Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any tips for an aspiring thrower?  (Read 5031 times)

oh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips for an aspiring thrower?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 03:20:20 pm »

I'm fairly sure coins can kill too but I haven't seen it yet.

They definitely can -- I very regularly pick a thrower + misc. object focused build and only carry coins for weapons, and it works remarkably well.

And high skill level isn't even necessary as far as I've been able to tell. I used to be able to get one-hit kill-shots with coins from some distance with only novice thrower. It was so incredibly broken. I haven't tried in this version so maybe the reason people are posting about how hard it is to do this stuff is because it's balanced now.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 03:53:45 pm »

I managed to kill an FB with one, but that was after throwing a bunch of other weapon and objects, including other coins. I wasn't nearly a Master at the time though, so it should work better with someone who focuses on the skills more.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 12:11:37 am »

I have had great luck throwing daggers and carving knifes. Makes one feel incredibly badass.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:13:37 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 01:49:52 am »

It's part of my kisat dur build, spamming a bunch of knapping/throwing, spam wrestle animals or unconscious foes, if I'm using a weapon I strap them down, remove the weapon, two items of clothing, and my shield so they are in the same hand. Wear the clothing to free that hand, then bumrush someone, grab their weapon with one hand, body with your arm, when you land and they're flying through the air you pick someone and chuck the weapon at them.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 09:39:52 am »

Does misc object really have an effect on throwing? If that were the case, then thrown weapons damage would be dependent on skill in that weapon.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 10:24:32 am »

Don't think so.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 11:18:06 am »

I got a native platinum gizzard stone that usually knocks a fleeing/flying opponent out, but my large silver makes kills more often. It also opens arteries, so if it doesn't kill in one, they may bleed out before I have to turn attention to them.

EDIT: I knew that Rocs could have native platinum and gold, but I've since found that all alligators and ostriches (presumably crocs and emus,) will have a gizzard stone of a random material, and can have native platinum. And because there are more of them than Rocs, you can farm them.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:15:47 pm by Uzu Bash »

Redman the Communist

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:LIGHT] [SPHERE:HEALING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 03:50:23 pm »

I have had great luck throwing daggers and carving knifes. Makes one feel incredibly badass.

This. In my own experiences with throwing, knives/daggers seem to be able to one-shot anything not wearing a helmet (at least at a high thrower level). If you really want to get levels fast, collect an infinite amount of rocks, knap them all to sharp, and throw them at a wall over and over, you will get legendary in no time at all. Then once you are a legend in the arts of throwing things, go purchase/steal/find a ludicrous number of knives, and then challenge mighty beasts to battle, and laugh as their brain gets torn asunder by the knife storm. Small animal corpses work much better against undead or NOT_LIVING creatures (such as Bronze Body Builder Bros), since they do blunt damage and have a chance to knock their heads off.

Thanks, and have !!FUN!!
A light cannot fade by darkness
it will shine even in the darkest corners of the world.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 07:28:28 pm »

After more adventuring and testing, I've discovered that Coins seem to be the Whips of the Thrown Object world. I tested thrown weapons versus Coins against high Dodge targets, and the coins hit with drastically higher frequency than the weapons, and also cause bone shattering injuries with alarming ease.

I also used some Steel Bolts against a Bronze Colossi, and was able to take it out exclusively with Bolts in 1/4th of the time that it took me to kill another Colossi by beating its head in with a Steel Shield and Pick.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 07:08:09 am »

My legendary Thrower uses only arrows and bolts successfully. Hits almost every time, and 90% of hits against a living opponents are instant drop (due to unconsciousness from pain) or even kill. He can fight every enemy, including angels, rather safely - through dodging helps. Knives, other objects, are much worse. Coins are also good, but arrows seem to be better.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 11:32:39 am »

I like riding wooden minecarts while throwing copper coins. riding a minecart is lots of !!FUN!!. do not crash into anything or you will regret it.
riding a minecart you can run away and throw at the same time.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 07:38:47 pm »

Is there a function to repeat actions for training purposes rn only macros?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 07:56:23 pm »

Is there a function to repeat actions for training purposes rn only macros?
Pressing the same key sequence again should do it. And again.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 08:53:07 pm »

Anything less onerous than that?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 09:55:04 pm »

If you have dfhack you could write a lua script. It will run while tasking out of the window.
Pages: 1 [2]