Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any tips for an aspiring thrower?  (Read 5068 times)

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
Any tips for an aspiring thrower?
« on: December 29, 2015, 07:17:06 am »

I've just started Adventure Mode not long ago, and have gotten acquainted with things fairly quickly, but I can't tell if I'm doing throwing correctly or not. I've noticed that I don't even get a message about whether my attack even hit or missed, so I wonder if I'm doing anything wrong, or if I just need my thrower skill up higher to actually hit anything further than 4 spaces away  :P

-When aiming a thrown object, should I aim directly at the opponent's location, or should I aim beyond them, like when trying to jump-slam into an enemy?

-Are there any situations where an enemy can't be struck by thrown objects, like when they are prone or sent flying?

-Any special techniques regarding throwing? Only thing i know is that heavier is better, but I have not found much else.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips for an aspiring thrower?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:12:19 am »

If you don't hit a creature (or construct), you won't even get a message telling you what you threw.

- You should aim directly at the enemy, but if they're positioned orthagonally or diagonally, you could just aim that direction and it'll fly to the range you're capable of.

- They can't be hit by anything while midair, unless they're flying under their own power. Then hitting them, no matter how lightly, will immediately deliver the full force of every z-level between them and the ground.

- Denser is better, and gneiss is the densest rock type I've been able to pick up off the ground, at least on the surface. But silver spears and pikes are very good, as are silver bolts.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 08:28:27 am »

If you're looking for ammo for grinding throwing then you can fill any container (the bigger the better) with water by "I"nteracting with it near water tiles and then just throwing water out of that container forever. This is consequently also the best way to have water around with you so that you never thirst, if a rather broken and silly one.

oh_no

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 04:59:04 pm »

Swords and axes are my favourite weapons, they can cut your target when they hit takeing off limbs.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 05:09:46 pm »

I saw somebody mention elsewhere that stacks of coins make for surprisingly effective ammunition. How does one throw an entire stack versus a single coin, or am I mistaken?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:12:09 pm by Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 12:24:02 am »

Throw any stack, and one item will be thrown from it at a time.

cdru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 01:01:28 am »

I saw somebody mention elsewhere that stacks of coins make for surprisingly effective ammunition. How does one throw an entire stack versus a single coin, or am I mistaken?
In earlier version i was breaking bones with coins.Was it me who mentioned about throwing coins?

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 01:45:01 am »

When a weapon is thrown and hits its target, one of its attacks will be chosen at random to calculate damage. It's as likely the target will get pommel struck or flat slapped as they are to get slashed or stabbed. Most weapons have more flavor attacks than they do practical ones; with a  battleaxe, you have a one in three chance of dealing significant damage if you even hit in the first place. However...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sometimes, less is more. Make of that what you will.

I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 03:56:19 am »

I'm pretty sure "stacks" here is referring to the fact that at some point (is this still possible?) coins could be 'p'ut inside anything, including other coins.
A stack of coins would then be throwing coins with a bunch of coins inside them.

oh_no

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 03:54:55 am »

After grinding up to Legendary Thrower, I have to say that my most effective improvised weaponry are Spears, Picks, and Coins.

Spears can fracture bones, and have occasionally pierced organs. Not sure if embedded weapons effect enemies in any way, but it's nice to visualize it. Picks very often break bones, and have caused body parts to explode into gore on a number of instances. Coins are never gonna outright kill or maim anybody, but they have broken bones with frightening regularity for me. Perfect to halt a fleeing opponent or soften up a deadly foe, and their abundance and light weight means you can never want for ammunition.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 04:03:57 am »

Embedded weapons count as weight, so if it was something heavy it can slow them down (why am I going slow? Oh right I forgot about that silver morning-star lodged in my arm). Also you can grab onto them as a wrestling move. They can stop the wounds they make from bleeding, not sure if that is completely or only somewhat. But I have almost bled to death from pulling arrows out of my chest.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 05:15:21 am »

Coins are basically tiny shurikens.

Obviously using blowdarts, bolts and arrows is also useful, as they can actually kill - you don't need a crossbow/bow/blowgun, just throw the ammo like you'd throw darts at a wall. I'm fairly sure coins can kill too but I haven't seen it yet. Knives, like the ones villagers use, and daggers are pretty good as well from my experience - they kill quite often or atleast knock people out - knife throws to the head that get jammed in the wound are also incredibly satisfying.

Honestly whenever I go thrower I just grab a bunch of random weapons from mead halls or warehouses and hold two shields. With high enough thrower skill you can throw any type of weapon and it'd still be effective.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 05:26:54 am »

You do, clearly, need quite high skill for it to work at all, however.

I've been having issues with the thrower grind macro, incidentally.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 06:59:36 am »

Even with not-very-high amounts of skill it's still pretty effective for debilitating enemies and potential victims. Once they're knocked out it's just a matter of putting them in a chokehold and strangling them. Or taking their own weapon and killing them with it, that's probably a more metal and dorfy way to go about it.

Not to mention the lucky throws you can still get that instantly kill someone, i.e knife jamming inside the head and tearing the brain, or a flying pickaxe severing the head, or a spear tearing the nerves in the neck.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 07:52:20 pm »

I mostly have really bad luck with aim.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: [1] 2