Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: krenshala's 13x13 tileset [square, plain ASCII] (now with screenshots!)  (Read 11895 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since I tend to play DF on my small notebook, I have been wanting a tileset that was smaller than the 15x15 (Talryth) that I had been using, that was both square and easy to read despite the smaller size.  Having a couple of slow days at work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I managed to get this set created. (Hint: Start at the bottom of the image and work up when making your own! its much less frustrating :D )  I thought I would share this in case there are other folks using a 1366x768 or similar display that wanted something relatively clear and easy to read and yet small enough to give a decent display of the map, all at the same time.  This should also work quite well on large displays for showing ridiculous amounts of the map at full resolution.

To that end, I present krenshala's 13x13 tileset*:

Screenshots:

Main Menu

Embark Finder

This is one big pixel-art image (made with GIMP for those that wondered).  The font is my own, made to be both readable and fit in the self imposed size restrictions.

I hope those of you that try it find it enjoyable.

Previous Version**:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

* This is version three of the tileset (2016-07-02).  I've updated pretty much all the letters, though most are only minor changes (such as position on the tile).

** This is version two of the tileset (2015-02-17).  I've updated a few letters (D, P, and R), some punctuation (! and ?, normal and inverted), and replaced the three diagonal line tiles (left side, fifth row up).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:50:37 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: krenshala's 13x13 tileset [square, plain ASCII]
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 02:13:02 pm »

For the (probably few) people using this, if you think anything needs to be adjusted let me know.  I'm debating whether I need to tweak the D character to make it more obviously not an O.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:42:46 am »

I have a candid shot or two of how things look with my color palette.

I dig the way the little punctuation marks work in the unknown ether and cavern floors, but the diagonal stripes have those SS-lightning jaggies and the contrast between walls and floors has trouble with ice.

It's good to see more fonts that aren't just scaled up by the power of two.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 01:34:07 pm »

I've been debating on the jagged looking corners for the diagonal filled tiles.  It ends up that way because its an odd numbered tile size, but the diagonals lend themselves to even numbered tiling.  With some minor effort I could probably fix it so they aligned properly, however, the jagged bits do point out the corners so you can tell how many tiles it is.

The walls and floors bit with ice is, I think, going to be a problem with most tilesets due to how it is set up.  I know I've had similar problems with sand/loam in other sets.  With ice specifically, it appears to be due to the fact that the inside of an ice wall is just the darker of the diagonal tiles, while the natural floors are one of the lighter shades.  Since I've decided to "fix" the D character (too easily mistaken for an O still), I'll see if I can get the diagonals to have more contrast with each other.

* krenshala has claimed a GNU Image Manupilation Program, and begins to work furiously... *  :D

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 04:36:19 pm »

Updated version of the tileset is in the OP, and I have (finally) added a couple screenshots using the default color-scheme.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, I noticed that you're active. I was wanting to make sure that your okay with your tileset being included in Lazy Newb Packs.

A 14-tile wide is the max that will fit on a 2015 MacBook without any tricks to make Dwarf Fortress take advantage of the Retina display, so the your 13x13 tileset would be pretty good fit for it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

jecowa, i'll message you as well to make sure you see it, but I do not mind at all if you use my tileset.  I've just uploaded a new version that makes things a bit easier to see so you'll probably want to use that (the non-spoiler version).  If you want to include both feel free.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the wider letters in the new version.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: krenshala's 13x13 tileset [square, plain ASCII] (now with screenshots!)
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 04:35:38 pm »

Yeah, I ended up redoing most of them.  If there are any other characters that people feel aren't clear enough please let me know and I'll see what I can do to improve them.  I'm still debating if I've made enough of a difference on the D vs O.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 12:18:06 pm »

Finally remembered to update the DFWiki Tileset Repository with the latest version.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 01:51:47 pm »

I've updated the tileset image at the top of the thread with a minor update I just uploaded today (both here and the Tileset Repository on the DF Wiki).  The primary "fix" was making the D and O easier to differentiate, though there are a few other minor changes.

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 01:06:42 am »

looks very nice and clean! I'll give it a go, thanks for the effort!