Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrating the DF server  (Read 12970 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Migrating the DF server
« on: December 29, 2015, 03:31:40 pm »

My old bay12games.com server is on its way out, and over the next few days, the data will be transferred over to a new one.  Aside from the typical DNS propagation stuff, the bug tracker will also be off until the move is complete.  I'll probably need to reconfigure it etc., but that shouldn't take long once they give me the green light.  So if you were logged in and wondered why all the bug reports vanished, it's nothing to worry about!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrating the DF server
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 07:55:03 am »

Hopefully this will reduce the amount of hiccups the website (server) occasionally has. :-)

oh_no

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 05:53:24 am »

Of course, my OCD spots a text bug right now.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 09:42:42 am »

I was wondering -- whereabouts will the server(s) be hosted/moved to?

I have a fairly elaborate filtering and block list due to nefarious things online invading my own fortress--or at least it feels like it.

I've found that with some Azure and Google hosting, I can't permit some things without permitting things I want blocked.

There's obviously no need for you to be specific with the details; i can make do if you point me in the right direction (or, I guess, I can wait and see what happens and where things show up!)  but I can be as perfectionist about my network connectivity as I am about ignorantly causing my fortress to burst into flames due to operator error and designs that look good on paper. 

As such, if I need to assign my manager to access-list duties, as overseer of my network, I need to know if I have to lock myself into a little room and start managing!  I am near legendary at discussing dull details.

(I work as a network engineer/the dwarf's path finding and resource utilization has always been a side interest to me because they're like a flood of packets in an unoptimized network with all sorts of bandwidth constraints.  I have to apply quality of dwarven service, priority queuing, marking traffic based on isolated logical areas like burrows, limit connectivity from various places, and carefully open ports on my adamantium firewall or otherwise the demons of internet advertising or worse will burst forth.  Although, it is rare for my network hardware to tantrum spiral, unless you consider network loops to be similar--everything crashes, and quickly.)

igless

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 04:46:30 pm »

Of course, my OCD spots a text bug right now.
Of course I keep getting reproducible crashes as soon as the tracker goes offline...
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 05:03:47 pm »

This is just the server for the game downloads, dev etc. and the tracker, so the forum isn't affected.  I won't know more about where it is until the move actually works -- right now the first option seems to be in the process of not working, but it might end up working too.  How long it takes will depend on the replies of support etc.  Might be a few more days than anticipated.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 11:16:48 pm »

I have to apply quality of dwarven service, priority queuing, marking traffic based on isolated logical areas like burrows, limit connectivity from various places, and carefully open ports on my adamantium firewall or otherwise the demons of internet advertising or worse will burst forth.  Although, it is rare for my network hardware to tantrum spiral.
Do you mind if I sig this?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 03:17:17 am »

Nameservers should be switching over slowly now.  The bug tracker is live on the new server, so it should come up for people as the day goes by (it'll list zero bugs while it still points to the old one, and you might see that for a while).  The php/server/etc. are running on newer versions, so let me know if there are weird hiccups.  I already had to change some configuration options, and there are bound to be other odd issues.  I couldn't get the old "bay12games.com/forum" links to redirect in the usual way, so those will all be broken until I get that sorted out, once the change propagates.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 08:48:54 pm »

I couldn't get the old "bay12games.com/forum" links to redirect in the usual way, so those will all be broken until I get that sorted out, once the change propagates.

Could be a .htaccess thing? I remember something similar when I used to do webdev.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 10:32:45 pm »

It's the nginx config file, I think, but the one provided didn't have a server block this time, so I'm not sure where to put it.  I didn't try fiddling around with it much yet...  it didn't help that there were also five nginx config files, and I don't know which one is the right one.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 02:02:16 pm »

It's the nginx config file, I think, but the one provided didn't have a server block this time, so I'm not sure where to put it.  I didn't try fiddling around with it much yet...  it didn't help that there were also five nginx config files, and I don't know which one is the right one.
Try blatantly destroying each one by one until it crashes. :P
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.