shape and construction of the temple more creative?
- A water or volcano temple could score anything here, it just depends on the creativity of the design.

4. Aesthetics
-Basically everything that's not temple shape. Color, instrument placement, etc. all go here.
-This is basically the 'other' category. What's in your temple that's distinguishing?

After each judge looks over the temples, they send their scores to me. I will average the scores and post the results soon after.

For each of the four (maybe five) temples, rate them using the above categories with a score of 0-5, with a final score of 20 at the end.  I said I would average them, but I think, since there are five judges, that it would be easier to simply add the score together to get a total final score out of 100.

Anyway, rate each of the four or five temples, then at the end describe why you gave the temple the score you did.  Be as detailed and thorough as you feel you need to be.  If you feel like you need to check the save and write a full paragraph explanation for each category in each temple, by all means go for it.  If you think you can adequately judge the temple based on just the post, then write a few sentences to describe your overall decision, you can do that to.

Whatever you choose, try to complete your judging and post your decisions by next Sunday (although if it's taking too long we can extend it).

Overall, though, these temples were great guys!  The amount of detail and effort put into these is amazing, especially with the two week time limit.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13